Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bilingual navigation confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I took delivery of my Model Y eight weeks ago and aside from the steep learning curve I have one issue which I cannot solve. In Ireland most of our road signs are bilingual. i.e Irish and english. The navigation directions, with english as the selected language, attemps to speak a combination of both languages. The English pronunciation of the Irish language is nonsensical. Is there any solution to this? English is my preferred choice. The system in other cars has nonsuch problems

I believe the navigation system will always use one language, the one you chose for that purpose. I'm also in a bilingual environment, I prefer the English UI but I live in a location where everything is French (I speak French). The navigation system trying to say French street names in an English way is hilarious. I've since turned off the navigation sounds/voice, I just look at the screen directions.

Reactions: broke_S
Upvote 0
I believe the navigation system will always use one language, the one you chose for that purpose. I'm also in a bilingual environment, I prefer the English UI but I live in a location where everything is French (I speak French). The navigation system trying to say French street names in an English way is hilarious. I've since turned off the navigation sounds/voice, I just look at the screen directions.
Thanks. My problem is that the system uses both languages as a single direction. For example “ Dublin Road , Bothar Baile Ath Cliath”. That line is uttered as a single phrase with the second part being mangled by the English pronunciation attempt. I only want the first part. Our signs display both but maps do not.

Upvote 0
I believe the road in Google Maps is simply named Dublin Road in that case, based on a quick search and without knowing exactly which one you're talking about. In one search Google did show that alternate name on the result but the result wasn't a street directly, and it doesn't show it on the map itself. I'm not sure where Tesla take their street names database but it might contain the full thing. If you zoom in on the map in your car, what name shows on the map itself?

Upvote 0
Hi. I took delivery of my Model Y eight weeks ago and aside from the steep learning curve I have one issue which I cannot solve. In Ireland most of our road signs are bilingual. i.e Irish and english. The navigation directions, with english as the selected language, attemps to speak a combination of both languages. The English pronunciation of the Irish language is nonsensical. Is there any solution to this? English is my preferred choice. The system in other cars has nonsuch problems
You could try putting in a service request. They may think you're being a pain in the neck but it will at least alert them to the problem. There is probably an easy fix but it won't get fixed if they don't know something is wrong.

Upvote 0
No such confusion with Google or Garmin.
Nor with my previous Kia or Suzuki
I believe the road in Google Maps is simply named Dublin Road in that case, based on a quick search and without knowing exactly which one you're talking about. In one search Google did show that alternate name on the result but the result wasn't a street directly, and it doesn't show it on the map itself. I'm not sure where Tesla take their street names database but it might contain the full thing. If you zoom in on the map in your car, what name shows on the map itself?
Tesla maps seems to only display the English version, at least around where I am in Cavan. Turning into my own street the spoken guidance is the garbage mix of both. And I have read that Tesla uses Google mapping.
You could try putting in a service request. They may think you're being a pain in the neck but it will at least alert them to the problem. There is probably an easy fix but it won't get fixed if they don't know something is wrong.
Yes I suspect a direct approach to Tesla is the next step. I tried changing my region to UK but that only changed from Kilometers to miles. It’s a pity because other than the language issue the navigation system is excellent.

Upvote 0
Hi Brownep, wondering did you get anywhere with Tesla on this? I’m going to log a ticket myself too. Annoying thing for me is the map is full English when viewing the maps ex navigation but immediately switches to bilingual once I start navigation to somewhere. White box text bottom left changes from e.g. Merrion Square to Cearnóg Mhuirfean and back again if I start navigation then end trip.

Upvote 0
Hi Brownep, wondering did you get anywhere with Tesla on this? I’m going to log a ticket myself too. Annoying thing for me is the map is full English when viewing the maps ex navigation but immediately switches to bilingual once I start navigation to somewhere. White box text bottom left changes from e.g. Merrion Square to Cearnóg Mhuirfean and back again if I start navigation then end trip.
I have a new model 3 LR now for a week and it really changes the driving experience - really enjoy it and its different way of doing things. One thing I dislike though (and of course it is a first world problem), the mangling of Irish and English road signs/names in navigation as reflected in this post. It is irritating and surely there must be a fix. Another related issue is how it interprets my voice instructions - bizarre results in response to simple commands. For example I asked it earlier today to “navigate to Stillorgan” - a Dublin suburb. After many attempts and silly results I just gave up. My accent isn’t particularly strong and I spoke slowly, tried several variations…. Will it ever learn to understand me - even the missus has at this stage! I had a BMW 530e and its nav system and voice commands worked a dream from the very first command. It’s the only thing I miss from it - I much the overall Tesla experience and if only these little irritants could be fixed ……

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0