Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a trailer hitch to the Model S for the express purpose of using it as a bicycle carrier?
I have read in American threads that Torklift makes a hitch for the MS called EcoLift. Canadians price is about $800 then installation but where would be a location with experience?

Georgetown VW is an authorized Torklift installer and they have experience on Teslas.

Contact Joel Posthumus @ (905) 877-5285 ext 311.

Back in February this year they provided me an all in quote (including the hitch,trailer wiring, installation, and tax) at about $1300 CDN.

Before proceeding, I called Tesla to see what the official policy might be. Tesla Service Lawrence replied that the warranty, certainly for all power train components, related electronics and probably the battery too would be voided. Just the installation of the hitch whether it's ever been used or not is enough to void the warranty. Perhaps this is a limitation too far for me....

Before proceeding, I called Tesla to see what the official policy might be. Tesla Service Lawrence replied that the warranty, certainly for all power train components, related electronics and probably the battery too would be voided. Just the installation of the hitch whether it's ever been used or not is enough to void the warranty. Perhaps this is a limitation too far for me....
This is just an opinion, IMHO.

Installing a hitch should have no affect on any warranty unless it can be shown that modification caused the issue. This is primarily US law precedent but if Tesla ever plays games with me on this subject, I'll be pursuing legal action.

That's absurd, and not legal. They can't disallow the warranty unless they can prove that it caused the problem.

If you have towed something and subsequently there is a problem with the power train then how do you know the towing has not been related to it? If they expressly state do not ever tow anything because it might do such damage then I cannot fault them for voiding the warrantee. Look at it from their perspective. Even if you really did only use it for a bike rake, how are they to know that?