Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biodefense mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in 4 years with my model S, we never used bio defense mode. More of a gimmick.....
Certainly not a gimmick for us. We have used it a lot. In two particular situations, it came in really handy trying to escape a big California fire. And added to that, it practically eliminates my wife's issues with allergies on a long trip. So maybe a gimmick for you. :)

Certainly not a gimmick for us. We have used it a lot. In two particular situations, it came in really handy trying to escape a big California fire. And added to that, it practically eliminates my wife's issues with allergies on a long trip. So maybe a gimmick for you. :)
We find it comes in handy when passing feedlots in Nebraska and Kansas.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Found pictures of it on Reddit.

Gee I'd really like to see the specs on "bio defense' hepa filter. This is really a sad gimmick if you know anything about bioweapons!!!! So someone is gonna drop bad biological agents on you and you are going to live in your car to protect yourself? I cannot stop laughing. Please smart Tesla sisters and brothers go learn about Bioweapons and know that this is just a silly gimmick. Take for example the current SARS2 pandemic. The virus does not float in the air and find you to infect you. It is a membrane virus and breaks apart in air, wind and sun. It is no longer infectious by the time it would hit a hepa filter. SARS2 is transmitted by contact with infected others, not by floating around your car. Note this is not for chemical weapons, that is a totally different thing. As a virologist and someone who has taught about the weaponization of biological entities I really cannot stop laughing.

Gee my old Pruis V had such a good filter that I my allergies are less and no fire smoke either in the car. I'd like to see the scientific specs on what a tesla biodefence filter actually does. I was told by a Tesla rep that there are after market hepa filter available that can replace the current non-hepa filter for about 150$. Who knows if that is true?

• Helpful
Gee I'd really like to see the specs on "bio defense' hepa filter. This is really a sad gimmick if you know anything about bioweapons!!!! So someone is gonna drop bad biological agents on you and you are going to live in your car to protect yourself? I cannot stop laughing. Please smart Tesla sisters and brothers go learn about Bioweapons and know that this is just a silly gimmick. Take for example the current SARS2 pandemic. The virus does not float in the air and find you to infect you. It is a membrane virus and breaks apart in air, wind and sun. It is no longer infectious by the time it would hit a hepa filter. SARS2 is transmitted by contact with infected others, not by floating around your car. Note this is not for chemical weapons, that is a totally different thing. As a virologist and someone who has taught about the weaponization of biological entities I really cannot stop laughing.

Hi BlissDancer:

You can see the specs here:

• Informative
I think you might be taking that name a bit too seriously. We all know that some of the Tesla names don't often relate to what they really mean at the time. Like others, we didn't buy it because we thought we were going to survive a bio war or something. We bought it for the features that actually work for the purpose to which we bought it ;) I seriously doubt anyone bought it and thinking they will be protected against an eminent bioweapon attack.

Last edited:
Thanks, but the relevant testing is to compare the current filters to the hepa filters or so does this mean the current air filters do not filter the air at all? Why have them then? I am confused by the logic if the initial air filters do not filter air Tesla is selling us a fraud. This is a quote from Tesla about replacing the air filters that come with the car, not biodefense hepa filters. "Model 3 has air filters that prevent pollen, industrial fallout, road dust, and other particles from entering the cabin through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing these filters every 2 years (every year in China). Cabin filters can be purchased at the Tesla online store." So then this is fraud if this filter is useless compared to the hepa filter. Does anyone have data comparing the two filter systems?

• Disagree
Reactions: AlexHung
Thanks, but the relevant testing is to compare the current filters to the hepa filters or so does this mean the current air filters do not filter the air at all? Why have them then? I am confused by the logic if the initial air filters do not filter air Tesla is selling us a fraud. This is a quote from Tesla about replacing the air filters that come with the car, not biodefense hepa filters. "Model 3 has air filters that prevent pollen, industrial fallout, road dust, and other particles from entering the cabin through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing these filters every 2 years (every year in China). Cabin filters can be purchased at the Tesla online store." So then this is fraud if this filter is useless compared to the hepa filter. Does anyone have data comparing the two filter systems?
I haven't been able to find much direct comparison data. This is the most useful chart I could find, and admittedly it's not much to go off of:

1626466577697.png

It's not clear if the label "HEPA filter cleans ambient test environment" is for the grey line chart, as that seems to also be labeled "Air quality outside model X". As someone who works in data visualization these sorts of things give me an eye tick.

"Elon Musk claims that Tesla Model S and Model X are actually capable of saving their occupants in a military-grade bio-weapon attack and is not just a marketing gimmick."

Do with that what you will.

Source: How Tesla's 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' is helping the ones affected by CA wildfires

"Elon Musk claims that Tesla Model S and Model X are actually capable of saving their occupants in a military-grade bio-weapon attack and is not just a marketing gimmick."

Source: How Tesla's 'Bioweapon Defense Mode' is helping the ones affected by CA wildfires
Thanks for that wildfire link. Haven't seen that one before, yet we can say for certain that the MX in that "whatever you want to call it bio-mode" helped us incredibly well during the Paradise fire where we actually didn't think we were going to make it out of there alive with the friends we visited. They wanted to wait it out in the house with the windows closed as the smoke was terrible. Wife and I said we are going, and they came with us. We had no problem at all with smoke in the car. I could detect a hint of smoke outside, but we certainly were not coughing and gaging like some people in other cars when we got to Chico and heard what they experience on their drive out.

So we are really glad to know it helps in that situation. Could we have made it in another car with good filtration? Probably so, but we will never know as some people were overcome by smoke and didn't make it. Having said that, I am not going to go as far as to say I would trust Elon's claim of making it through a bio attack as a result of other questionable claims. Let's hope the USA doesn't come to test that claim ;)

Regular air filters work. They are not fraud. They do prevent the listed items from entering your car.

HEPA filters work better. As the above articles alluded to:

"HEPA, short for High Efficiency Particulate Air is a standard for air filters developed by the United States Department of Energy. In order to meet the standard, a filter must be able to stop 99.97% of particles 0.3 micrometers in diameter."

There are degrees of effectiveness. HEPA filters are better filters. In order to stop bioweapons, you need to have a really good filter. That is what the Tesla article I linked is describing. Elon said that the Bioweapons Defense Mode filter is '100x more effective' than traditional air filters. [Tesla's Bioweapon Filter Is Another Line Of Defense Against COVID-19]

It removes “at least 99.97% of fine particulate matter and gaseous pollutants, as well as bacteria, viruses, pollen, and mold spores."

Reactions: ucsdsig

Musk can claim whatever he likes but I don’t see the data for such a claim. Where is the comparison to the filters we all have versus the “bio defense” ones? The Tesla website clams the regular filters protect from viruses, bacteria, industrial pollution etc. I am scientist and I don’t believe things just because someone makes a claim. Tesla Is not above gimmicks as we all know. 😂😂😂

Musk can claim whatever he likes but I don’t see the data for such a claim. Where is the comparison to the filters we all have versus the “bio defense” ones? The Tesla website clams the regular filters protect from viruses, bacteria, industrial pollution etc. I am scientist and I don’t believe things just because someone makes a claim. Tesla Is not above gimmicks as we all know. 😂😂😂
The main benefit of Bio Defense mode, notice I didn't say bio defense filter, is the fact it keeps the cabin under positive pressure. The HEPA filter is nothing new or magical, it will filter the air coming into the vehicle with 99.97% efficiency for particles with a minimum diameter of 0.3 micrometers.