Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just at the Toronto auto show yesterday and spent a good deal of time in the BMW booth going over the i3. It's a seriously nice car that has excellent build quality (as all BMWs have). It's an interesting take on an EV and shows some similarities with with Tesla's drivetrain layout (battery in the floor, motor in the rear).
The looks are quirkish to some, I happen to like it and Canadians don't have any aversions to hatchbacks like Americans do.

My only complaint with the i3 is the crazy lack of a sunroof and the minuscule battery and thus range. As for pricing, we're talking about a $50-55K CAD price for a car with a real-world 129KM range. Not even enough for me to get half-way to see my daughter or closest family members all of which are 150Kms away, one-way!

If I'm going to spend $50K I'll wait for Model 3 with the range I need as a primary car.

Frunk1-750x422.jpg

"The front storage compartment (Frunk) of my i3 after driving a few weeks on the salt-covered winter roads of New Jersey – yuck!"

Frunk6-750x422.jpg

Frunk9-750x562.jpg

Leaves can make their way into the frunk also, as found out by BMW i3 Facebook group member, Michal Cierniak

Ouch, those frunk pics are bad. So much for the fit and finish.

I kind of like the BMW i3.

But it sucks that it is a reasonable BEV, but only because what everyone else (aside from Tesla) is producing is absolute turd.

BMW gets credit for trying more than their nearest competition, but unfortunately that isn't saying much.

Sorry but the i3 is barely more than a prototype (and the i8 is a joke) imho.
Tesla remains the iPhone, and BMW et al are kinda the "Microsoft"s at the moment, fumbling around and probably at least another 2 years behind.

We own both an 85 kWh Model S and a BMW i3 BEV and in many ways the i3 feels like a more refined vehicle. The interior of the i3 is really well executed (down to the two garment hooks that can fold up into the roof when not in use and multiple interior storage compartments), they completely nailed the regen and one-pedal driving, and so far we haven't had a single issue with the i3 (the same can't be said for our early 2013 Model S).

Of course, the Model S is a much more capable and ambitious vehicle in almost every way (except for the carbon fiber reinforced plastic in the i3) and I plan to keep the Model S long after we return the i3 at the end of the three year lease. BMW needs to improve the range, improve the driver's display, improve the range display / guess-o-meter, dramatically overhaul their software, add over-the-air updates, and fire their smartphone app development team if they want to have any chance at our business when the lease is up. Otherwise the i3 will just be a placeholder for us while we wait for the Model 3 to come out.

We own both an 85 kWh Model S and a BMW i3 BEV and in many ways the i3 feels like a more refined vehicle. The interior of the i3 is really well executed (down to the two garment hooks that can fold up into the roof when not in use and multiple interior storage compartments), they completely nailed the regen and one-pedal driving, and so far we haven't had a single issue with the i3 (the same can't be said for our early 2013 Model S).

Of course, the Model S is a much more capable and ambitious vehicle in almost every way (except for the carbon fiber reinforced plastic in the i3) and I plan to keep the Model S long after we return the i3 at the end of the three year lease. BMW needs to improve the range, improve the driver's display, improve the range display / guess-o-meter, dramatically overhaul their software, add over-the-air updates, and fire their smartphone app development team if they want to have any chance at our business when the lease is up. Otherwise the i3 will just be a placeholder for us while we wait for the Model 3 to come out.
We also have an S and an i3...and I agree 100% with this sentiment. The only difference for us is we'll be trading the S in for an X (soon...please?) rather than keeping her. But the i3 will be swapped out for a 3 when the lease is up. Dunno what I'll do if the 3 isn't ready!

Context:
My daily driver is now a P85D (~2k miles of mine on it) and my previous daily driver was a P85 Sig (~45k miles). I've driven most of the Model S line (missing: 40, 70D, 85D).

Data point:
I drove an i3 yesterday (generous driver that I met at an EV event) sans Rex and it was, frankly, decently peppy up to 60mph (and I didn't test above that). Interestingly from 20mph-30mph was noticeably quicker feeling than 0-20mph. It was a dry day, and I did manage to leave some tread on the road (with corresponding squeal) even in my relatively short non-freeway test drive.

Random extra info:
- The owner is leasing the vehicle and would like to get into a Model 3 -- hopefully not too long after his lease expires.
- When describing the vehicle at the event, "base model" (cloth seats, base wheels, etc.) were his exact words.

I picked up an i3 Saturday on a 2 year lease. My finger has been hovering over the buy button for a tesla for 2 years, I really want to go full EV. However, I can't justify the Model S/X economically because my wife and I don't drive enough. However, leasing the i3 for 2 years will get me close to the model 3 and maybe I can extend lease once release date is more clear in early 2017. I did not get the erex extender or whatever it's called, I wanted full EV. It's a decent car but no Tesla and I would never buy one, I think Sticker on mine was almost 48k (I got it for 38k). However, the lease cost is $250 a month and i'm now able to park my 9mpg SUV and also reduce miles significantly on our other car (335D). I have an 8kw solar system that produces more than i use so i'll be driving this car for free. All things considered, I couldn't pass up getting into a "stop gap" EV at very little if any cost. I also think that the more EV's that are on the road, the more it will start to change peoples perception and I'm fine doing my part. There are no other i3's in my town and only 1 Model S.

