Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue installers close to us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not looking for comparisons to other brands, I'm looking for comparisons for each of their own models! Like the F770 vs F750 vs F550 vs F500, etc..

It is marketing 101 to provide basic info to show the marginal benefits of upgrading from different models (a cheaper model isn't necessarily older).

I agree with HLR to not patronize companies that are too stupid to provide that info. If they are too stupid to provide that info then their product probably sucks in other ways too.

So I emailed Thinkware a few days ago asking them for a comparison grid to compare their products:

I'm interested in your dashcam products, but I can not find anywhere that easily compares all your different versions of dashcams.
I'm only interested in the models that can have a front and rear camera.
It's impossible to use your website to view or compare the differences.
thanks.

They responded today

Thank you for contacting Thinkware Dash Cam.
Our new model F770 & X550 have a rear view camera option as well as F750 & X500 which are our current model.
You can go to our website Products | THINKWARE Dash Cam and see these models in more detail.
Please feel free to contact us again if you encounter any other issues.
Kind regards,
Customer Support
THINKWARE Dash Cam™

Now I'm really fed up, and I'm just not going to take it any longer!! I replied:

Thanks for your reply, but this really doesn't help me. Obviously, all these models have very different feature sets other than an additional rear camera.

I obviously looked over your "products" page and it's IMPOSSIBLE to decipher EXACTLY what the differences are between each of the models.

Almost every other electronics equipment seller has a clear and concise grid showing which models have which features so people can see the marginal differences to decide which model is best.

Your simpleton and dismissive comment of "Our new model F770 & X550 have a rear view camera option as well as F750 & X500 which are our current model." tells me absolutely NOTHING. What's the difference between your "new" and "current" models? Wouldn't your "new" models be your "current" models and your "current" models be your "old" models?

Unfortunately, I now really don't care how good your products are, you clearly do not want to help people who are looking for clear information to help their buying decisions.

If this is how you treat potential customers, I will not be buying any of your products, and I will share this idiocy on all the forums I participate in.

Just because a website looks good doesn't mean it conveys INFORMATION.

Get your heads out of your hipster asses and take a Marketing 101 course.

Reactions: Rove and bhzmark
So I emailed Thinkware a few days ago asking them for a comparison grid to compare their products:

They responded today.....

Well played sir. That is a ridiculous response and makes my decision a little easier. Now I am curious as to Blackvue's customer service. Just playing devils advocate, since these are Korean (I think) companies, I wonder what kind of language barrier there might be. Also, maybe BlackBoxMyCar.com would be a better resource to get some info on these cameras.

From BlackBoxMyCar.com

thinkware F770:
"The F770 is the flagship 1 and 2 channel dashcam from Thinkware that improves upon the F750 with a dramatic redesign of the body. The matte black body is smaller and more discreet than ever before while nighttime video quality has also improved. For those that are going with the optional rear camera, this is one of the sleekest Full HD/Full HD systems on the market and it records at a considerably higher bitrate than its competition thanks to a high end Ambarella processor. An excellent parking mode function is available with voltage and timer cutoff features if the hardwiring kit is chosen."

Blackvue DR650S-2CH:
"The Blackvue DR650S-2CH is the updated 2016 version of Blackvue's flagship dual channel dashcam. It offers excellent video quality in all lighting conditions and features like built-in GPS and WiFi/Over the Cloud connectivity. With the latest firmware, the 2-channel system now supports higher bitrate recording at up to 10 Mbps front and 5 Mbps rear. When hardwired or powered through a dashcam battery pack, Blackvue dashcams offer parking mode by motion detection which can protect you in the event of a hit and run or vandalism. It is an elegant low-profile 2-channel solution that's powered through a capacitor instead of a battery to offer reliable performance in hot climates. Over the Cloud is a Blackvue exclusive feature that enhances the protection that your dashcam offers by allowing remote access, alert notifications, and more.

With the DR650S, Blackvue has responded to some of the feedback from DR650GW-2CH users and improved a number of features aside from just the video quality and cloud feature. The rear camera LED can now be fully turned off and the image can be flipped upside down using the software for the rear video as well. To improve parking mode recording times, the rear camera can be turned off and the overall power consumption has also been reduced."

For kicks I went to their site. Actually they do compare them. See: they make it crystal clear that certain models have more hieroglyphic symbols: X550 has the most hieroglyphics. F50 has the least hieroglyphics. Pick how many hieroglyphics you want!

upload_2016-7-25_19-16-11.png

compare to so much more useful and specific from Blackvue:

upload_2016-7-25_19-21-26.png

Odd that thinkware has so many models also. how many variations on the desired functionality can their be? Just make one or two excellent products.

• Funny
Reactions: HankLloydRight
For kicks I went to their site. Actually they do compare them. See: they make it crystal clear that certain models have more hieroglyphic symbols: X550 has the most hieroglyphics. F50 has the least hieroglyphics. Pick how many hieroglyphics you want!
Odd that thinkware has so many models also. how many variations on the desired functionality can their be? Just make one or two excellent products.

Very funny!!!

OMG, it was those hieroglyphics that really pushed me over the edge!!! WTF do they mean?

Thinkware did reply to my last email, too:

Thank you for contacting Thinkware Dash Cam.
We are very sorry to hear about your negative experience with our answer and 'products' page.
We will definitely forward your inquiry to our HQ for having a better product page with product comparisions and details.
Kind regards

I think I'm going to do an install this weekend. Probably Sunday afternoon. Live in DC, but not sure where I'll do the install. Maybe Germantown at my brothers place. He's got a car wash stall too, so might make a full day detail and "upgrade" thing out of it.

Didn't get a chance to do it... Sorry guys :( Had a catering come up for my food truck...

Next weekend. This weekend I have to go to NYC, which is one of the reasons I wanted to have it installed.

I'll post the location and the photos here.

Didn't get a chance to do it... Sorry guys :( Had a catering come up for my food truck...

Next weekend. This weekend I have to go to NYC, which is one of the reasons I wanted to have it installed.

I'll post the location and the photos here.
I meant to ask . . . Do you have the refresh S? Also, Any idea how you plan on doing it?

I take delivery on friday afternoon. Will be installing in the next few weeks, but always happy to take advice from others that have pioneered the path.

I meant to ask . . . Do you have the refresh S? Also, Any idea how you plan on doing it?

I take delivery on friday afternoon. Will be installing in the next few weeks, but always happy to take advice from others that have pioneered the path.

He has the older S like mine, plus he is a really cool guy (like me). Side note, I may have found a decent installer that is local to us. I want him to install mine before I recommend him. Gimme 2 weeks and I'll be back with more info :)

Hey everyone, okay I'm back and this time with my dashcam installed. I'd say I am VERY happy with how the install turned out.
There is a front camera, and a back camera. They are always on. All the wires you see are in the pictures - there are no wires anywhere besides what you see below. The installer tapped power from the passenger footwell, it's all behind the panels, I don't see anything. Also, he routed the cables to the rear through the existing hoses etc. that the car already has, so basically it looks/feels like it's a part of the car.

Here are some pictures -
upload_2016-8-12_12-44-10.png

More details -

1. This is the camera I got http://amzn.to/2aHD6HC
2. It records well in both day and night (see youtube for example videos, most cameras are useless at night).
3. I don't see the camera when I drive. It's behind the rearview mirror.
4. It's pretty much invisible from the outside too, both front and back - but I have an LED blinking on purpose to deter any funny business.
5. It backs the video recordings to the cloud. You need wifi in the car to do so, I have one of these - Zubie In-Car WiFi
6. And it sends you push notifications if someone bumps into the car while it was parked. When you start driving, it comes out of parking mode and tells you if an impact was detected while the car was parked.
7. It is always on. Yes that's okay for the battery etc.
8. You can connect to it via wifi. So as you are driving, you can see the rear or front view via an iPad. Or when you are in your office, you can download videos via wifi.
9. You can connect to it via cloud. So while you are travelling, you can monitor where it is, how fast it is moving, historical data, etc. etc. (See youtube videos)
10. It sends you push notifications if it detects something funny.
11. It records GPS, time, with the video. The video is 1080p (configurable), runs in a loop, on a 128gb card, it'll store 40 hours of content at high rez. You can pay more to back stuff up to the cloud automatically if you wish.

etc. etc.

So, back to your question of a recommended installer, I was able to negotiate a special lower cash price with the installer. Please PM me and I'll hook you up with details.

Reactions: fallen888
Other than Hurley's in Tyson's, anyone else know any other good installers of Blackvue in the NoVa area. Would prefer not to go all the way to Baltimore or beyond, but at the same time not convinced Hurley's is the best place to get this done...

Kartunes, in Sterling , VA will install the blackvue .. I have a blackvue ordered and I'm thinking of having them do it for me ... Live in Fredericksburg, VA... Unless a fellow Model S owner can do it with over for food/beers

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if they have worked on other Teslas? I may also reach out to them as I'm looking for a reputable installer as well.