Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Seats In Hot Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although opinions will vary, how are the black vegan seats in warmer climates?

I live in the South and am partial to white exterior cars with tan cloth seat - not a fan of the summer seat burn or constant back sweat.

If not preconditioning, I appreciate any comparisons/experiences.

Thanks,

SW Florida with Tesla sun shield under front roof and using spring open windshield shades the car seats are no problem. We usually crack all the windows also. We don't use any heat protection. It would be nice if when the windows were cracked, they automatically went up when it rained but that would probably require turning the camera on every minute or so to detect the rain and use energy

It gets hot. I have tint on all my windows which helps and I use a sunshade for the windshield. I checked the internal temperature one time and if I remember correctly it was 141 degrees. I park in a relatively safe area while I am at work and I crack the windows to help keep the car cooler. I try to pre-cool the car before I get in it but sometimes I forget and it is hot, no question about it. This car does not get as hot as my last car, my last car would be so hot I could not touch the steering wheel.

I love black interiors and I have had many cars with them. Black interiors seem to retain more than other colors. As we know all cars get super hot in the heat. Use the app on a hot day and cool the car. If I am running quick errands at the store I use the app to keep the air going.

The seats get stupid hot. My wife screamed from the heat once when we got in the car and she was wearing shorts.

Wearing pants though, I can feel the intense heat at first but it quickly subsides. I have never screamed (externally).

1. I'm in Austin TX
2. No tint as of yet.
3. Car isn't in a garage.

• Funny
Reactions: RScottyL
I don't live in the south. But in the summer it gets pretty damn hot in New England. I've almost always had black interiors.

Hot or not hot, UV destroys things. Including plastic external parts. So I always mange to find a spot of shade.
That might be a bit more difficult in places like Florida or Texas.
I'll let my car get tree sap on it before I let it cook in the sun with the windows shut.

I always crack the windows too. My VWCC would close windows when it rains. I wish the Model 3 could perhaps do that one day.
Or at least allow control remotely.

My interiors and exteriors usually still look great after 10 years. Once you clean the sap off the outside and the dog hair off the black interior inside ;)

Rarely have I ever burned a leg. But it has happened on occasion. Even in cars without a black interior.

I guarantee if I lived in the South I'd at least have a Car Port.

Just went through summer in Dallas. I don't have the windshield tinted. If I left the car out in the sun for an hour or more without the sun shade up, the part of the front seats exposed to direct sunlight through the windshield would get uncomfortably hot for exposed skin. Sun through the tinted windows and top glass didn't get the seats that hot.

It buuuuurrrrrnnnnssss! Even with a windshield sunshade up and Spectra Photosync 30 everywhere else (including all roof panels), it's hot! But it's over 100 most of the summer and tops 115 during the hottest parts of summer here. Conversely, all my other cars, including a recently purchased BMW are also white exterior (most heat rejecting color) with tan interiors. The BMW's leather is REALLY light. No tint at all in the BMW other than the factory privacy stuff (which I understand to not have any heat rejection properties, even on the massive pano moonroof). MUCH cooler. The color of the seats makes a huge difference.

If you live where it's hot, at least ceramic tint is a necessity if you've got the black interior.

Black interiors concern me here in Phoenix, especially the screen. Yesterday the interior read, at one point, 121 degrees before the self-cooling kicked in. Will be taking it in for ceramic tinting this week. We got eh Std Range and I wish it had the cloth seats, but it came with the synthetic leather (which has an annoying odor and gets really hot).