TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Black seats in hot climate?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Cosmacelf, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Anyone here have black seats in a southern, hot climate? Do the seats ever get too hot? I was going to get the windows tinted too...

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I have black textile seats... The seat temp (including the pleather) is never an issue. Sometimes the air inside gets quite hot, but the seats, no.
    No Pano if you were wondering. Medium tint on my windows, this may be helping.

3. JBrown4390

JBrown4390 Member

I have Black Next Gen Leather in Dallas. No problem at all.

4. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

How hot? Hotter than San Diego, I presume. I have tan, but I've had plenty of black loaners and they're hot enough to remind me that I'm happy I chose the lighter color.

5. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Someone had this same thread recently... Consensus was it's not really a big deal with good tint and precooling! I have black leather and pano in central FL. Not a huge problem at all.

6. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Living in SoCal, with recent heat waves, my black textile seats doesn't feel hot on the surface at all. Almost all my previous cars had leather, I don't have regret getting textile seats in MS.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

Pre-cool--no worries. And if you have a regular schedule, you can set Preconditioning in your S.

8. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

My black leather seats are fine here in the hottest city in California- fresno. Same as other cars. With precool app, no issues.

9. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I have black seats. I'm not as far south as you in California, but pre-cooling has prevented me from ever testing out hot black seats, if they even exist. :)

10. msp85+

msp85+ Member

I have tan seats in San Diego, I agree with @Khatsalano, its hard to find out if you use pre-cooling, but that being said, I've never had hot seats except for the time I drove to Palm Springs for the week and left my phone. I must say the tan seats were hot that day.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Precool is THE SAVIOR! It really is my favorite thing about the car when not thinking about driving and such. And my friends are truly amazed when they open the door and the car is 65 when it's 100 outside. Pretty neat.

I used to only have black on black cars. No longer. They are way to hot for me. I now have Midnight Silver Metallic (Steel Grey, back in the day) on Beige. Still hot, but not so bad. Thinking about the tint...

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Well, you have to get tint - it makes a huge difference...

13. jlucero

jlucero Member

in dallas with black car and black leather. its hot, but not too hot to touch or anything. kids havent complained about it. the biggest complaint is the chrome hot door handles!

14. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Agree, and it makes the car looks much better.

15. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Not a tint fan, each to their own, but not tinting mine, drove it all summer here in Fresno, it's fine.

16. msp85+

msp85+ Member

Tint is key

17. tstafford

tstafford Member

Plenty hot here in Nashville and with 35% tint I've never had any issue with the seats being hot.

18. president_ltd

president_ltd Member

If parked with sun coming in the windscreen on a hot (90+F) day in NorCal, yes black next gen seats are HOT to touch when wearing shorts.
    Just turn on cooling a few minutes beforehand and its fine - or wait 10 seconds and its not an issue.

Its no worse than any other car.

19. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Atlanta, 3 months with my all black MS, no regrets except showing more dirt on the carpet. I do have good ceramic tint.

Worst so far was when I left it in the sun for 5 hours on a hot day. The app said it was over 120 inside, but it was cool when I got there 10min later.

20. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

No problems with black leather seats, handles though, i often have to use my t-shirt as my oven er.. handle mitt.