Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue Dash Cam Static Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently installed a Blackvue dash cam model 650S where the video works fine but intermittently I have been getting lots of noise on sound recordings. I replaced the device once and I still have the same problem intermittently. I'm thinking that it may be electromagnetic interference as it sounds like static. I wired the power up to the connector that is underneath the microphone panel in the roof. When I plug the same dash cam into my ICE vehicle or in my house I don't get the static. Looking online, I don't see folks talking about such a problem and many have this same Blackvue dash cam (650S). In the link below is a video with sound where you can listen to the crackling. It's odd as it seems to be intermittent... goes away for a while and then comes back.

Blackvue crackling sound - Google Drive

Any thoughts on the cause?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Okay, next question. Did you use the outside wire for your 12v from the connector inside the speaker grill? There's three wires, As a frame of reference, calling the empty hole as #1, then #2 is ground, #3 is 10v (we don't use it) and #4 is your 12v connection.

I used the black wire as ground (which is your #2 position) and the red wire as the 12v (which is your #4 position). I also have a fuse in series with the 12v power line in the wire harness that I made. I think this matches what you wrote.

I used the black wire as ground (which is your #2 position) and the red wire as the 12v (which is your #4 position). I also have a fuse in series with the 12v power line in the wire harness that I made. I think this matches what you wrote.
Yes, it does. All sounds good. Wish I could offer more ideas. Sounds like you are right on all you have done.
As K-MTG says, reboot. Never hurts.

I really question the reliability of the 650s. I bought mine Dec 2106 and I've gone through 2 in the first 5 months of owning it.
They work fine for about a month then the wifi and GPS start acting up. Doesn't connect to the cloud and the videos don't show my speed.
I got them replaced under warranty but each time I sent it out it took 1.5 months before I received the replacement.
I received the 3rd one last night.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Yea, I have rebooted and updated to the latest firmware. I am also now testing the device outside of my car in my hot garage, plugged into a 12v dc converter plugged into an AC outlet. I'll let folks know how that goes. Russell, you mention reliability issues, have you ever had sound recording issues or even the voice feedback like "wifi connected" sounding garbled?

Reactions: Akikiki
Yea, I have rebooted and updated to the latest firmware. I am also now testing the device outside of my car in my hot garage, plugged into a 12v dc converter plugged into an AC outlet. I'll let folks know how that goes. Russell, you mention reliability issues, have you ever had sound recording issues or even the voice feedback like "wifi connected" sounding garbled?

The few times I replayed my videos I did not have sound issues.
The female voice feedback has always been clear.

We have a 650S but don't use the cloud or have the audio turned on. I'll see about changing the audio setting and letting you know on that front. Had our camera in operation since March. Only one we've had. Had an occasional file corruption which we cleared on our rear camera but attribute that to overheating on the camera with it sitting in our sun with sun beating on the rear window. Even with COP there's not a lot of air circulation there. Many days in high 90-100 range.

Have you considered your wiring placement? Maybe wire is near something else in the car that is causing interference. Believe there's wiring that runs down the drivers side and what GPS in the side mirror/s? Can't remember what I read. We had ours installed professionally so don't really know how they did ours but no problems with operation as far as we know.

I'm using a DR650S-2CH also. I have recently swapped it for a DR550GW-2CH. I'm in the process of rewiring to install a Front/Left Side and Rear/Right Side dual DR650S install. Elon hinted recently to turning the S into a hotspot. I am planning for using the 2 650S cloud feature to see the car 360 view.

Yeah he did that about three years ago and it never happened. Even if, I doubt they would allow streaming video data. That would be a huge amount of data.

Yeah, he did. And a little more recent than three years ago.
There's also the option of just putting a separate hotspot in the car - if I choose.
One need not agree with my plan and I won't depend on a guess about allowing streaming video.
Elon Musk is considering a Tesla in-car Wifi hotspot and dynamic 360-degree surround view 22 May 2017
Tesla in-car WiFi hotspot could be enabled "pretty easily", says Musk 23 May 2017
:)

I had the same issue with my older DR650GW-2CH after the cam was running continuously for a couple months. The speaker was crackling like it was blown and the recorded audio also had the same crackle. Ended up power cycling the camera and it has been fine since.

Have you tried formatting the memory card outside of the cam? I know they recommend a format of the SD card every so often. Also, if you have adjusted the video quality settings, try putting those back to normal to see if it changes the situation at all.

Thanks Skysurfer for the advice. Yes, I have power cycled a number of times, tried different microsd cards and formatted them using the Windows Blackvue viewer. I haven't tried playing with the video quality settings. Have you seen an interaction with sound and video settings?