Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big chip on A-pillar -- what's involved to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pickup up my new MX last week and there was a very noticeable chip at the bottom of the A-pillar where it meets the hood (thought it was the hood scraping against it but wasn't). The paint is chipped right off so you can see metal. They saw it and agreed to fix it. I'm scheduled to take it in later this week.

What is involved in fixing something like this? I'm worried about them taking a bunch of the panels off because the fit and finish of the rest of the car is great with no rattles and no wind noise. Or are they able to mask off parts of the car and fix it in place?

At this point you have no choice but to let them fix it. Since you picked it up, you accepted delivery and the only recourse is a fix. These kind of fixes are always noticeable up-close, so if it doesn't bother you much, don't over stress it. When close to a panel line it should be less intrusive than mid-panel. Also it is unlikely any body panels come off. They will use touch up, not spray.

Reactions: WiseShepherd
At this point you have no choice but to let them fix it. Since you picked it up, you accepted delivery and the only recourse is a fix. These kind of fixes are always noticeable up-close, so if it doesn't bother you much, don't over stress it. When close to a panel line it should be less intrusive than mid-panel. Also it is unlikely any body panels come off. They will use touch up, not spray.
They are estimating a 2 week repair time so guessing they will be repainting. Kind of worried about misalignments when it gets put back together.

I have the same exact issue. Tesla is saying they won’t cover it. It’s clearly a paint defect as it starts in a covered area. The hood doesn’t rub. I showed a friend of mine who has an X and he said he had the same issue on 2 Xs.
IMG_3760.jpeg

I have the same exact issue. Tesla is saying they won’t cover it. It’s clearly a paint defect as it starts in a covered area. The hood doesn’t rub. I showed a friend of mine who has an X and he said he had the same issue on 2 Xs.View attachment 1020480
For some reason I can’t figure from this picture what part of the car I’m looking at. Why is this panel looking pried away with such a large gap? Is this really the bottom of the a pillar? Do you have a zoomed out pic?

Reactions: GOVA