Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Black window trim and power trunk ] Retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd expect you can buy any of those parts (probably individually though, not as a kit) and DIY

How easy they are to swap might be another story.... (trim is probably remove/replace mostly, the trunk kit might need wiring work or something though)

Is the trunk thing just that it raises the lid more when you pop it- or are they doing the thing where you can have your hands full, waive your foot under the bumper, and it pops up?

Because that second one seems super useful- the first one not so much (if you had a hand free to hit release you have one to raise the lid)

Is the trunk thing just that it raises the lid more when you pop it- or are they doing the thing where you can have your hands full, waive your foot under the bumper, and it pops up?

Because that second one seems super useful- the first one not so much (if you had a hand free to hit release you have one to raise the lid)

Probably like the Model Y with the full raise, and height memory. Don't think it has the kick to open thing.

Yeah, given that the kick sensor is available as a non-OEM addon for the Model Y, I'm guessing it's not on the Model 3: Model Y Electric Tailgate Kick Sensor | Hansshow tesla accessories

I doubt they'll install a foot sensor since the Model Y doesn't have one. I think having a power trunk is more useful for closing than it is for opening. If you're holding a bunch of grocery bags in your hands then it's difficult to close the trunk.

Had a ranger come out today to reinstall one of my door handles as it has been installed incorrectly from the factory. I asked him about this retrofit.

The brightwork on the doors just pops off. It’s not stuck down or anything, which was a surprise to me. I think one could do all 4 of these oneself.

The rear quarter trim, as said above, is a one piece unit that includes the glass. It is bonded to the car, so not a trivial thing to remove. Presumably a service centre job involving a fair amount of labour.

The door handles are assemblies, and fitting them involves taking the door completely apart - glass and actuator out. It took him about an hour to remove and refit one handle. I’d assume the door handles aren’t cheap either. I’d be surprised if you got any change from $1000 doing all 4.

The wing mirrors are expensive, I know that much. I believe they are in the region of $400 each.

So all in all I think a satin black retrofit would probably set you back around $2000-2500?

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I'm pretty sure someone posted on here about a trim retrofit. If I'm not mistaken it was $1800 with installation, but I'm not sure if that included the door handles. Overall I'm pretty happy with my vinyl chrome delete, but it was a lot of time and effort to get it as close to perfect as possible (first time doing vinyl install), and I'm a little hesitant to hit it with the spray when pressure washing the car. If it starts deteriorating I may buy the black trim and install it myself. I'm really surprised they used the chrome to begin with.