TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Biometric authentication by phone as alt. option to PIN

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by bangtidy, Jan 9, 2020.

1. bangtidy

bangtidy Member

Just wondered if anyone has previously suggested having the option to use the biometric sensor on a connected phone to authenticate before being able to drive off ie. instead of optionally requireing a PIN.

The problem with entering a PIN everytime is that it's hardly secure given that entering it on the screen makes it so obvious to anyone that might be watching.

It would also be nice to be able to quickly authenticate with the car via the phone in this way as you walk towards the car so that once you're in, there's no need to faff around in the same as you have to when entering a PIN number.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if there's any kind of channel for making feature suggestions directly to Tesla?

2. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

It already has that :)

If you turn on remote start, it uses face-id

• Like x 1
  3. NorfolkMustard

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  4. Vipercat

Vipercat Member

@NorfolkMustard , I believe ‘bangtidy’ is referring to the PIN to Drive feature in the car and not accessing the App via a PIN.

5. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

You can remotely 'start' the car via the app without having to enter PIN to drive. That can be additionally protected.

6. bangtidy

bangtidy Member

Ah okay, that's interesting. But is there an option that allows me to not start the car unless biometric authentication or a PIN number is used? I'll have to have play with it.

The issue at the moment is that I don't want to use a PIN but that means that anyone with access to my phone could take the car. I know this is really the same as someone having access to the keys/fob to a normal car, but requireing a biometric authentication (if it's done well) ought to add significantly to the car's security.

• Like x 1
  7. NorfolkMustard

Yep. I have both pin-to-drive and face-ID enabled at the same time.

face-id overrides pin-to-drive (you don’t see it on the in-car screen if you used face-ID within last 2 minutes)

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. bangtidy

bangtidy Member

Excellent - that's just what I needed to know - thanks!

9. Cwmwd

Cwmwd Member

Might be an interesting application for the internal camera in the car...

10. bangtidy

bangtidy Member

Judging on Tesla's abilities at voice recognition, I'm not so sure about that!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

Theres an internal camera in the M3? Where is it and what's it used for?

12. AndyWrightUK

AndyWrightUK Member

It's in the rear-view mirror housing (the part bonded to the windscreen).

13. Cowpring

Cowpring Member

I thought that was just a light sensor for automatically dimming the rear view mirror. It's a proper camera? Mad.

Does the car using it for anything except dimming the mirror?

14. AndyWrightUK

AndyWrightUK Member

At the moment it isn't used but there's talk of adding it to the Sentry recordings apparently.

15. Chalks99

Chalks99 Member

That would be super cool !

16. Jason71

Jason71 Active Member

Its real purpose is to keep an eye on passengers when your robo taxi is off on its own doing its thing. Seriously. Thats why it is not used right now. The Sentry mode think is a recent idea to make use of it.

17. Torokruger

Torokruger Member

According to the new Sony car (copied M3 cough !) it recognises driver with external and internal camera

18. Daverh

Daverh Member

I'd like to be able to view it in the app, even if only as a low-res stream.
    If our son is asleep in the car when we get home from a journey we often leave him there to finish his nap while we get in and cook dinner etc. I usually just take a usb powered wifi ip camera into the car and keep an eye on him from one of the wall displays but a built-in baby/dog monitor would make life a little easier.... getting imaginative, you could also have video call to reassure them if they wake. Maybe I should Tweet Elon :D

19. tess19

tess19 Member

Its ok with face id on phone but using the key card, anyone can drive if you lost the wallet with it inside

• Like x 1
  20. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Under typical settings, key card is still subject to pin to drive - I had to turn off pin to drive when having car worked on by third parties.