Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bitter cold and snow in GTA vs my Model 3 (LR, RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weather is really doing a number on the battery, but all and all the car is handling it well. AWD with snow tires have been great, but can get a little squirrly taking left or right turns from a stop. I feel Tesla could tweak the traction control algorithm a little bit.

Does anyone have an issue if you set the charge limit to 90%? For me it actually stops and says charging complete at 89%

Tesla now recommends Model 3 charging to 90% for normal driving (especially in the winter!). If you have been charging to a lower level for your daily driving, continue charging to 90% to help the BMS re-calibrate over a period of three or four charges and it will start charge-completion to your setting of 90%.

Charged up to 84% for Sunday morning. Drove my son to hockey and a couple of small errands - got back to the house at about 2:00 pm with 52%! (And I did not drive very many KMs). Plugged in for the next few hours and got back to 84% for some more evening hockey practice. (Seems like a good chunk of my time is driving to and from rinks).

In the deep freeze we are having, the battery suffers badly.

I found the winter tires (Sotto II) just ok. Granted the roads were pretty slippery but I thought the grip was just ok. I also found the "All wheel drive" is a little slow to engage (relatively speaking). I am not sure how the car is designed to detect wheel spin, but I found starting off from a red light, the back would fish tail more than I am used to (my last several cars have been AWD) before the traction kicks in on the other set to straighten you out. In my opinion, it reacts far closer to a RWD car, than other AWD cars I am used to when it comes to slippery winter conditions.

I also found the side windows fog over terribly. Unlike many other cars, there is no vent built into the door which can blow air directly onto the side windows near the side mirrors. True, I can direct the front vent to blow air onto a similar area, but in my opinion, it does not work as well as the dedicated side mirror / door vents.

At speed, the wipers are not great - in town or at rest, the wipers do a good job of clearing the windows.

Having said all of that, the ability to pre-heat the car, or even to leave the heat on while you run into Starbucks for a cup of coffee is golden!

This weather is really doing a number on the battery, but all and all the car is handling it well. AWD with snow tires have been great, but can get a little squirrly taking left or right turns from a stop. I feel Tesla could tweak the traction control algorithm a little bit.

Does anyone have an issue if you set the charge limit to 90%? For me it actually stops and says charging complete at 89%
Tesla Dual Motor cars are rear biased. The rear motor does most of the work, that's why you'd notice the back end kicking out sometimes. Most people don't realize this. Depending on what models your previous AWD cars were, they might have been front wheel drive biased and send power to the rear when necessary.

Usually only higher end AWD cars are rear wheel biased for performance reasons.

120V at 12A won't cut it in this temperature, especially if the car is outside. Do you access to a high amperage plug? Like dryer/washer NEMA plug?
I dont... i just bought another house... and am in the middle of a reno at the new place.. it has garages.. lol part of the reason i bought it... i held off installing the wall charger at my current house... cause i figured id be buying a bigger place and figured id save the cash..

I use percentage of energy left instead of distance. I find it more accurate.

In summer, I would multiple it by 5; in mild winter by 3; this weekend, it is 2. Doing so, will give me a much better idea of how far I can go.

But man, the Grimsby Supercharger is the best I have seen. It was charging at over 700 km/hr compared to may be 300 km/hr in Markville mall. I think both of them are rated at 175 kw. There are nobody sharing the charger with me in both cases.

• Love
Reactions: corlaandstan
I dont... i just bought another house... and am in the middle of a reno at the new place.. it has garages.. lol part of the reason i bought it... i held off installing the wall charger at my current house... cause i figured id be buying a bigger place and figured id save the cash..

I know. The problem is SO is the last person that you want to give anxiety to. They will say you spend so much money on M3 and we have to worry about battery level; we don't have that kind of problem with ICE.

Another reason why I still keep my ICE for the time being... To cold, not enough juice in M3, just drive ICE.

