Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing and installing the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH. I just had a few questions.
Does anybody here recommend any particular installer in Sydney?
My windscreen looks a little different from Rays above, Photo below as per Teslarati's DIY page. Does this improve the placement?
Tesla-BlackVue-HD-WiFi-Dashcam-7.jpg

With the rear camera, does anybody have the cable showing when opening the boot? As can been seen on this photo below.
Tesla-BlackVue-HD-WiFi-Dashcam-11.jpg

Thank you to everyone in advance.

:)

Mine is installed in the locations in your Teslarati photos - virtually invisible when driving, hidden by mirror. The rear cable is fully hidden in my install. Done by The Car Kit Company - very happy with them.

GPS works fine for me. Takes a few min of driving before it locks in, but then works fine. Unit is permanently connected to battery. I also have a Testra wifi hotspot in my car so I can view the camera outputs remotely at any time via Blackvue Cloud.

I agree with the comments about backing off the event sensitivity. Very easy to do.

Mine is installed in the locations in your Teslarati photos - virtually invisible when driving, hidden by mirror. The rear cable is fully hidden in my install. Done by The Car Kit Company - very happy with them.

GPS works fine for me. Takes a few min of driving before it locks in, but then works fine. Unit is permanently connected to battery. I also have a Testra wifi hotspot in my car so I can view the camera outputs remotely at any time via Blackvue Cloud.

I agree with the comments about backing off the event sensitivity. Very easy to do.
Thanks for your reply Colin. That's good to hear that there are no gps signal issues. Behind the rear view mirror is the best spot in my opinion. In relation to the Telstra hotspot, where do you have that plugged in?

Thanks again for the info

Thanks for your reply Colin. That's good to hear that there are no gps signal issues. Behind the rear view mirror is the best spot in my opinion. In relation to the Telstra hotspot, where do you have that plugged in?

Thanks again for the info

I have it plugged into the USB port in the centre console. The unit just sits in the little tray under the USB port. No problem at all with reception on that.

Just wondered why people in this thread choice the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH, and not one of the many alternatives that can do 1080p with both cameras? Is this considered the best option available at the moment?

To partly answer my own question, I see two alternatives: Cowon AW-2 (according to some reviews records at low bit rate resulting in low quality) and VicoVation Marcus 5 (really good picture quality, but no GPS and no parking mode for recording).

I am getting lost in all the alternatives available.

I purchased the Blackvue 650 last week and installed it under the mirror (MS 2015) / using the cigarette light connector as per Blackvue instructions. However, I can't seem to get a regular GPS signal I would prefer to have camera centrally placed. Anyone had similar issues with GPS?

I was planning on wiring the dashcam to the wiring behind the microphone grille. Any here tried and willing to share how they did it? Wondering if I should:
1. Keep the cigarette light connector and buy an adapter of some kind? - or -
2. Cut off the cigarette lighter connector and plug cable into the connector behind the microphone grille?

That connector always provides power (even when car is off/standby)

I purchased the Blackvue 650 last week and installed it under the mirror (MS 2015) / using the cigarette light connector as per Blackvue instructions. However, I can't seem to get a regular GPS signal I would prefer to have camera centrally placed. Anyone had similar issues with GPS?

I was planning on wiring the dashcam to the wiring behind the microphone grille. Any here tried and willing to share how they did it? Wondering if I should:
1. Keep the cigarette light connector and buy an adapter of some kind? - or -
2. Cut off the cigarette lighter connector and plug cable into the connector behind the microphone grille?

That connector always provides power (even when car is off/standby)
See post at Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

Sorry in advance for the long post!

Hey guys, I thought I would provide an update on my install today to help anyone looking to undertake the same thing. I ended up getting my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH supplied and installed by MC Car Security in Moorebank. They had so many great reviews. They had never worked on MS before, however what gave me the confidence to use them is that they had just completed the same install in a BMW i8.

It took them around 4hrs and the install was very neat. I also had them install the
Cellink Battery B/Cellink Expansion Pack 2nd Generation. This allows for the dash cam to continue running on its own battery for 20hrs at a time when the car is switched off. It charges while the car is running in around 60 mins.

Now I had something very facinatiing occur, when they had completed the install, my key fob would not unlock the doors, the handles would not automatically present on approach, the fob just appeared as though it died! They tried trouble shooting by replacing the batteries on the fob, replacing front and rear cameras with another set, nothing seemed to fix the fob issue.

Then they finally unplugged the cameras and all of the sudden everything returned to normal. They ran just the front camera on its own and the fob continued to operate as normal. They finally pin pointed it to the cable running to the rear camera, they ran the cable to the rear camera via the head liner. It appears as though if you run the cable to the rear camera down the passengers side it interferes with the functionality of the fob. When they ran the cable down the drivers side and reconnected the rear camera everything worked fine and my fob functioned normally again too. So I'm not sure if anyone has come across this but when connecting the rear camera, be sure to run the cable to the rear down the drivers side of the car otherwise your key fob won't work.

Another thing I noticed is the front camera takes around 30-40 mins initially to get a GPS lock. Once it does that the first time, then it works fine. Installers told me that all cars take the same amount of time.

So hopefully this helps somebody here who plans to undertake this install.

I would also like to add that Jamie and Michael at MC Car Security in Moorebak are fantastic. They were very patient and never gave up until they identified the issue. Although the estimated 2 hour install took around 6, they persevered and provided a flawless installation, no cables showing and a power connection directly to the fuse box set them apart. I highly recommend them. For those of you who are wondering the cost, it was $1,145.00. This included all parts and labour. Now that they have undertaken this install on my MS, they know all the in's and out's and can provide a fantastic result.

Hopefully this information helps any of you guys looking to get this done.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
It appears as though if you run the cable to the rear camera down the passengers side it interferes with the functionality of the fob. When they ran the cable down the drivers side and reconnected the rear camera everything worked fine and my fob functioned normally again too. So I'm not sure if anyone has come across this but when connecting the rear camera, be sure to run the cable to the rear down the drivers side of the car otherwise your key fob won't work.

I installed my own Blackvue dashcam, running the cable to the rear camera down the passenger side headliner, and it doesn't affect my key fob functionality at all. IIRC, other owners have reported similar issues in the past, and the root cause was that the installer had removed the slack in the rear camera cable by cutting and splicing it, which allowed RF interference to leak out. So ask your installer if they cut the rear camera cable.

I installed my own Blackvue dashcam, running the cable to the rear camera down the passenger side headliner, and it doesn't affect my key fob functionality at all. IIRC, other owners have reported similar issues in the past, and the root cause was that the installer had removed the slack in the rear camera cable by cutting and splicing it, which allowed RF interference to leak out. So ask your installer if they cut the rear camera cable.

Hey Jepicken,
Thanks for the heads up. Is it possible that because Tesla's in Australia are right hand drives, you have in fact run the cable down the drivers side too, US and Australian cars are a mirror reverse? If not, how did these guys who cut and spliced end of fixing the issue of the key fob interference?

Thank you in advance

After reading this thread I decided to buy the same camera and getting it install (I didn't trust myself to do a neat job)
I bought it with installation from the Car Kit Company in Artarmon and the installation was great.
It took them just a bit over 3hs and it cost 200 for the installation with a promotion that included the power magic pro for free.
When driving home the GPS wouldn't work so I was ready to take it today for a check up but this morning it has been working great. It must be the 30-40 mins required that Championi mentioned.
They installed right under the mirror.

Reactions: championi