Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your partner lost a USB drive that is now worth about $100,000,000? Ouch.

When I considered Bitcoin several years ago, securing the availability and integrity of the bitcoins was my biggest concern.

At the physical level:

Storing multiple copies of the private keys on different media types would increase the probability of them being available, but also increase the probability of theft. Storing the keys on encrypted media was a partial solution, but that only resulted in the problem of having to secure a decryption password.

If I just kept the password in my memory, there was the chance I could forget it, or suffer a head injury that could cause me to lose the memory. If I printed it out, someone could steal the password and then steal my coins.

My general solution was to divide up bitcoin holdings into multiple partitions, A, B, and C. Each partition would be copied to (1) an encrypted USB drive and (2) the private keys themselves cyphered and printed onto archival quality paper. The passwords a, b, and c for corresponding partitions A, B, and C, would be stored with a different partition. For example, the paper and USB drive with A would be stored with the password b. The resulting 3 bundles, Ab, Bc, and Ca, would each be placed in tamper evident envelopes, stored in safety deposit boxes at different banks in different towns, and their integrity audited at random time intervals. I would keep the safety deposit box keys on my person and memorize a, b, and c.

I also had considered a home network setup with a PC that only booted off a Linux DVD-ROM with which to conduct transactions.

In the end I decided this was too much of a pain in the rear.

Buying Tesla stock was just easier, and I preferred the Tesla mission to Bitcoin’s dubious prospects.

I just keep my private key jotted on a post-it note on my monitor.

I know it was a joke but I was curious how many post-its you'd need or how small you'd have to write. You could write the same private key as either

* E9873D79C6D87DC0FB6A5778633389F4453213303DA61F20BD67FC233AA33262
or
* 5Kb8kLf9zgWQnogidDA76MzPL6TsZZY36hWXMssSzNydYXYB9KF

That's the same private key with different encoding. It's also the sample key from Wikipedia so don't go assuming it has coins.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I know it was a joke but I was curious how many post-its you'd need or how small you'd have to write. You could write the same private key as either

* E9873D79C6D87DC0FB6A5778633389F4453213303DA61F20BD67FC233AA33262
or
* 5Kb8kLf9zgWQnogidDA76MzPL6TsZZY36hWXMssSzNydYXYB9KF

That's the same private key with different encoding. It's also the sample key from Wikipedia so don't go assuming it has coins.
He hyphenates it.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Is it correct to assume that, the higher Bitcoin goes, the weaker the dollar will get? Because you could see Bitcoin as a vacuumcleaner that sucks up all the dollars that the printing presses are spitting out? Hence undoing the quantitative easing? Inflation as a result?

Well the dollar is weak as we know it. It’s been losing value/purchasing power since the 1910’s.

Reactions: David99
I started doing my cryptocurrency research, with a focus on the transaction cost issues. Looks like Litecoin has inherent advantages over Bitcoin; Ripple has major advantages over both; and the banks are designing blockchain ledgers which have all the advantages of Ripple without being a currency.

:sigh:

I really think Ripple will take off and is going to replace the likes of western union and SWIFT. Which will not exist anymore at some point.

there is big opportunity for big gains over the long run by HODLING. Seeing how they are focused on banks and big financial institutions, there is a lot of utility to use Ripple for these folks. I see either Ripple or Litecoin as being an actual currency type. Bitcoin is going to be digital gold as a store of value do to its deflationary design.

Ripple is one to look at and research if anyone hasn’t.

Yep. He tries REALLY REALLY hard not to think about it. LOL.
Depending on how well you know your friend....but, if he is like 99.99999% of the rest of the human race....you might consider some time suggesting how supremely unlikely it would have been for him not to have sold - or at the very least traded in and out - those BTCs in subsequent years.

Depending on how well you know your friend....but, if he is like 99.99999% of the rest of the human race....you might consider some time suggesting how supremely unlikely it would have been for him not to have sold - or at the very least traded in and out - those BTCs in subsequent years.

Oh, he's aware of that. But regardless, he's still out a significant sum of money, whether he sold at 100, 1000, or today's price.

