Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's a red line on the screen and that is your entire warning it's a waste of effort on their part to even implement it. Who looks toward the screen when they put on their blinker? This really should be either an audible alert, or better yet a tactic feedback through the steering wheel when you apply any force toward the direction of the other vehicle. This is done in computer guided surgical equipment all the time these days.

Agree. I have been sending feedback for years telling them to include an option for an audible alert when a blinker is activated. It's such an easy thing to do software-wise. The car already knows if an object is there.

Reactions: C141medic
If it's a red line on the screen and that is your entire warning it's a waste of effort on their part to even implement it. Who looks toward the screen when they put on their blinker? This really should be either an audible alert, or better yet a tactic feedback through the steering wheel when you apply any force toward the direction of the other vehicle. This is done in computer guided surgical equipment all the time these days.
My highlander had a little icon that flashed on the side view mirror. That was very intuitive and easy to use.

Agreed on the audible alert.

Reactions: fiatlux
Agree. I have been sending feedback for years telling them to include an option for an audible alert when a blinker is activated. It's such an easy thing to do software-wise. The car already knows if an object is there.
Technically version 9 is the first version that the car knows something is there. Previously only the ultrasonic sensors were used, and I very much doubt that anyone would be happy with a blind-spot alert using them.

I would expect that they will improve this with an audible warning now that the technical underpinnings are in place (i.e., side cameras activated and software detecting vehicles).

Reactions: VRM3
Technically version 9 is the first version that the car knows something is there. Previously only the ultrasonic sensors were used, and I very much doubt that anyone would be happy with a blind-spot alert using them.

True, which is why I had suggested an option to turn it on ;) Now it is enhanced to use cameras and not just the ultrasonic sensors. I always prefer options for things people may not like.

Hmmm....this is not quite related to HUMAN blindspot monitoring, but rather autopilot blindspot monitoring.

On the highway last night I attempted to do an auto lane change. Traffic was medium (not heavy, not light). After checking my new blindspot display (and confirming over the shoulder), I indicated a left turn to request a lane change.

Now I could see a vehicle in the left lane coming up from behind, but there was still plenty of time/space to make the lane change. But of course, auto lane change was its usually poky self in making the change. While I waited for it to slowly do its thing, the car coming from behind had now gotten much closer and when I was about halfway in the lane, it chickened out. But then, right after the car was BARELY past me it decided to re-attempt and I chickened out (because I probably would have clipped his rear quarter).

I mean I'm glad that the car is now "looking backwards", but I almost feel it was a bit too hesitant.

Reactions: SteveD
I keep dreaming of a day that not only an audible alarm but to turn on the camera and display it on the screen just like my Honda Clarity does as soon as i turn the turn signal on. Such a simple addition for a huge improvement in the safety.

Hmmm....this is not quite related to HUMAN blindspot monitoring, but rather autopilot blindspot monitoring.

On the highway last night I attempted to do an auto lane change. Traffic was medium (not heavy, not light). After checking my new blindspot display (and confirming over the shoulder), I indicated a left turn to request a lane change.

Now I could see a vehicle in the left lane coming up from behind, but there was still plenty of time/space to make the lane change. But of course, auto lane change was its usually poky self in making the change. While I waited for it to slowly do its thing, the car coming from behind had now gotten much closer and when I was about halfway in the lane, it chickened out. But then, right after the car was BARELY past me it decided to re-attempt and I chickened out (because I probably would have clipped his rear quarter).

I mean I'm glad that the car is now "looking backwards", but I almost feel it was a bit too hesitant.

This is why we need the "Mad Max" setting! Turning on the blinker in L.A. basically indicates for the car in the lane next to you to speed up to block you out. You need to make the lane change as soon as the blinker goes on.

This is why we need the "Mad Max" setting! Turning on the blinker in L.A. basically indicates for the car in the lane next to you to speed up to block you out. You need to make the lane change as soon as the blinker goes on.

That's like Behind the Wheel 101 for LA driving! If you start the blinker, you are almost guarantee the car behind you in the next lane will speed up. The turn signal is like an accelerator pedal to remote control the car in the next lane LOL.

Well I am glad to hear it is not limited to people who purchased the Full Self-Driving option (software). It did say "hardware" and most cars have the hardware. I was reading the release notes and it is a bit confusing.

BTW, I have a graduate degree and work in a field requiring high verbal skills. No need to belittle people over less than clear communication.

Since I started this post, can I delete it. False alarm...

And yet ... you failed miserably.

• Disagree
Reactions: SteveD