Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW folks comments on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 thousand ls buttons? Hmm.. as I expected, some Tesla owners live in their own world and have no idea how car other companies have gone since they got into Tesla. Count number of “useless” buttons in the new X5 or the new X6 or the 2023 X7 and get back to me.
Bro what is the point of the back and forth on this? Are you bored? If you're considering a switch just go and rent the car and see if you enjoy it. The thing I'm realizing is Tesla isn't trying to be something it isn't, it just focuses on what it IS. Fast, Simple, High tech, and their vehicles are sleek(Not the best looking but simple designs) Like I've said I've owned MULTIPLE cars worth over 100k sticker from BMW,AUDI,BENZ this car isn't the same as those. It's COMPLETELY different and I'm having a ton of fun. This is like the first time in a while when I got in the car and had a damn smile on my face in my short time of owning a p100. Mind you I came from an M8 and an RS7(This is the best of the best for those brands and I don't miss it at all) Not even sure you can compare them as well. But what tesla offers it does very well. This is coming from a straight up Audi FANBOY

Reactions: zoomer0056
Bro what is the point of the back and forth on this? Are you bored? If you're considering a switch just go and rent the car and see if you enjoy it. The thing I'm realizing is Tesla isn't trying to be something it isn't, it just focuses on what it IS. Fast, Simple, High tech, and their vehicles are sleek(Not the best looking but simple designs) Like I've said I've owned MULTIPLE cars worth over 100k sticker from BMW,AUDI,BENZ this car isn't the same as those. It's COMPLETELY different and I'm having a ton of fun. This is like the first time in a while when I got in the car and had a damn smile on my face in my short time of owning a p100. Mind you I came from an M8 and an RS7(This is the best of the best for those brands and I don't miss it at all) Not even sure you can compare them as well. But what tesla offers it does very well. This is coming from a straight up Audi FANBOY
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah probably am enjoying the back and forth while also helping me to better see how others use their vehicles; Sorry but what's your problem with the back and forth if am the OP good with it? Just trying to have a conversation and a few comments here we really useful for my in-town drive intended application.
Am not going to rent it, I've already rent it for a short period of time. Am good with it being kids/school and in-town daily drive. The highway argument keeps coming back by some users and am just responding and they are doing the same. M8 and RS7 experience isn't a good fit for family luxury comfortable long trip drive (for that experience you must own an S-class with magic body control , 7-series, X7 with dynamic handling package, or maybe loaded new Escalade with magnetic ride, or something like that). I am not surprised that Tesla is better than M8 or RS7 for the long trips cause the M8/RS7 aren't a true traveling monsters. Just my opinion. And I agree with you, you can't even compare them well, all of those are different.

Yeah X3 does not have BMW hands free highway drive assist. It due for a refresh in couple of months so that’s why. The new BMW full hands free driving would have driven 100% the distance no issues. X3 is like comparing Mode X to Model X. X3 is 5-6 levels lower than X4, X5, X7, X7 and XM.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything fully hands-free from any brand anytime soon... I was simply stating that the driver assist that Tesla has is pretty amazing for short/long drives and isn't limited to select highways. The car works well for town/work driving and cross-country driving.

Anyways, you've got plenty of responses as to why people like Tesla on this thread.. If those aren't enough for you then you either see it for yourself or you don't. Regardless of what you go with, hope it brings you as much joy as my Model S did for 4+ years.

So am I reading that right? Newer Teslas have no parking sensors !????

Yeah probably am enjoying the back and forth while also helping me to better see how others use their vehicles , what's your problem with the back and forth if am the OP good with it?
Am not going to rent it, I've already rent it for a short period of time. Am good with it being kids/school and in-town daily drive. The highway argument keeps coming back by some users and am just responding and they are doing the same. M8 and RS7 experience isn't a good fit for family luxury comfortable long trip drive (for that experience you must own an S-class with magic body control , 7-series, X7 with dynamic handling package, or maybe loaded new Escalade with magnetic ride, or something like that). I am not surprised that Tesla is better than M8 or RS7 for the long trips cause the M8/RS7 aren't a true traveling monsters. Just my opinion. And I agree with you, you can't even compare them well, all of those are different.
So why don't you get those cars if this is so important and stop this madness xD. Like there's nothing else anybody can say to convince you nor should they want to. This is a forum for back n forths but at this point this is just trolling.

Reactions: zoomer0056 and s1rk
I don't think I'd be comfortable with anything fully hands-free from any brand anytime soon... I was simply stating that the driver assist that Tesla has is pretty amazing for short/long drives and isn't limited to select highways. The car works well for town/work driving and cross-country driving.