There are fundamental differences between so called cryptocurrencies like Bitcon, Litecoin and other.

Who can recommend good links that explain them and the pros and cons in depth?

Although I am deeply skeptical on them for an investment I believe in the Blockchain technology and the underlying business case.

There are fundamental differences between so called cryptocurrencies like Bitcon, Litecoin and other.

Who can recommend good links that explain them and the pros and cons in depth?

Although I am deeply skeptical on them for an investment I believe in the Blockchain technology and the underlying business case.

Bitcoin (BTC) - Live Bitcoin price and market cap is an OK place to start, I think. From there you can deep dive into each coin via their website and read the white paper, etc.

There aren’t a lot of good neutral in-depth analysis sites out there right now. It seems like everyone has a favorite coin and tends to reflect that in whatever they are writing, so I take everything with a grain of salt.

I really think Ripple will take off and is going to replace the likes of western union and SWIFT. Which will not exist anymore at some point.

there is big opportunity for big gains over the long run by HODLING. Seeing how they are focused on banks and big financial institutions, there is a lot of utility to use Ripple for these folks. I see either Ripple or Litecoin as being an actual currency type. Bitcoin is going to be digital gold as a store of value do to its deflationary design.

Ripple is one to look at and research if anyone hasn’t.
What exchange do you use to buy Ripple in the US? I had trouble with Kraken (site errors due to excessive traffic?) and Bitstamp (looks like they don't take deposits from US banks?). I appreciate any suggestions as I'd like to take a small position here, preferably before a potential listing on Coinbase. Thanks in advance.

What exchange do you use to buy Ripple in the US? I had trouble with Kraken (site errors due to excessive traffic?) and Bitstamp (looks like they don't take deposits from US banks?). I appreciate any suggestions as I'd like to take a small position here, preferably before a potential listing on Coinbase. Thanks in advance.

Binance - transferred btc/eth/ltc from coinbase to binance then bought alts. But you can deposit directly in theory.

I just did this hop, and used Binance as well. I was already established and fully verified with GDAX/Coinbase so here was my chain:

Buy LTC from GDAX (No fees with a Limit order)
Transfer LTC from GDAX to Binance (quick and low fee vs BTC)
Traded LTC into BTC at Binance (annoying extra step)
Bought XRP with BTC
Transferred XRP to my hardware wallet leaving about $.020 in BTC change at Binance.

Think I lost a few dollars since LTC was trading lower on Binance than GDAX, but otherwise I was able to accomplish the whole process within an hour which included signing up with Binance.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Bebop
Has anyone successfully been a part of a hard fork with Bitcoin? I didn’t own any BTC when the Bitcoin Cash fork happened back in August. Coinbase just updated their app and now you can trade/buy/sell BCH on there now. So for every Bitcoin you had you would get one Bitcoin Cash.

I missed out on the Super Bitcoin hard fork as I didn’t have a full coin when it happened.

There are a couple hard forks coming up in the next few weeks and now that I have at least 1 BTC AND I have ownership of my private keys (I have mine cold stored on a physical wallet), I’m able to take advantage of essentially the free money. Just curious on anyways expierence who has gone through the process.

Has anyone successfully been a part of a hard fork with Bitcoin? I didn’t own any BTC when the Bitcoin Cash fork happened back in August. Coinbase just updated their app and now you can trade/buy/sell BCH on there now. So for every Bitcoin you had you would get one Bitcoin Cash.

I missed out on the Super Bitcoin hard fork as I didn’t have a full coin when it happened.

There are a couple hard forks coming up in the next few weeks and now that I have at least 1 BTC AND I have ownership of my private keys (I have mine cold stored on a physical wallet), I’m able to take advantage of essentially the free money. Just curious on anyways expierence who has gone through the process.

I had bitcoin before August, and indeed now I have Bitcoin Cash in my coinbase account. Now suddenly BCH is my biggest individual position, so I think I need to sell a good chunk. I have to read up on BCH to determine it's "value".