Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bill of sale modified after being signed. Is that normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I bought another Model 3 recently. I signed documentation at delivery and asked for copies.

Then I receive another set of copies via email from my delivery advisor so that I could register the car.

I noticed that the typed purchase price on the bill of sale on my copies was removed on the new set of copies and someone hand wrote another value in that box a few grand higher... after I had signed the document at a different price...

The bill of sale where the modification was made states that they swear the information is correct, false statement is a crime of perjury, yada yada.

No one reached out to me. Is that normal practice? Seems like a no no.

Last edited:
They are being dicks with me on other stuff so I probably will... They also didn't have or give me a monroney yet again on this car or mail me one like they said they would and gave me other old paperwork like old incorrect mvpa, etc. that they said they would have changed by the time i took delivery but never did. Ugh.

They are being dicks with me on other stuff so I probably will... They also didn't have or give me a monroney yet again on this car or mail me one like they said they would and gave me other old paperwork like old incorrect mvpa, etc. that they said they would have changed by the time i took delivery but never did. Ugh.

I didn't get a monroney either. DA looked at me funny when I asked for it and said they would email...

Why would they modify MVPA?

Unfortunately this appears to be very normal practice for Tesla. The customer experience is probably among the worst in the industry if you need them to do anything other than deliver a car. My delivery advisor called me unproved several times and made promises he never kept. He went on several vacations during the few month wait for the car, and ended up giving me the email to his boss. I contacted him when they assigned me the wrong car and asked for more money, he never responded. The people at the service center took 4 weeks to register my car and my temp registration nearly expired before I got the real one. They changed the address to send the check for payment without saying this anywhere, and ‘sent me to collections’ when I told them I sent it to the address on the MVPA. I would have been willing to go through Tesla for financing, but they raised my rate without saying anything and apparently also did 3 hard pulls in the time I waited. Many other minor issues as well. I only contacted them when it was clear there was an issue, or they asked me to do something. I didn’t call angry asking for my car or anything of the sort. The only time anything got done is when I called the 1-800 number, or Seth in Vegas handled it. Seth was on the ball, responsive, knew answers to questions, and didn’t lie or mislead. Everyone else sounded like they were hired from a temp agency the day before with no instruction. Which might have been the case...

Unfortunately this appears to be very normal practice for Tesla. The customer experience is probably among the worst in the industry ...

I think its a bit unfair to say that this is normal from Tesla, while your experience may have been unfortunate, I don't think its typical.

My experience was fantastic. The rate on for my loan was just slightly lower than what I had been told to expect, there was only one minor paperwork issue - they hadn't got my updated figures in the contract for loan amount to take into account my trade in, but to be fair they also delivered my car six days earlier than anticipated (and at my request set me up a same day appointment the evening of the morning the car came off the truck so I could do that, as I wasn't available on the Saturday that week) and they fixed it quickly despite it being very busy (it was half way through June, so end quarter rush). Everything happened smoothly and on time for me. I took delivery in Montreal, they were very professional and helpful.

Poor experiences can happen anywhere, when we bought my wife's Toyota about two years ago, we had a problem where they didn't send in the registration paperwork properly like the previous poster - at a conventional dealership, not that big of a deal, they fixed it after a phone call. People coming here to these forums pre-purchase (as I did before I bought my Tesla) should keep in mind the fact that the 99%+ that have great experiences rarely make noise about it, and the 1% (or less) that do often go out of there way to tell everyone - and perhaps moderate the weight they put on those reports.

That said, it would not surprise me if there wasn't a bit more "SNAFUs" right now, given their very significant growth curve. That does likely present both staff training and experience challenges for them, as well as workload pressures. Certainly it seems from reports online they have challenges in service especially (not that I've had that many "fantastic service" experiences from ANY car manufacturer!)... but I don't think bad, or shady, practices are anything like "normal" on the purchase side.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboles
Tesla Delivery Experience is worse than dealing with a car salesman at a lot. I picked my LR yesterday and these guys wanted me to leave them a Blank check because the amount due would be filled in at “Tesla Corporate”. I was there for about 1 hour arguing that there was no way I was leaving a blank check. They finally got “approval” and I was able to write the check for the amount due. I was ready to walk, now I am hoping they actually submit any of the paperwork before the 7 day period. I love the car but I can see issues in the future with warranty service and any type of customer service. Musk needs to get people who know how to run a business in there ASAP.

• Helpful
Reactions: jrcase and super20g
I ended up dealing with a handful of people at Tesla, and overwhelmingly they were not competent. It took 3 phone calls and a week to get my app working since my car was locked in transport mode. The first two people just said ‘sometimes these things take a few days’, even though it was something like 4 days after delivery before the first call. After around a week, the person handled it as I would have expected the first call to go and it was no problem. I had to sign and send in my registration paperwork 3x since they claim they lost it the first two times. Unfortunately I could go on.

Independently these things aren’t that big of a deal. But minor problems over and over with different people really shows a serious issue. I’m a very reasonable person and this wouldn’t put me off buying another Tesla. However, I think a considerable amount of people would be less understanding. Quite a few of the issues are probably related to the home delivery, nobody at the service center knew how that worked. My brother ordered a car at the same time as me, but his was delivered within the 2 weeks. His delivery went a bit smoother, although they didn’t deliver the car with registration or plates, which I’m told is illegal. The guy said he would get the plates in the mail the next day, but it ended up taking 3. The car is exceptional, but the service has ample room to improve.

I didn't get a monroney either. DA looked at me funny when I asked for it and said they would email...

I thought it was a 1K fine for each occurrence of no monroney attached to the vehicle being sold... I guess no one enforces it though. Both the DA and her manager have been with Tesla far too long to be making mistakes like modifying legal documents after the customer has signed them without telling the customer and telling me the printer is out of ink that prints the monroneys, while handing me copies of other documents she just made... I was buying a SR and not a SR+ so I am guessing they sold me a SR+ and didn't want to give me a SR+ monroney because that is a no no as well to downgrade a customer lower than the specs on the monroney...

They seem to just operate fast and loose and have no fear of repercussions from those above... I talked to the regional service manager and he wouldn't even comment directly on the delivery issues or the service issues I am having. Just told me aggressively it is too late to return and then got mad by the end and wanted me to return even though I just wanted out of spec issues addressed... Weird behavior... I asked for his directors contact information and he refused stating that he is the top and I can't speak to anyone higher than him... I'd be fired for telling a customer that kind of thing. Especially when the customer is bringing up legitimate legal and service issues on a recent purchase.

I really do like electric cars and Tesla has some pretty good ones right now, but the company itself is terribly ran and managed if you have actual problems that you want to be addressed...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jrcase and vickh
Tesla Delivery Experience is worse than dealing with a car salesman at a lot. I picked my LR yesterday and these guys wanted me to leave them a Blank check because the amount due would be filled in at “Tesla Corporate”. I was there for about 1 hour arguing that there was no way I was leaving a blank check. They finally got “approval” and I was able to write the check for the amount due. I was ready to walk, now I am hoping they actually submit any of the paperwork before the 7 day period. I love the car but I can see issues in the future with warranty service and any type of customer service. Musk needs to get people who know how to run a business in there ASAP.

Simple-Blank-Check-for-All-Purpose-min.jpg

I just want the company to clean up their act. Makes me re-think my long TSLA position, that is for sure. But then again I have seen plenty of other terribly ran companies eventually overcome and experience great growth.

they're lucky their product is that good. I and a lot of other people had similar issues with their CPO delivery process