Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biodefense mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gee I'd really like to see the specs on "bio defense' hepa filter. This is really a sad gimmick if you know anything about bioweapons!!!! So someone is gonna drop bad biological agents on you and you are going to live in your car to protect yourself? I cannot stop laughing. Please smart Tesla sisters and brothers go learn about Bioweapons and know that this is just a silly gimmick. Take for example the current SARS2 pandemic. The virus does not float in the air and find you to infect you. It is a membrane virus and breaks apart in air, wind and sun. It is no longer infectious by the time it would hit a hepa filter. SARS2 is transmitted by contact with infected others, not by floating around your car. Note this is not for chemical weapons, that is a totally different thing. As a virologist and someone who has taught about the weaponization of biological entities I really cannot stop laughing.
Lighten up, Francis. :cool:

The recent counterclaims in this thread are also just not true. The virus which causes COVID-19 (which is called “SARS-CoV-2,” not “SARS2”) is absolutely spread without direct contact between individuals. We’ve known that since early last year. It’s primarily spread via respiratory droplets in the air. I have to doubt that a competent (and real) virologist is posting that kind of inaccurate information.

Is bioweapon defense mode going to clean the vehicle’s air quickly enough that you’d be safe with an infected person (with this or any similar contagion) in there with you? No, certainly not. Is it likely that an infectious respiratory droplet would make it from the outside world into your car through a normal cabin air filter? Also very unlikely. Does the new filter provide some benefit to people who live in larger cities with lower air quality, wildfire regions, or other similar situations? Yes, it almost certainly does.

Think what you want about Tesla’s “marketing names” for features, but even if a feature fails to live up to what it sounds like it ought to do, that doesn’t make it useless to everyone.

The recent counterclaims in this thread are also just not true. The virus which causes COVID-19 (which is called “SARS-CoV-2,” not “SARS2”) is absolutely spread without direct contact between individuals. We’ve known that since early last year. It’s primarily spread via respiratory droplets in the air. I have to doubt that a competent (and real) virologist is posting that kind of inaccurate information.

Is bioweapon defense mode going to clean the vehicle’s air quickly enough that you’d be safe with an infected person (with this or any similar contagion) in there with you? No, certainly not. Is it likely that an infectious respiratory droplet would make it from the outside world into your car through a normal cabin air filter? Also very unlikely. Does the new filter provide some benefit to people who live in larger cities with lower air quality, wildfire regions, or other similar situations? Yes, it almost certainly does.

Think what you want about Tesla’s “marketing names” for features, but even if a feature fails to live up to what it sounds like it ought to do, that doesn’t make it useless to everyone.
Very good summary. For Tesla names seem to not have to be fully accurate, i.e. FSD.

Reactions: Darblish