Context:
My daily driver is now a P85D (~2k miles of mine on it) and my previous daily driver was a P85 Sig (~45k miles). I've driven most of the Model S line (missing: 40, 70D, 85D).

Data point:
I drove an i3 yesterday (generous driver that I met at an EV event) sans Rex and it was, frankly, decently peppy up to 60mph (and I didn't test above that). Interestingly from 20mph-30mph was noticeably quicker feeling than 0-20mph. It was a dry day, and I did manage to leave some tread on the road (with corresponding squeal) even in my relatively short non-freeway test drive.

Random extra info:
- The owner is leasing the vehicle and would like to get into a Model 3 -- hopefully not too long after his lease expires.
- When describing the vehicle at the event, "base model" (cloth seats, base wheels, etc.) were his exact words.

I would agree with your assessment about the 20-30mph vs. 0-20mph. I have about 7,000 miles on my Rex i3 and have done quite a few launches on it. The Rex is a little bit slower than the BEV because of the weight of the gas motor, so the difference in 0-20mph in my car may be even more than that of the BEV because of the weight.

While I think the i3 is a great car, after driving a Leaf and a Model S as daily drivers for years, I would not buy the i3 again at the price point it is currently at. I think the better value currently is getting a used 60kWh Model S through the Tesla CPO program. But there is no tax credit for a CPO car (I think), so the difference in price is still fairly significant and some may not want to pay the extra premium. But if I was looking for a car that I would keep for the long-term I would get a CPO Model S if I was in the market for a car right now and if my budget was the mid $40k to $60k range.

The i3 is still going through the early adopter issues just like the Model S did when it first came out. I keep having drive train errors and other random issues that are small and annoying (But I haven't been left stranded yet so the car is reliable from that standpoint). The pain is that I believe many of the issues are simply software issues that BWM will work out, but to get the software updates I have to go to the dealer, get a loaner car and work my schedule around that whole process. With my Model S, the software updates are just pushed to the car and I'm done.

Hopefully BMW will be bold enough and decide to start pushing updates directly to the car at some point in time. It does have a cell connection so I would think it has the capability for software updates over-the-air.

Say Brian, how about starting a thread on the P85D vs. the Classic SigP85. Would love to read about your impressions and comparisons of the two cars!

$250/month? How much money did you put down?

Yeah I guess that piece of information is important, sorry. I put down 3250 but that includes tax, lic, and maybe some other fees. It also included first month's lease payment. Not sure if I got a good deal or not, it's not a financial strain so I wasn't too worried about it. They had 7k down for the 250/month payment initially, I simply picked up the salesman's pen and crossed it off and wrote 3,000 down in it's place as he watched. The fact that they came back at 3250 right away made me wish I had written down $1500 instead.

edit - forgot to add that i test drove the egolf right before heading to BMW. I had test driven the i3 6-9 months ago when i was getting our 335D inspected for an issue. Hate to say it but the egolf is a complete bore, not only in the looks department but driving it as well. I almost got backed into on the test drive, the sales lady was panicking in the back seat along with my wife. I managed to accelerate out of the way, the other vehicle missed us by less than a foot. That would have made for a long day dealing with that and the wasted time it takes to buy at a car a dealer. To top if off, BMW parked the i3's in a place they are not easily accesable (on sidewalk behind other cars) and doesn't bother to keep them topped off. When we were test driving the car it had 20-25 miles in range, I knew if we were to buy it we would be sitting around waiting and that is what happened. We needed full charge to get home so there was no option. They are doing their best to discourage would be buyers, if they don't change their ways (and make a better car) their days are numbered IMO.

Last edited:
I picked up an i3 Saturday on a 2 year lease. My finger has been hovering over the buy button for a tesla for 2 years, I really want to go full EV. However, I can't justify the Model S/X economically because my wife and I don't drive enough. However, leasing the i3 for 2 years will get me close to the model 3 and maybe I can extend lease once release date is more clear in early 2017.
It's a bit late now, but if your ultimate goal is Model 3 then you should have gone for at least a 3 year lease. There is no chance Model 3 will be out by May 2017 and production will likely still be limited by May 2018.

The California EV rebate requires a minimum 30 month initial lease term, so by going for a 24 month lease you disqualify yourself from the $2500. You will also likely pay more in the long run since lease payments are generally higher for a 24 month lease versus a 36 month lease. Even if you extend your lease term, your payment typically stays the same as it was for your initial lease period even though the car is depreciating less rapidly. $250 a month sounds great, and even an effective $385 a month adding in your down payment is still a good price for the i3, but I can't help but think it would have been even lower for 36 months.

I'm well aware of the Model 3 schedule and I know the lease will run out on this before it's available, could be up to a year if Tesla is late like always. However, I felt I would rather deal with trying to extend a lease and pay a bit more for it then be stuck with a car I didn't want. If you read my previous posts, It should be apparent that I knew the model 3 would not be available by May 2017. This is a 3rd vehicle for us, we won't be left stranded without it.

There were other factors in play that made the car more affordable for my family as well. I do think that if I use the 20k miles on the lease I will have very little in to the it by the end, including the upfront costs. This is based on my specific situation, may not be true for everyone.