TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blue Origin: Future Plans

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Blue Origin's future rocket, the New Glenn:

Here is a picture showcasing the size compared to other notable rockets:
    Blue Origin's Future Plans.jpg

Blue Origin recently tweeted that they are dropping the smaller fairing version and moving forward larger fairing version.

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

So where are they at in Development?

• Like x 1
  3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

They seem to be at step 2:

1.Collect underpants
    2.Build big rocket
    3.Profit

• Funny x 2
  4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Well, that is indeed a BFR. But I'm not sure if even Bezos has the money to fund it all himself. Still, I admire his willingness to spend a ton of cash on Blue Origin and I hope the company is successful.

Launching the first New Glenn "before the end of this decade" seems optimistic, but there is nothing wrong with optimism!

5. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Man I'm having deja vu watching that video. But, if they can do it, all the better. Good luck to them!

6. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I swear I saw this video - Musk productions - just two weeks ago.

• Like x 1
  7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#7 Grendal, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Both the video and the comparative picture are old. The only thing new was the tweet from BO about the fairing.

Blue Origin works very different from SpaceX. They do not share information much and if something is put out it is usually through a tweet from Bezos.

The BE-4 methane engine from BO is what ULA will use to power the Vulcan. The Vulcan is the replacement to the Atlas V since that uses the Russian RD-180. The last we heard is that there was an incident with the turbopump during testing. The BE-4 is really the heart and soul of where BO is going with their rocket, the New Glenn. Once that engine is working well then they can start on the rocket airframe. So I'd say they are about the same level of development as SpaceX is with the mBFR. They are testing the engine and have a rocket design on paper and maybe testing some of the components to be used in the rocket.

More details about the BE-4 engine is here:
    Blue Origin - BE-4 Methalox Engine

More details on BO's history and what they have achieved is here:
    Blue Origin lands a rocket stage

We'll see in a couple weeks, but I'll bet the new mBFR will be more similar in size to the New Glenn than anything else.

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Is the market for a mBFR or New Glenn payload that big?

• Like x 1
  9. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I guess the payload capacity is different, but my word that video is like a joke- it's basically an animation of Spacex missions. Which, by the way Jeff, are real...

10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Not yet. The thing about orbital launches is the chicken and the egg problem. There isn't a payload market for super heavy launch vehicles because there haven't been any super heavy launch vehicles. SpaceX is about to build one and the moment Elon announces it in a couple weeks then I would bet that a number of commercial customers will sign up. I just posted a congressional video that implies what the government would like to be doing in the future. A super heavy launch vehicle would probably fit very nicely into those future plans. New Glenn, even though it looks really big, doesn't have that large a payload capacity. It is focused on reusability and not on payload capacity.

• Like x 2