Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bill of Sale for trade in (cancel Excise Tax)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had frustrations trying to cancel their excuse tax bill on the vehicle they traded in to Tesla? My town won't cancel the excise bill of our Rogue we turned in, saying they need the Bill of Sale. We provided the Order Agreement paperwork on the Tesla site that shows our trade -in on it, but they said that's not enough. Not sure what to do at this point?

Has anyone had frustrations trying to cancel their excuse tax bill on the vehicle they traded in to Tesla? My town won't cancel the excise bill of our Rogue we turned in, saying they need the Bill of Sale. We provided the Order Agreement paperwork on the Tesla site that shows our trade -in on it, but they said that's not enough. Not sure what to do at this point?
Just make one up. Stupid towns.

Reactions: jeffco98
Whoops! Massachusetts!!

We tried calling Tesla Dedham where we bought the car. Finally hung up after one hour and forty-five minutes on hold.
It's been a while, but as I recall no excise tax is charged on unregistered vehicles. Call the town and confirm, but I think if you (a) take your Rouge's plates to the Registry, return them and get a plate return receipt to show to the town or (b) transfer the plate to the new car and show them the new registration you're ok.

I think the registry may do on line plate cancellations now, so you don't have to go in to do (a).

Reactions: Cowabunga
When I sold a car in a private sale, I found a site online with free legal documents for selling a car, including a bill of sale. I needed that for applying to the town to prorate the excise tax. It's supposed to also be signed by the buyer when you sell the car. I think you have to pay for the full month or maybe even quarter the car was sold in; it isn't prorated down to the day as I recall. This should all be automatic when a new title is issued, but instead it's kept completely separate, even if the same car is registered by someone else in the same state.

Reactions: Cowabunga and jlv1