Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bird eye view

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is disappointing. The birds eye view is so helpful when parking in spaces and insuring alignment between lines. Also, no cameras to warn you when your close to the curb when parking. This is a must with performance wheels. 😠

Sounds like you could benefit from some parking practice in an empty lot. All you need are mirrors.

Sounds like you could benefit from some parking practice in an empty lot. All you need are mirrors.
While I agree with the general statement and I've NEVER seen a group of car owners who can't NOT curb their wheels, my '10 X5M had birds eye with 3 cameras yet my '17 X with at least 6 cameras doesn't...why is beyond me. I've seen an aftermarket option that's stupidly overpriced at around $2k but requires drilling holes in the side mirrors to install the cameras there.

Reactions: cwerdna and jiehan
I have a very hard time centering my Model X in a parking space. Could be because I am vertically challenged, but I just cannot see the lines once I have committed to pulling into a space. If I put the car in reverse before I put it in park, I can see the lines in the backup camera and make adjustments if needed. Once done, putting the car in forward does not turn off the backup up camera view. Still, I think that is pretty lame for such a smart car.

Also, and this is a bit off topic, the self parking feature is so bad and getting the elusive "P" is so sketchy, that I never, ever use it. Does anyone else? Sure, I could back in to a spot manually but I usually need access to my trunk, so I pull in head first and since that part does not work for me, the whole parking thing is useless.

I really expect more from Tesla in this category. It is Driving 101. It the vehicle can't park properly, how could it act like a driverless Uber car? (Yes, I have FSD Beta active.)

Not trying to bitch, just hoping to help improve the car.

I have a very hard time centering my Model X in a parking space. Could be because I am vertically challenged, but I just cannot see the lines once I have committed to pulling into a space. If I put the car in reverse before I put it in park, I can see the lines in the backup camera and make adjustments if needed. Once done, putting the car in forward does not turn off the backup up camera view. Still, I think that is pretty lame for such a smart car.

Also, and this is a bit off topic, the self parking feature is so bad and getting the elusive "P" is so sketchy, that I never, ever use it. Does anyone else? Sure, I could back in to a spot manually but I usually need access to my trunk, so I pull in head first and since that part does not work for me, the whole parking thing is useless.

I really expect more from Tesla in this category. It is Driving 101. It the vehicle can't park properly, how could it act like a driverless Uber car? (Yes, I have FSD Beta active.)

Just turn on the rear camera view with side cameras active. The side cameras provide a very good view of the parking space lines and/or adjacent vehicles. It is very easy to see if you are correctly aligned. Also if you pull through the space to park on the far side, you can also see the end of the parking space as you pull through.

You can buy a kit. It's replace the backup camera with a hdmi option. Pushing a button on the steering wheel change between the hdmi and the original backup camera. You find it on eBay. Search for Tesla HDMI input.
It's add 4 cameras on your car.
(Yes, it's stupid on a expensive car. But the HDMI input is actually nice! I had a gopro to watch the kid in the back. Used a "China" chrome cast later and had then ability to stream with a phone.

Being that the camera is almost useless (especially without birdseye), I've got my side mirrors set to dim downwards and then I just watch to keep myself between the lines that way.

I'm assuming it's like anything else Tesla in that the more you use it, the better it gets. The first time I used self parking was laughable...my GF could have done better and she can't park straight pulling forward into a spot, let alone backing. Parallel and back-in parking has gotten better after a couple uses. Also keeping the cameras clean probably helps.

Just turn on the rear camera view with side cameras active. The side cameras provide a very good view of the parking space lines and/or adjacent vehicles. It is very easy to see if you are correctly aligned. Also if you pull through the space to park on the far side, you can also see the end of the parking space as you pull through.
While everyone assumes based on their personal vehicle that everyone else has the same features, but pre-refresh doesn't use the fender cameres for changing lanes or backing up.

You can buy a kit. It's replace the backup camera with a hdmi option. Pushing a button on the steering wheel change between the hdmi and the original backup camera. You find it on eBay. Search for Tesla HDMI input.
It's add 4 cameras on your car.
(Yes, it's stupid on a expensive car. But the HDMI input is actually nice! I had a gopro to watch the kid in the back. Used a "China" chrome cast later and had then ability to stream with a phone.
I've put a kit like that on my F150 and it made me cringe having to drill holes into my side mirrors on a $25k truck so doing it to something that costs 3-6x as much isn't going to be a huge seller. Hopefully Tesla will migrate the side repeater software onto pre-refresh vehicles instead. HDMI kits like BeatSonic are a work-around at best.

While everyone assumes based on their personal vehicle that everyone else has the same features, but pre-refresh doesn't use the fender cameres for changing lanes or backing up.
My 2017 100D uses the fender cameras for backing up. It was added in a software update quite a while back, you have to turn it on, but it's capable. It's true that it won't pop them up for changing lanes, but you specifically said "or backing up."

Reactions: m5james
Sure they do. I used them for years on my 2018, backup and two sides. Now the oldest vehicles in the fleet, do not have side cameras, but any vehicle that has the cameras, can use them, in reverse automatically, or manually at any other time. You may have to turn them on, by touching the cones in the corner (lower left IIRC).

• Helpful
Reactions: m5james and mxnym