Anyways, you've got plenty of responses as to why people like Tesla on this thread.. If those aren't enough for you then you either see it for yourself or you don't. Regardless of what you go with, hope it brings you as much joy as my Model S did for 4+ years.
Just got the P100D and I'm hoping I can say this in 2027. Btw the red looks sick. My car is black and I definitely need a wrap lol

Ultrasound ones, yes, Tesla has AI based visual (camera) parking sensors.

In comparison to other regular luxury brands like MB, Volvo, and BMW (not comparing to Bentley or the like), Teslas simply work and don't have anything in excess, and at the same time, their tech hits out of the park. For example, would I give up the youtube and gaming/profile/music/over-the-air-update features of Tesla for anything in a BMW/MB/Volvo? Would I give away 0.5 seconds in performance for for anything in a BMW/MB/Volvo? If your answer (after thoroughly driving both) is yes, then you have your answer.

Reactions: zoomer0056

I'll be test driving that 2021 Tesla Model S based on the feedback here look like nothing much to lose compared to new 2022. I'll see if the dealership is willing to let me test it for half a day.

Currently, yes. There is supposed to be a new software load that provides the same functionality using all the cameras and a bunch of neural nets. Per Tesla MO, they removed the sensors before having the software complete. The SW was promised "shortly", but Tesla's definition of short is skewed. Ideally they would have it done PRIOR to removing the sensors. On the plus side though, my bumper doesn't have holes punched through for 1990s sensor technology.

So why don't you get those cars if this is so important and stop this madness xD. Like there's nothing else anybody can say to convince you nor should they want to. This is a forum for back n forths but at this point this is just trolling.
I have most of them already, for relaxing highway trips. The one that is due for a new toy now is our in-town daily drive which is right now is the Plug-in Hybrid X5 (60K miles today, 2020).

The discussion of highway trips. Our highway drive for the past 12 years have always been S-class vehicles with rear seat goodies. 3rd photo is not a photo I personally took, but a replica of my W223 S580 which is a replacement of my W222 S560. We have a 2020 X7 M50i too (bought it pre-owned, 46K miles for less than 66K USD). My only point is, I don't see how my wife and I can let go a car like this that we enjoy driving vs relaxing in the back on 50-50% basis during our monthly 8hrs trip. Others probably have never experienced that luxury and it's benefits, but I did, hence was just trying to share my part of the story as to why Tesla is a no-good highway carrier at that price range (well, Telsa plaid is still slightly cheaper that a fully loaded W222/w223 but close enough) if we can get or keep or S-class.
1c10aafd_2a94_4dad_b770_6de1987cf969_70bfa7191c6a5f47f358b7ea910ed6214a8f39cf.jpeg

43d8e8f3_745d_4c2b_b960_cc232893d1f4_d8cc1f7ea2cea348c6596a7e50fd215dfe85a86e.jpeg

image.MQ6.12.20210510103843.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently, yes. There is supposed to be a new software load that provides the same functionality using all the cameras and a bunch of neural nets. Per Tesla MO, they removed the sensors before having the software complete. The SW was promised "shortly", but Tesla's definition of short is skewed. Ideally they would have it done PRIOR to removing the sensors. On the plus side though, my bumper doesn't have holes punched through for 1990s sensor technology.
I checked the photos of the 2021 Model S that am going to test drive this week. There are no holes. Is that an indication that it has no sensors? If so, when will the software be able to accommodate (sensor-like) behavior? Will that (in the present) impact the vehicle ability to park itself or navigate in tight places (parking lots or garages without notifying me that am close enough)? Am kind of surprise about lack of parking sensors!!!

I have most of them already, for relaxing highway trips. The one that is due for a new toy now is our in-town daily drive which is right now is the Plug-in Hybrid X5 (60K miles today, 2020).

The discussion of highway trips. Our highway drive for the past 12 years have always been S-class vehicles with rear seat goodies. 3rd photo is not a photo I personally took, but a replica of my W223 S580 which is a replacement of my W222 S560. We have a 2020 X7 M50i too (bought it pre-owned, 46K miles for less than 66K USD). My only point is, I don't see how my wife and I can let go a car like this that we enjoy driving vs relaxing in the back on 50-50% basis during our monthly 8hrs trip. Others probably have never experienced that luxury and it's benefits, but I did, hence was just trying to share my part of the story as to why Tesla is a no-good highway carrier at that price range (well, Telsa plaid is still slightly cheaper that a fully loaded W222/w223 but close enough) if we can get or keep or S-class.
1c10aafd_2a94_4dad_b770_6de1987cf969_70bfa7191c6a5f47f358b7ea910ed6214a8f39cf.jpeg

43d8e8f3_745d_4c2b_b960_cc232893d1f4_d8cc1f7ea2cea348c6596a7e50fd215dfe85a86e.jpeg

There is no denying Tesla is not in the business of providing interiors like these. If this level of refinement is important to you, you definitely don't want a Tesla for long trips.

