Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650GW Dual Power Draw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, hoping someone here might have some more 'real world' information on the BlackVue 650GW Dual cam setup. I have a 60D on its way to me (Horray!) and would like to put a F/R Dash cam in. Of course in an ICE car connect, go, don't worry about it. In a Facelift 60D, I have the smallest battery available.. how much 'real world' will this camera setup draw from the system? I plan on using the Teslarati install instructions but will likely plug it into the cigarette lighter for switched power. Any other recommendations on a better power source? My guess is that this system probably doesn't use much more than charging a phone.

Thanks!

Here is a data point for you.

Before blackvue:
1-2 miles overnight vampire drain

After blackvue:
3-4 miles overnight vampire drain.

Since thr blackvue is always recording I guess per day (24 hours) I am probably draining 12 rated miles vs 4 rated before.

Hope this help.

I have the 90D.

It should be switching into parking mode and only recording events. You might want to check your settings if yours is recording 24/7.

Reactions: malken00
I plan on using the Teslarati install instructions but will likely plug it into the cigarette lighter for switched power. Any other recommendations on a better power source?

If you use a switched power source the cameras won't record when the car is off. I think the cameras recording in parking mode is one of the real benefits of the system. I'd recommend using a different source for power, so that you can take advantage of parking mode recording.

Good luck!

Well, I currently don't have either the car or the camera. So that will pretty much only be theory (with approximations).

The answer should be: "Negligible, but..."

Negligible because, if you are just using the camera plugged into the 12V adapter plug and asking what real world range impact the camera would have on the car. Then the worst case scenario consumption of the camera (650S-2CH with Wifi on) is 4.8W at 12V. Compare that to the ~40kW (notice the "k") instant power needed to keep the car going forward at descent speed and you have a factor of >8000. For a 60D that's about a 60 yard loss of range. No worries ;-)

As for the ", but...", If you use the camera with parking mode on, that means hardwiring it to the fusebox, without using the "Power Magic Pro" (whose job is to cut the power off after some conditions are met (set time, or cut-off voltage)), then the same 4.8 Watts will likely drain your car 12V battery in less than 20 days. Because the car's main battery pack (60kWh) is not used when the car is powered off, only the 12V battery is supplying power to the onboard systems.

So, the advice is: don't hardwire your Blackvue camera to a constant 12V supply (parking mode), and leave for a 2 weeks holiday. Other than that, no worries.

Feel free to correct if I said any kind of dumb things

Cheers

As for the ", but...", If you use the camera with parking mode on, that means hardwiring it to the fusebox, without using the "Power Magic Pro" (whose job is to cut the power off after some conditions are met (set time, or cut-off voltage)), then the same 4.8 Watts will likely drain your car 12V battery in less than 20 days. Because the car's main battery pack (60kWh) is not used when the car is powered off, only the 12V battery is supplying power to the onboard systems.

So, the advice is: don't hardwire your Blackvue camera to a constant 12V supply (parking mode), and leave for a 2 weeks holiday. Other than that, no worries.

Feel free to correct if I said any kind of dumb things

Cheers

I know you were trying to help, but I'm pretty sure you did say "kind of dumb things." :)

I am almost certain that there is no problem whatsoever leaving on a two week trip, even if you have hard-wired the Blackvue, because the 12V battery will be recharged, as needed, from the traction pack.

Like others have said the real benefit of hardwire is so you have 24 hours recording even when you park. So if anything happens you know. It will draw power from your 12V battery but since tesla main battery recharges the 12V you are good. If you have a gas car then have the adapter to cut the power when your 12V gets low.

I drive my car everyday so it is not really and issue of prolong current draw.

I know you were trying to help, but I'm pretty sure you did say "kind of dumb things." :)

I am almost certain that there is no problem whatsoever leaving on a two week trip, even if you have hard-wired the Blackvue, because the 12V battery will be recharged, as needed, from the traction pack.

:D

Well that a very good question indeed! I was pretty sure the pack was not at all used when the car is powered off. But maybe that changed along the hardware revisions.

I read somewhere that the new 100kWh battery pack has this capability, implying that other didn't...

:D

Well that a very good question indeed! I was pretty sure the pack was not at all used when the car is powered off. But maybe that changed along the hardware revisions.

I read somewhere that the new 100kWh battery pack has this capability, implying that other didn't...

I am almost certain that from Day One, the Tesla 12V pack was recharged as needed, by the traction pack, in all models.