Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The i3 has too low range, the i8 is a Fisker Karma with better badging.....If that sounds dismissive, well I guess it is.

View attachment 26524View attachment 26525

You don't have a clue of what you're talking about - the Fisker was powered by a generator engine - the I8 has a high performance engine with an 6 speed transmission - furthermore the electric in the I8 is only there for front axle use for launching the car off the line.

The BMW I3 has more than twice the ample range tthan it needs - the average distance is less than 40 miles for 80% of the US drivers the I3 gets 70 miles and if that's not enoght you can get a range extender and drive Miami to La.

Try to get your facts straight!

Best Regards

Mike

The BMW I3 has more than twice the ample range tthan it needs - the average distance is less than 40 miles for 80% of the US drivers the I3 gets 70 miles and if that's not enoght you can get a range extender and drive Miami to La.

Best Regards

Mike
Most people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car that is limited to little more than their average commute. Life happens and people need to be able to drive further on weekends, etc. Also most people wouldn't be comfortable driving the car to near 0, so with a reasonable buffer the car is even more limited. What about range when the temperature drops, or after a few years of battery degradation? There's not much margin for error here.

The i3's range extender only adds another 70-80 miles once your initial electric range is gone. While yes, it's hypothetically possible to drive the i3 from Miami to LA, I couldn't imagine stopping every hour or so for gas. (And I know Model S can't go from Miami to LA very easily just yet, but it's likely that within a year or two that'll change with additional superchargers along I-10.)

BMW i3 REx: Road-Tripping With 72 Electric Miles, 1.9-Gallon Gas Tank

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that BMW offers the i3, and from everything I've heard it's a great car. I don't think I'd ever buy one, but I am interested in trying it out someday. Let's be realistic though -- the i3 was never intended to be a long-distance (certainly not US cross-country) car.

The i3's range extender only adds another 70-80 miles once your initial electric range is gone. While yes, it's hypothetically possible to drive the i3 from Miami to LA, I couldn't imagine stopping every hour or so for gas. (And I know Model S can't go from Miami to LA very easily just yet, but it's likely that within a year or two that'll change with additional superchargers along I-10.)

BMW i3 REx: Road-Tripping With 72 Electric Miles, 1.9-Gallon Gas Tank

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that BMW offers the i3, and from everything I've heard it's a great car. I don't think I'd ever buy one, but I am interested in trying it out someday. Let's be realistic though -- the i3 was never intended to be a long-distance (certainly not US cross-country) car.

thanks for the reply Ill agree the I3 is not for every one but it is a fun car thats pretty quick and handles really great and is roomy for 4 adults.

I understand BMW has started a program where you can drive it for a day or two to try it out.

regards

Exactly, but that is not an excuse, it is yet another reason to criticize them and the car.
They purposely built it as a bad EV, when they could do WORLDS better.
They are not helping the EV cause but hurting it.

ActiveE already was worlds better than i3. It also had higher HW range than i3 has. It actually was a normal car. With an upgraded EV drivetrain I would already be mine. And should cost less than i3 (at least to BMW).

"Purposely built as a bad EV.."
PUH-LEASE.

As far as beauty goes you may have a point. Then again, looks are subjective, so you have less of a point and more of an opinion.. and we all know when it comes to facts, opinions really don't matter. As for the range, you're looking at something that is a trivial difference. ActiveE was rated at 94 miles. While the i3 was rated at 80 miles. You're looking at a difference of 14 miles. FYI, there are people regularly getting 100 miles on their i3's... Though they live in Hawaii. However, isn't the same true for a Tesla owner or BEV in general. Cold weather destroys range. Throw in driver temperament with weather and (as we all know) actual mileage will vary.

Then you utterly ignore the fact that the i3 is entirely built out of carbon fiber and reinforced plastic. Not even the sacred cow we know of as Tesla is advanced enough to make a model S or anything else in their roadmap almost entirely out of carbon fiber. Need I remind you that carbon fiber is also the same stuff used in exotics and race cars? OH and btw, were you aware that the carbon fiber for the i3 is made in Washington state out of a factor that is powered by hydro electric?

Lastly, the i3 is the most fuel efficient EV money can buy for 2015. Thus the most fuel efficient mass produced production car. Most Fuel Efficient Cars In 2015 (USA)

So how exactly do:

• Carbon Fiber Construction - Plant powered by hydro electric - BMW factory powered by wind
  • 124 MPGe
  • Suitable Range for 80 % of the population
  • Fastest 0-60 for any non Tesla EV

make the i3 "Purposely built as a bad EV"?

I've had my i3 for 2.5 months and overall I love it. It's fit and finish are superb (which is something early model Teslas had a problem with) and it handles terrifically. Acceleration puts a smile on my face. So far nothing has beat me from a rolling start. Sure, I'd like a bigger battery, but then I'd just drive faster.

Have you even driven an i3? Because your comments smack of someone who hasn't driven one. You obviously haven't done the research. To call the active E "Worlds better" yet ignore the facts I bring up, underlines the sheer ignorance involved to come to such conclusions....

Sure maybe I've drunken the BMW kool-aid. But at least it's EV kool-aid. Sure, I will concede the i3 is ugly (though I think at times it looks damn sharp), but it's a pretty stellar little car when you get down to the facts. Hardly a bad EV.

+1 to the ganjaguru...

Neat car for the city. The more electric vehicles in the world the better it is for all of us... I love my P85D but it's really ICE vs. electric at this point.

EV owners are in the same place that 1915 (give or take) gasoline car owners were... had to plan trips and travel around petrol. We don't even think about that anymore given that there's a gas station on every corner. But it wasn't always like that...

My co-worker has the I3 and they just love it, they have had it for months and never had any problems at all. I could not believe just how roomy the car is inside.

Roomy? Ok, when you sit in the front seats it really does feel very roomy. But have you tried sitting in the back? Or even entering the back seats? Or putting stuff in the trunk?
If they liked the i3 and felt it was roomy, they should also try the e-Golf. By comparison it will feel gargantuan in size. And apart from the acceleration above 30 mph it is better than the i3 in almost every aspect - and quite a bit cheaper as well, especially fully loaded.

And that makes it a good car?

Prove that by replacing that BMW badge with a renault one.

Meaning what? That the Zoe isn't a good car either? I just don't get what badging should have to do with it.

I don't like the i3 for its looks, but the objective arguments ganjaguru gave, namely

•124 MPGe
•Suitable Range for 80 % of the population
•Fastest 0-60 for any non Tesla EV

are not to be dismissed.
And even though the i3 might not be the best EV around, it certainly has enough qualities to qualifiy (pardon the pun) as a good car.

And that makes it a good car?

Prove that by replacing that BMW badge with a renault one.

Here's my short answer:

And my long answer:

Yes, owning it makes it a great car coupled with the facts I provided above. Unlike you, badges on a car mean nothing to me. I never thought I'd own a Break.My.Wallet. But after looking at all the data points and actually driving the car, I do. I have the perfect EV to hold me over until an affordable Tesla comes along... It's quite apparent that looks and "badges" are more important to you than construction and data points. Replacing my badging doesn't change the facts that my car will still be made of carbon fiber, made in an environmentally conscious way and fuel efficient..... Why don't you go drive an i3 when you're old enough to drive.

Why would I deface the factory state of my car to prove a point to someone who is more concerned with badges and aesthetics? So I can look like this guy?
Look! I'm a "Hyundai"!!!!
lookImaHyundai.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: