Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years ago I read an article about the proper way to adjust a car's side mirrors. Most people don't do it right.

I used to adjust it that alternative way years, or possibly decades ago. I found that it made it harder overall and eventually gave up, because I realized that although I could see the blind spot, I just ended up leaning my head to the left to see down the lane. I figured that I would be better off leaning slightly to the right to see the blind spot in the mirror.

Also, that adjustment is illegal in California. The vehicle code says that the side mirror must be adjusted so I can see 200 feet down the lane. I doubt that I would get a ticket though.

As for the Model 3, yes, it takes getting used to checking the screen first, and then when you are ready to go, checking the mirror. After a lifetime of doing the opposite, it's a hard habit to break. But it does work a lot better than the ultrasonic sensors in my older Model S, which I wouldn't rely on to react fast enough. And you can get used to it. But I wish that Tesla had put a more conventional blind spot indicator in the mirror.

I understand why they didn't do it in the original Model S, but with later models, it was more "we do it this way" than it's what customers want.

Reactions: Stach and tm3lrawd
The Suma Performance side mirrors have been extremely helpful on our Model Y. For some reason on the Model 3 I haven’t noticed that they are needed and I’ve stayed with the stock mirrors. However, they are very much worth consideration for help with blind spots.

Agreed. Suma mirrors do a nice job of minimizing the blind spots, especially on the left side. Stock driver side mirror, for me, leaves a large blind spot in my 3. Not as much difference for the right, but still an improvement. Plus I really didn’t like the auto dimming feature of the stock ones. Suma are not auto dimming, but are heated.

Reactions: XPsionic
I used to adjust it that alternative way years, or possibly decades ago. I found that it made it harder overall and eventually gave up, because I realized that although I could see the blind spot, I just ended up leaning my head to the left to see down the lane. I figured that I would be better off leaning slightly to the right to see the blind spot in the mirror.

Also, that adjustment is illegal in California. The vehicle code says that the side mirror must be adjusted so I can see 200 feet down the lane. I doubt that I would get a ticket though.
Law section. says the following:

(a) (1) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.
(2) Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.
(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver’s view to the rear.
(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver’s view to the rear.
(3) A bus or trolley coach.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver’s view consists of passengers.
(d) This section does not apply to an autonomous vehicle, as defined in Section 38750, that is not capable of operation by a human driver seated in the vehicle, provided that this exemption is consistent with, or authorized by, any applicable federal law, regulation, or exemption thereto.

The 200 foot view to the rear through the side mirrors applies only to vehicles "constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver’s view to the rear" (presuming they mean that the center mirror is ineffective to see to the rear) or (in 26708(b)(8)) the rear window has objects or other things attached to it..

Reactions: XPsionic
True Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) is a Glaring Weakness for the Tesla Model 3's and Y's (I have no experience with the S or X). While Tesla says they have it, it has many issues that make it basically useless for myself and many others. I may miss some points, but here are the basics:
  1. The BSM indicator for our Tesla's are cars visually turning Red on our screen in the middle of the car, which is not the natural place to look, since your head should be looking to the mirror and windows on the side of the car that you want to turn towards.
  2. Other cars on the screen are usually delayed in their appearance on the screen and if they are there, will be behind where they actually are
  3. Cars turning red on the screen is also delayed (sometimes by 1-2 seconds), which makes this indicator too slow and useless.
  4. Our Tesla's are supposed to prevent you front merging into another car, but that too is delayed and means you are already very close to hitting them, which only causes more panic for everyone involved.
This exactly correct. I definitely set my mirrors “correctly” (the Car Talk guys taught me). The idea that a car with this much tech requires an autopart store $4 mirror upgrade is crazy. If you drive cars half the cost of a Tesla in most cases you will find a superior and much more reliable set up. To me - with the tesla tech being 80-90% reliable… it might as well be 0. Which is (in an otherwise awesome car) such a disappointment and a missed opportunity to double down on making people safer on the road (which Tesla states as a priority).