Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still trying to decide best way of locating best spot for GPS signal. GPS coverage is poor anyway at my house, due to too many trees. Might have to drive the car to a car park somewhere away from these trees, so I can try different locations and see if it will work. Once I have the location, then I can mount it on the windscreen, and try to do something with these power cables. Then I will think about the back camera.

I have mine powered on 24/7 via the OBD-II port, by making up an adapter that plugs into the OBD-II and provides a cigarette-lighter style power socket. I then simply ran the power cord along the top of the windscreen (tucked behind the headliner) and down the drivers side A-pillar.
Do you have a link to what you bought? I think this is the power option I want to go with. I've read about it online, but now I'm having trouble locating what exactly is used for this.

Do you have a link to what you bought? I think this is the power option I want to go with. I've read about it online, but now I'm having trouble locating what exactly is used for this.

I bought an OBD-II extension cable and cut off the plug I didn't want, then soldered it onto the 12V socket.

The eBay seller I purchased from isn't around anymore, but something like this should do the job:
16-Pin-OBD-2-OBDII-Male-to-Female-Extension-Cable-30CM

Reactions: bradjc
My DR650GW-1CH install went without a hitch, using the spare connector in the microphone panel

I too have the GPS problem - it's mounted behind the mirror, so the windscreen blocks the signal. Not too bothered tough, as having the speed recorded isn't necessarily something I'd want anyway, plus unlike other cars, I always know where it is via the Tesla app

Very pleased with the quality, though the standard MicroSD is really insufficient - I'll be ordering a 64Gb soon

Mine didn't come with a QR code for cloud access, but Blackvue customer service had one out to me in two days

Still trying to decide best way of locating best spot for GPS signal. GPS coverage is poor anyway at my house, due to too many trees. Might have to drive the car to a car park somewhere away from these trees, so I can try different locations and see if it will work. Once I have the location, then I can mount it on the windscreen, and try to do something with these power cables. Then I will think about the back camera.

I ended up just wiring it for always on using the spare connector in the microphone panel. Couldn't work out a good way of accessing the power to the mirror - it looks like a crimped plug. Didn't try to hide the cable between the windscreen and the microphone panel, as I couldn't see how to feed the cable through.

GPS seems to work for me, behind the mirror. Most of the time anyway...

Can a few folks indicate what their setup is and whether or not a GPS signal is quickly and consistently available on their BlackVue dashcam? I've been discussing this issue with BlackVue for a bit trying to get a solid answer. They are claiming the GPS won't work or won't work very well due to the AutoPilot sensors in a Tesla.

If you have a BlackVue installed, can you indicate if you also have AutoPilot? Can you also indicate if the GPS signal works quickly/instantly or does it take 20+ minutes to attain a GPS signal?

This is my setup:
- 2016 90D w/AutoPilot
- Dashcam mounted below rearview mirror
- GPS signal usually does not work
- Sometimes GPS will occasionally work on a 30+ minute drive but it takes ~20-30 minutes to obtain a GPS signal and then it won't maintain it for a 2+ hr drive​

I had my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH dashcam installed just below the rearview mirror as most installs indicate. This was not attaining a GPS signal for at least 20-30 minutes and sometimes as long as 90 minutes then would lose the GPS signal after 20-30 minutes and take an additional 10-20 minutes to acquire it again.

As a test, I placed the front/main dashcam on the rear shelf and it instantly found a GPS signal and maintained it for a 20+ mile drive. I then held the dashcam under the Sunroof for 5 minutes and it never attained a GPS signal. I also held it in front of the Passenger's visor for 5 minutes but it never attained a GPS signal. I'll try it again in front of the Passenger visor again and also in front of the Driver's visor to see if it attains a GPS signal there after a few minutes.

In my experience, when I've had the dashcam mounted below the rearview mirror, it DOES attain a GPS signal but not for 20-30 minutes sometimes but it obtains speed and location information so I don't feel that the windshield coating is totally blocking the GPS signal as others have assumed so you should be able to mount the dashcam anywhere (not just behind the area to the right of the rearview mirror that is missing that windshield coating).

