Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Black Next-Generation seats" in 2014?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
I took delivery of my car this week, a 2014 P85D. Loving the car, but I think that the car has the wrong seats! How can that even happen?

Sticker:
11/2014 build
Extended Nappa Leather Trim
Black Next Generation Seats

But the rear seats don't have any bolsters between them, and the front seats have the same stitching as the 2016 "Leather", plus red piping around the edges and Alcantara bolsters. In fact, mine look the same as below (photos source: automotive.com).

2014-tesla-models-front-seatsjpg.jpg

2014-tesla-models-rear-seatsjpg.jpg

This is in contrast to the "Next Generation seats" that TMC/Tesla reported in October 2014
P85D - NEW Seats Announced - Finally!!

It seems I have "Performance Seats" - was that ever put on Monroney stickers or just what Tesla put in as the "NextGen" for the P85D lineup (the way the new P100D has different seats)?

November/December 2014 P85D's are known as the "black hole" cars as there were supply issues with the NextGen seats leading to delivery delays. Tesla ended up installing regular leather or the old "performance" leather seats on many of these cars to get them delivered and then a few months later we brought our cars back to our local service centers to have the seats swapped for the NextGen seats. Most likely the original owner of your car declined the retrofit or didn't get the retrofit for whatever reason (logistics? preferred the alcantara and red piping?). Tesla also encouraged customers to decline the rear NextGen seat retrofit claiming that they didn't fold flat, but that turned out not to be true. They discontinued the rear NextGen seats shortly after that but did honor the retrofit requests for the original orders. Whatever the case, you should definitely ask for the retrofit for both front and back. The NextGen seats are much better. IMO, the bolstered rear NextGen seats have a much more premium look and feel and are a perfect match for the front NextGen seats.

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

Last edited:
Thanks for such a detailed reply. My car was a 2014 inventory car (used for demo), so it makes sense that Telsa never chose to spend more money on their own car. I like the Alcantara and stitching, but I sort of feel like my car is overpriced if it doesn't have the correct seats.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. My car was a 2014 inventory car (used for demo), so it makes sense that Telsa never chose to spend more money on their own car. I like the Alcantara and stitching, but I sort of feel like my car is overpriced if it doesn't have the correct seats.

Get the next gen front seats. Yes, they are that much better and you'll basically have brand new seats in your used car. Why not...? :)