Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth call mic quality - recordings attached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anybody ever found a resolution.

I've brought the car in for service 3 times. The technicians get on the phone while driving and call each other. Every time they claimed it's working perfectly. I show them the recordings I've posted and they say "it's working fine." I've been wearing a plantronics headset which is annoying but at least people can't even tell I'm driving.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
I've brought the car in for service 3 times. The technicians get on the phone while driving and call each other. Every time they claimed it's working perfectly. I show them the recordings I've posted and they say "it's working fine." I've been wearing a plantronics headset which is annoying but at least people can't even tell I'm driving.
So, wait, on my new X that little ‘speaker’ on the A pillar is actually the hands free mic?! OMG. My BMWs had the mic on the mirror (and perhaps elsewhere) and quality was pretty good if not perfect. There’s always some road noise.

Will have to test this to see if it’s as bad as reported on a new model.

AirPods work great as mics but I’m not aware of any way to split-stream the audio, which would be a good answer. I’ve used them as a ‘headset’ while on my iPhone at home and people can’t tell I’m not using the phone as usual.

So, wait, on my new X that little ‘speaker’ on the A pillar is actually the hands free mic?! OMG. My BMWs had the mic on the mirror (and perhaps elsewhere) and quality was pretty good if not perfect. There’s always some road noise.

Will have to test this to see if it’s as bad as reported on a new model.

AirPods work great as mics but I’m not aware of any way to split-stream the audio, which would be a good answer. I’ve used them as a ‘headset’ while on my iPhone at home and people can’t tell I’m not using the phone as usual.
I tested this last night from the garage (I know, exhaustive test!) and my GF thought it sounded okay. Asked her to compare it to a call from normal iPhone held to head and she thought it was slightly ‘echoey’.

Have to test further when on the road to see how it works with some background noise. I have no idea if newer cars might have better/different mics/noise cancelling software?

Just picked up a new Model X last week and this is my only complaint. I have an iPhone X. I can hear the party I am talking just fine. They can barely hear me and say it is very hard to understand. I switch to iPhone speaker mode and it is perfect. I really don't want to use AirPods. Hoping Tesla fixes this issue.

Just picked up a new Model X last week and this is my only complaint. I have an iPhone X. I can hear the party I am talking just fine. They can barely hear me and say it is very hard to understand. I switch to iPhone speaker mode and it is perfect. I really don't want to use AirPods. Hoping Tesla fixes this issue.

I've been using a jabra headset as I spend a lot of time making calls while driving. It's a shame that when traveling for business in my rental Hyundai, everyone can hear me perfectly, then I come home and have to wear a headset in the Tesla. :(

I just brought the car in for service because on the highway my Bluetooth calling is practically unusable. Is anyone having the same issue with recipients unable to clearly hear them? It seems to me like it's a gain issue with the mic as you don't hear the road noise, I am just muffled in the background.

Please listen and let me know what you think.

Tesla Mic Quality

Solved!!! I’ve had the same problem with my Model X P90D and my iPhone X. My wife, father, co-workers, you name it refused to talk to me because they could barely hear and understand me - crackly, choppy, echoing, etc... Problem- It was my Apple Watch syncing to my iPhone X over Bluetooth. My Earbuds too. Apparently the Apple Bluetooth (maybe W1 chip) was throwing off the Tesla Bluetooth - possibility competing signals. I put my watch on airplane mode and boom - crystal clear. Apple Watch back on - static, garbled voice. Give it a whirl. 99% chance this is the fix you/we’ve been looking for!

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
turning off Bluetooth on the iPhone x before you get in the car, then turning it back on once you start driving fixes the issue for me. I don't believe this is a Tesla issue, the problem is how the phone handles multiple connections at once.

Ah, interesting. I do have the 3rd Gen Apple Watch, however, I've never set up the LTE/Cell service so it might just be the updated Bluetooth chip.
Hm, perhaps. But the radio may be going (LTE) anyway! (911 and all that). I don’t think there’s a way to just put it in BT only mode. Pretty sure I’ve read the culprit is LTE but the BT was updated and you’re right, you can’t do anything but shut the whole thing off! :(

My 2nd gen never had a problem and not sure if Apple or Tesla is doing anything about it!

Just picked up my new Model X a little over a week ago (March build) and it suffers from this mic quality issue when using my iPhone X. Wasn't even wearing my Apple Watch yesterday and it still had the same issue, where the person I'm speaking to told me that my voice sounded poorly synthesized, garbled, and unintelligible. I switched over to the iPhone X's speaker, and he could hear me perfectly. This was not an issue with the Lexus it replaced.

Just picked up my new Model X a little over a week ago (March build) and it suffers from this mic quality issue when using my iPhone X. Wasn't even wearing my Apple Watch yesterday and it still had the same issue, where the person I'm speaking to told me that my voice sounded poorly synthesized, garbled, and unintelligible. I switched over to the iPhone X's speaker, and he could hear me perfectly. This was not an issue with the Lexus it replaced.
I have same issue. I hear the person great. They cant stand to talk to me though. This needs to be fixed. 100k car with crappy bluetooth is not cool

Any update to this issue? Had our Model 3 for a couple months and bluetooth quality is pretty awful. I've heard the apple watch airplane mode suggestion but we're on a Samsung Note 8 and S8. I have a Samsung watch but wife does not...in other words that's not the problem. Both phones have poor quality if they connect at all. Frequently the audio streams split speaker to the car and mic to the phone or won't move the call to the car at all. We have to toggle bluetooth on and off to get a connection and quality is lacking.

No problems in any of our other vehicles with the same phones. This has nothing to do with the personal device (iPhone, Samsung, Pixel)...it's clearly on Tesla. I just hope there's a way to fix this over the air, but given it's still an issue on 2018.42.3, I'm guessing either not high on the list or simply a hardware problem.

Don't these engineers eat their own dog food? I assume several drive Teslas and occasionally join Webex with each other while driving into the office like most working adults? Maybe a call to their wife on the way home? I bet some have an iwatch, some using Samsung. Surely they know this is a widespread problem.