I checked the photos of the 2021 Model S that am going to test drive this week. There are no holes. Is that an indication that it has no sensors? If so, when will the software be able to accommodate (sensor-like) behavior? Will that (in the present) impact the vehicle ability to park itself or navigate in tight places (parking lots or garages without notifying me that am close enough)? Am kind of surprise about lack of parking sensors!!!
Yes, that is an indication there are no sensors. Tesla said the software would be done in early 2023. I usually add at least 6 months to any promises like that. Until they push out the software, auto-parking, smart summon, and distance measurements are not available. Again, there are pros and cons to owning a Tesla. You have to decide what is important to you. Unlike traditional vehicles, Teslas change a lot over their lifespan. The car you buy today will function differently 4 years from now. They put in the processing power and hardware to implement future features they haven't even thought of yet. That is one pro. One con: removing antique sensors for a SW solution that isn't complete yet.

Yes, that is an indication there are no sensors. Tesla said the software would be done in early 2023. I usually add at least 6 months to any promises like that. Until they push out the software, auto-parking, smart summon, and distance measurements are not available. Again, there are pros and cons to owning a Tesla. You have to decide what is important to you. Unlike traditional vehicles, Teslas change a lot over their lifespan. The car you buy today will function differently 4 years from now. They put in the processing power and hardware to implement future features they haven't even thought of yet. That is one pro. One con: removing antique sensors for a SW solution that isn't complete yet.
Thanks, that makes sense and doesn’t seem to be an issue I should worry about

Parking sensors were removed in October 2022. Any car built before then should have the sensors present. Tesla's plan was to replicate the functionality of the sensors using software/cameras. If and when that happens is still debatable but has not happened yet. Personally, I feel like Tesla should have perfected the replacement functionality first before removing the sensors.

As for autonomous driving, people like to dog on FSD but this is mostly due to Elon overselling (and overpricing) it. As a true level 2 autonomous driver assist feature, FSD beta is best in class. I use FSD beta every single day on a mix of highway, local, and town roads and it works well. The biggest advantage over competitors currently is that it works on just about any road. GM's Super Cruise, Ford's Blue Cruise and even Mercedes Drive Pilot (which was recently certified in Nevada as a Level 3 system) only work on predefined pre-mapped out roads.

Parking sensors were removed in October 2022. Any car built before then should have the sensors present. Tesla's plan was to replicate the functionality of the sensors using software/cameras. If and when that happens is still debatable but has not happened yet. Personally, I feel like Tesla should have perfected the replacement functionality first before removing the sensors.

As for autonomous driving, people like to dog on FSD but this is mostly due to Elon overselling (and overpricing) it. As a true level 2 autonomous driver assist feature, FSD beta is best in class. I use FSD beta every single day on a mix of highway, local, and town roads and it works well. The biggest advantage over competitors currently is that it works on just about any road. GM's Super Cruise, Ford's Blue Cruise and even Mercedes Drive Pilot (which was recently certified in Nevada as a Level 3 system) only work on predefined pre-mapped out roads.
Assuming the new approach works better than Parking Sensors, will older models also get the same implementation technology wise since it's all camera based?

FSD isn't a priority for me, nor that I will buy it or pay for it on any future Tesla I get. I prefer spirited driving, though I never floor any of my vehicles ever, but I love driving and I even sometimes drive only for the sake of driving mentally; so no way I would need FSD or enjoy it. Drive Assist and lane centering works perfect for me, which I also believe Tesla basic pilot system is good at. I tested FSD on a Model X rental, just for the fun of it. I never use Drive Assist on any of my current vehicles either, except lane centering on highway (just in case).

Speaking about FSD, I asked the Non-Tesla dealer who has that 2021 Model S am considering to let me know what kind of AutoPilot system level does it have, and they have no clue! Is their a set of steps I can ask them to follow to check what AutoPilot level does it have? They sent me a photo of the setting menu which means nothing to me.

Last edited:

That’s the beauty of having these types of options. Want something that’s comfy to sit in? Get the S580. Want something of similar size that’s also crazy fast? Get the Plaid.

The term “luxury” is dependent on what the individual values most.