Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blew something up in the rear every time when i out from home.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

Look like i have problem similar like here Blew something up in the rear!… but its continue every day.

MYLR 2023 1300 miles 20wheels all in original

Last week every time when i out from home and driving around 500ft over circle road at 10-15mph i have feel like sudden the was a decent bang in the rear and the back lifted like I drove over something. No any warning on display. When i try to repeat same instant, i can not do it. This can happens again only if car will stay for 3-4hours at home and drive again via same circle road.

I have open ticket to SC but they did appointment after 2 week. But i not sure how i can show them this bang, its happends in exacly part of road near home .

Now i feel not safe while driver the car.

Its looks like differential lock happens or differential teeth not good or lubrication problems(just because i cant repeat instant need few hours of car stay in parking for repeat same)

Anybody have similar problem,
Any suggestion pleace?

Does it happen in the same place? Can you recreate the problem?

I would set up a camera inside the car and a camera attached to the outside of the car. Maybe even have a camera on the ground watching the area of road that it happens in.

Does it happen in the same place? Can you recreate the problem?

I would set up a camera inside the car and a camera attached to the outside of the car. Maybe even have a camera on the ground watching the area of road that it happens in.
I recorded a video from inside the car for SC, they still not reply.
In video i can see that the car is twitching and I heard something like a blow.

The problem is definitely not in the road or the road surface.
This happens on a circle road near the house and can be +/- 100ft.
If I want to repeat right away, I can't.
Only if the car is parked for several hours again.

It feels like random locking of the differential occurs and the motor slows down, while there are no errors on the display.
Perhaps there is no lubrication or very little in the differential. This is the only way I can explain that I cannot repeat right away, since the lubricant is sprayed after the first trips.
though it might be warming up.

After reading a similar post, it is possible that the problem is in the high-voltage engine control unit and the speed is reset from overload, and I feel bang

Did you have dashcam on? If so, safely remove it and try to download the footage on your computer to see if you captured it on video. I doubt the SC could do much without some evidence of what happened.

You can also use voice commands to set a bug report. This will give a snapshot of the system and a reference point the SC can look for in the logs.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

If you need more cameras, a cheap outdoor capable camera of decent quality is a Wyze V3. You need to buy a microSD card, wifi to set it up, and you need USB power, but after you do that it can record to the card even without internet.

Did you have dashcam on? If so, safely remove it and try to download the footage on your computer to see if you captured it on video. I doubt the SC could do much without some evidence of what happened.

You can also use voice commands to set a bug report. This will give a snapshot of the system and a reference point the SC can look for in the logs.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

If you need more cameras, a cheap outdoor capable camera of decent quality is a Wyze V3. You need to buy a microSD card, wifi to set it up, and you need USB power, but after you do that it can record to the card even without internet.
Dashcam of cat is always working but nothing is visible on it to describe the problem.
On the video recording on the phone, you can only see how the car twitches and something like the sound of a blow

Dashcam of cat is always working but nothing is visible on it to describe the problem.
On the video recording on the phone, you can only see how the car twitches and something like the sound of a blow

So, go out and try to duplicate it again, and when you do, note the exact time and date down, and also press the voice command button and say BUG REPORT and say "Loud bang experienced at this time stamp".

Take the dashcam video (such as it is) to the service center, and tell them " This happend to me on this day, at this exact time, and I did a bug report to timestamp it."

You also need to NOT tell them "It only happens on this road" because by default, if it only happens on a specific road, anyone who troubleshoots for a living is going to tell you the road is your problem.

Reactions: ord3r
There can be a loud thud from the battery compartment under the floor. This is from thermal expansion as the battery warms up from being cooled down while parked. Most commonly it happens at superchargers, but it can also happen while driving. If it happens in the same area while driving it's probably because you've driven the same path and the battery warmed up at the same rate.

There can be a loud thud from the battery compartment under the floor. This is from thermal expansion as the battery warms up from being cooled down while parked. Most commonly it happens at superchargers, but it can also happen while driving. If it happens in the same area while driving it's probably because you've driven the same path and the battery warmed up at the same rate.