Tesla Dual Motor cars are rear biased. The rear motor does most of the work, that's why you'd notice the back end kicking out sometimes. Most people don't realize this. Depending on what models your previous AWD cars were, they might have been front wheel drive biased and send power to the rear when necessary.

Tony has this right - we owned both a Audi S4 (with the Sport differential) and Acura TLX (SH-AWD). I was initially shocked at the rear end giving out on the S4 (first time with AWD) with winter tires on. I had to manually change it the non-sport setting in order to minimize the rear end fish tail. The Acura on the other hand just goes with little drama - but that is FWD bias while the Audi was RWD bias. Big difference in how they tackle road conditions.

Tesla now recommends Model 3 charging to 90% for normal driving (especially in the winter!). If you have been charging to a lower level for your daily driving, continue charging to 90% to help the BMS re-calibrate over a period of three or four charges and it will start charge-completion to your setting of 90%.
Hmmm I wonder if its a calibration issue? I started to charge at 90% from 80% around Nov, but noticed the car rarely stops its charge at 90%, completes at 89% even though the app is set to 90% (below the trip range indicators).

Last edited:
Tony has this right - we owned both a Audi S4 (with the Sport differential) and Acura TLX (SH-AWD). I was initially shocked at the rear end giving out on the S4 (first time with AWD) with winter tires on. I had to manually change it the non-sport setting in order to minimize the rear end fish tail. The Acura on the other hand just goes with little drama - but that is FWD bias while the Audi was RWD bias. Big difference in how they tackle road conditions.

Exactly, perfect examples. Which is why even the Dual Motor Tesla's aren't infallible to the rear end kicking out. They may correct a split second sooner than the RWD cars but it can still happen.

Hmmm I wonder if its a calibration issue? I started to charge at 90% from 80% around Nov, but noticed the car rarely stops itscharge at 90%, completes at 89% even though the app is set to 90% (below the trip range indicators).
Same thing happens to mine, set to charge at 90% daily and it completes with 89%. Sometimes it shows 90%, not sure what's up.

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
As part of the battery re-calibration, Tesla also wants us to charge to 100% every now and then, on top of the normal 90% charge for daily driving, which should clear up this issue, as it did mine.
I have the car charging now while at work. Will let it juice up to 100% and see how it goes. Been about 2 months since I last charge it to 100%, but that was at a supercharger.

Reactions: noicepls
For those experiencing more slippage than they expected when going from a stop on slick/snowy roads, be sure your driver's acceleration profile is set to Chill mode. Otherwise, you'll pretty much just get extra slipping.

The front motor is smaller than the rear one. Maybe that’s why it’s rear biased. However we are looking at a disruptive ev design... there is mechanical torque distribution system other than two individually computerized motors.

The front motor is smaller than the rear one. Maybe that’s why it’s rear biased. However we are looking at a disruptive ev design... there is mechanical torque distribution system other than two individually computerized motors.

It's rear biased on all the Tesla's with dual motors. Not all Models have a larger rear motor, with the S & X only the Performance models have a larger rear motor. The front motors engage for efficiency purposes, acceleration and stability to name a few. The rear motor does most of the work.

• Informative
Reactions: bijan
For those experiencing more slippage than they expected when going from a stop on slick/snowy roads, be sure your driver's acceleration profile is set to Chill mode. Otherwise, you'll pretty much just get extra slipping.
^ This. I found a tip on Reddit that suggested creating a new driver profile named Snow (or whatever works) and setting Acceleration to Chill and Battery Regen to Low. I also set Creep to Off on mine. Whenever the roads get bad, just switch profiles.

I didn't know the driver profiles saved all these settings, I thought it was just seats and mirrors, so it was a TIL thing.

As for range, it's been pretty miserable the last couple of days. I stayed home most of the weekend due to the cold, but Saturday I drove 13 Km with 42% efficiency, and Sunday I drove 19 Km with 48% efficiency. But, it's only 3-4 months that we have to deal with this, then it'll warm up.