Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biodefense Order Tracker - For Non-PUP Old-Timers

Did You Order the HEPA Filter/Biodefense Upgrade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks that are ordering, i am just wondering if there is any Tesla OEM filter available that could be self installed or would you guys suggest go with the Tesla factory install for $500? I didot take PUP option at the time of ordering (i regret).

Folks that are ordering, i am just wondering if there is any Tesla OEM filter available that could be self installed or would you guys suggest go with the Tesla factory install for $500? I didot take PUP option at the time of ordering (i regret).
I wouldn't go with any of the aftermarket solutions. I haven't seen a single one that was actually a HEPA filter. I bought the filter from Tesla back before they offered the upgrade for $200 or so and installed myself. Now that they offer the upgrade, they might be more restrictive about selling the filter separate. Even $500 is a good deal, especially since you get the software button.

I wouldn't go with any of the aftermarket solutions. I haven't seen a single one that was actually a HEPA filter. I bought the filter from Tesla back before they offered the upgrade for $200 or so and installed myself. Now that they offer the upgrade, they might be more restrictive about selling the filter separate. Even $500 is a good deal, especially since you get the software button.
I agree it will be professionally installed

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and this last fall we had a series of wildfires that destroyed several towns, killed dozens of residents of the area, and many acres of forest over 100 miles north of us. This was a devastating event for those poor residents who lost lives, properties and all their personal possessions. I do not wish to make light of that terrible time.

During that time the air quality was terrible here, and it took weeks to clear. During this time I had to drive to Sacramento and the smoke was so thick, you could not see more than a block in downtown Sacramento. You can bet that I used the biodefense mode in my X during those several weeks. Several Model X owners posted videos and reports of air quality inside and outside the vehicle with particle detectors. Even Elon got in the act, suggesting that the Model X and the biodefense mode would be a good car to rescue people from the area.

Mike P

UPDATE: (Text in red)
  • 22 Jan, 2019 - Ordered
  • 19 Feb, 2019 - Notified that part had arrived at chosen Service Center. Need to schedule appointment to install.
  • 15 Mar, 2019 - Scheduled appointment for install. Scheduler commented that install will take less than an hour.

I ordered Jan 17th. Never got a call about it being in stock, but had an appointment for the annual service on Feb 27th. I told them about it, and they just took care of it at the same time. Not sure if they had a few in stock already or if they special ordered it.