Tesla has a website of normal operating noises:

(I am almost positive you know this, but I am posting this for the OP of this thread to see if any of those noises sound like what they are hearing).

Tesla has a website of normal operating noises:

(I am almost positive you know this, but I am posting this for the OP of this thread to see if any of those noises sound like what they are hearing).

It's interesting they don't list the thud as occurring during operation of the vehicle. From my experience there have been near identical sounding thuds while driving the vehicle in cooler temperatures as the battery compartment warms up.

So, go out and try to duplicate it again, and when you do, note the exact time and date down, and also press the voice command button and say BUG REPORT and say "Loud bang experienced at this time stamp".

Take the dashcam video (such as it is) to the service center, and tell them " This happend to me on this day, at this exact time, and I did a bug report to timestamp it."

You also need to NOT tell them "It only happens on this road" because by default, if it only happens on a specific road, anyone who troubleshoots for a living is going to tell you the road is your problem.
I think it's not a particular road, I think it's because of the electronic warm-up after a few minutes of driving or after lubricating something.
Tomorrow I'll try to put the car in another place for a few hours and try to simulate the problem.

Also i will do BUG REPORT

this is more like some kind of emergency shutdown of the motor due to a physical problem in the differential, perhaps in the axle shaft or in the motor control electronics. At the time of the explosion, the drive power is lost

strange that it does not give any errors on the screen

It's interesting they don't list the thud as occurring during operation of the vehicle. From my experience there have been near identical sounding thuds while driving the vehicle in cooler temperatures as the battery compartment warms up.

While Charging

Banging, Clunking, Popping, or Thumping Noise While Supercharging
This sound comes from the floor of your vehicle (where the HV Battery is located) and occurs when the metal components in your vehicle's HV Battery naturally expand or contract to accommodate ambient temperature changes.

this sounds very very similar,
maybe my reaction to the sound is taking my foot off the accelerator pedal and losing power.

I'll try again tomorrow

this is more like some kind of emergency shutdown of the motor due to a physical problem in the differential, perhaps in the axle shaft or in the motor control electronics. At the time of the explosion, the drive power is lost

strange that it does not give any errors on the screen
If it was a physical issue like rear motor shut down or a problem with the differential, then the car would issue a warning. There are plenty of threads here about a rear motor shutdown - the car won't drive.

You can also check in Service Mode for any generated alerts. Here is how - Service Mode – TeslaTap

Today I did a couple of new tests.
It’s very hot in Miami now, so I always turned on the interior cooling to 72 before leaving

Today I decided not to do.

As a result - 2 trips - there were no blows / explosions.

I'm already starting to think maybe these are some side sounds or breakdowns in the cooling system.

Hello

Look like i have problem similar like here Blew something up in the rear!… but its continue every day.

MYLR 2023 1300 miles 20wheels all in original

Last week every time when i out from home and driving around 500ft over circle road at 10-15mph i have feel like sudden the was a decent bang in the rear and the back lifted like I drove over something. No any warning on display. When i try to repeat same instant, i can not do it. This can happens again only if car will stay for 3-4hours at home and drive again via same circle road.

I have open ticket to SC but they did appointment after 2 week. But i not sure how i can show them this bang, its happends in exacly part of road near home .

Now i feel not safe while driver the car.

Its looks like differential lock happens or differential teeth not good or lubrication problems(just because i cant repeat instant need few hours of car stay in parking for repeat same)

Anybody have similar problem,
Any suggestion pleace?
I suspect that you've checked, but...

Is there anything in either of the 3 rear storage areas that could be shifting?

Hello
Today tried use FSD beta just out from home and still same, Loud bang happends after 200-300ft drive without touch car and now i sure its not only noise. On autopilot car twitches during bang and slowing down for a second, no errors on the panel.
This can be repeated only after car stop 45minuts + and only then i can repeat same.