My BlackVue is also mounted directly under/behind the rear view mirror and I do not get a GPS signal until a long time into a drive. It also doesn't hold consistently over my trips. Based on what I had read before buying I didn't expect the GPS to work consistently due to the coating Tesla puts on the windshield. Just like how toll transponders don't work through the windshield I didn't expect the BlackVue GPS to work through the windshield. Please keep us posted, @Darren Schilberg, regarding what you find out!

Can a few folks indicate what their setup is and whether or not a GPS signal is quickly and consistently available on their BlackVue dashcam? I've been discussing this issue with BlackVue for a bit trying to get a solid answer. They are claiming the GPS won't work or won't work very well due to the AutoPilot sensors in a Tesla.

If you have a BlackVue installed, can you indicate if you also have AutoPilot? Can you also indicate if the GPS signal works quickly/instantly or does it take 20+ minutes to attain a GPS signal?

This is my setup:
- 2016 90D w/AutoPilot
- Dashcam mounted below rearview mirror
- GPS signal usually does not work
- Sometimes GPS will occasionally work on a 30+ minute drive but it takes ~20-30 minutes to obtain a GPS signal and then it won't maintain it for a 2+ hr drive​

I had my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH dashcam installed just below the rearview mirror as most installs indicate. This was not attaining a GPS signal for at least 20-30 minutes and sometimes as long as 90 minutes then would lose the GPS signal after 20-30 minutes and take an additional 10-20 minutes to acquire it again.

As a test, I placed the front/main dashcam on the rear shelf and it instantly found a GPS signal and maintained it for a 20+ mile drive. I then held the dashcam under the Sunroof for 5 minutes and it never attained a GPS signal. I also held it in front of the Passenger's visor for 5 minutes but it never attained a GPS signal. I'll try it again in front of the Passenger visor again and also in front of the Driver's visor to see if it attains a GPS signal there after a few minutes.

In my experience, when I've had the dashcam mounted below the rearview mirror, it DOES attain a GPS signal but not for 20-30 minutes sometimes but it obtains speed and location information so I don't feel that the windshield coating is totally blocking the GPS signal as others have assumed so you should be able to mount the dashcam anywhere (not just behind the area to the right of the rearview mirror that is missing that windshield coating).
Quite simply, the GPS signal is nothing to do with any of the Tesla autopilot stuff. To get a proper signal, get a competent installer to survey the windscreen with a GPS receiver that shows signal strength; clearly put, move it around to where the GPS signal is maximum on the inside of the windscreen then glue the Blackvue there (works well if done properly).

I bought an OBD-II extension cable and cut off the plug I didn't want, then soldered it onto the 12V socket.

The eBay seller I purchased from isn't around anymore, but something like this should do the job:
16-Pin-OBD-2-OBDII-Male-to-Female-Extension-Cable-30CM

Does this mean that there is no need for the cellink battery pack? How long does the 12V Tesla battery go for before the video feed cuts off?

How long can I have the dash cam running if I connect to a live 12V feed? Also what is your take between thinkware vs. blackvue?
How long can I have the dash cam running if I connect to a live 12V feed? Also what is your take between thinkware vs. blackvue?
Should run forever; the Tesla recharges the 12V as required.
I have a Blackvue; pretty good but occasionally locks up - just needs a re-boot.
Never used a Thinkware but I think it only has one camera.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Should run forever; the Tesla recharges the 12V as required.
I have a Blackvue; pretty good but occasionally locks up - just needs a re-boot.
Never used a Thinkware but I think it only has one camera.

I envision a 4 channel set up so that I have 360 degree visibility including an infrared interior view camera. I am not sure connecting straight into the 12V is feasible. I may just go with blackvue and get a polarized filter to hopefully increase visibility. But I wonder what other equipment would an installer need to get this set up done?

I envision a 4 channel set up so that I have 360 degree visibility including an infrared interior view camera. I am not sure connecting straight into the 12V is feasible. I may just go with blackvue and get a polarized filter to hopefully increase visibility. But I wonder what other equipment would an installer need to get this set up done?
Why don't you just hire an Apache Gunship to shadow your car every time you drive? It's just as feasible.