Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused? MY biodefense have it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Y on June 26, 2021. Is it supposed to have the biodefense filter? I cannot find the icon for it. My Tesla expert friend says all models except 3 have the biodefense filter. I have never seen the icon on my car screen or in the app. A YouTube guy says he got his Y just “under the wire” in July 2021 to get the biodefense. I am totally confused. Please someone relieve my confusion.

The only thing I found when internet searching (because I dont know this answer either) was that it appears it might have been introduced after July 1 2021. if you dont see the icon, you dont have the mode.

You could always submit a service request in the tesla app to find out how much it might be to add it, or see if they offer that.

If your Model Y has the Bioweapon Defense (BWD) HEPA filter the BWD icon (to me this icon looks like an alien creature) would appear on the Climate Control screen. If you add the needed parts for the HEPA filter you would still need a cooperative soul within Tesla Service to add the BWD mode feature to the software configuration for your vehicle. Also, no Model 3 sold in the US has BWD (there is not enough room underneath the hood.) I don't know if Model 3 made in China have the BWD.

The only thing I found when internet searching (because I dont know this answer either) was that it appears it might have been introduced after July 1 2021. if you dont see the icon, you dont have the mode.

You could always submit a service request in the tesla app to find out how much it might be to add it, or see if they offer
You do not have biodefense filter.
You do not have biodefense filter.
Not that I can determine. No icon any where. Do you? When did you get your Y? After July 2021? Got mine late June.

Got my Y on June 26, 2021. Is it supposed to have the biodefense filter?
I got my Y around that same time (two days later on Musk's 50th birthday) and we both just missed getting bioweapon defense mode. It was announced in mid-July:

They said there was going to be a retrofit available but so far, that has not come true. I think someone did it DIY but it was not for the faint of heart. Oh well.

Back when I had my S I did the HEPA filter myself. When it came time to change it, mobile did it and the tech added the button for me. At least on the S it was as simple as telling the car you had the filter, or words to that effect. It is likely similar for the Y.

Why do you want biodefence? lol...sure, sounds very intriguing, but....lets break it down.

It's a huge filter. Need to remove some trim pieces to get at it. Takes probably an hour or more to do so. Non-standard filter, so it costs a lot. And, it's a great place for rodents to build nests.

Why do you want biodefence? lol...sure, sounds very intriguing, but....lets break it down.

It's a huge filter. Need to remove some trim pieces to get at it. Takes probably an hour or more to do so. Non-standard filter, so it costs a lot. And, it's a great place for rodents to build nests.
An hour? Maybe the first time. It takes me under 10 minutes to strip the frunk and access the filter.

I was pretty happy to have it when the air quality tanked in the northeast this past week.

Reactions: rolling green
Got my Y on June 26, 2021. Is it supposed to have the biodefense filter? I cannot find the icon for it. My Tesla expert friend says all models except 3 have the biodefense filter. I have never seen the icon on my car screen or in the app. A YouTube guy says he got his Y just “under the wire” in July 2021 to get the biodefense. I am totally confused. Please someone relieve my confusion.
Look under the hood. Is the vent at the windshield slotted the whole way across or only passenger side half?
All the way is HEPA/biodefense.

It isn't a bio-defense filter... it is a big diesel pickup truck defense filter! Some chode looks like he is about to roll coal on you, hit the button!

Keith

PS: Yes, I realize that for us poor slobs without bio defense you can just hit the recirc button to defend against the big diesel pickup truck...

Reactions: BitJam

Actually I don't need a biodefense filter, I was just curious if my Y had one. It does not and I am fine with that.

FWIW the filter works all the time when pulling in outside air. No need to push the Biodefense mode button unless you need to create positive pressure inside the cabin to ensure smoke or particulates don't seep in elsewhere. It was nice knowing it was there when the air quality in the Northeast was absolutely awful a few weeks ago. The car was one of the safest places to be.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin