Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I think there is plenty of it from Realist, which is why it's being given back in return.

Yep. I think he's made his point about the i8 and its power train being a superior technology and EVs being impractical for over a year now.

Realist: please check out the rest of the site if you are indeed here for honest discussion and not simply to push an angle.

.../ The first i8 in the US was auctioned off at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this past weekend /.../ the car eventually sold for $825,000 to an unnamed buyer.

/.../

A number of other i8s were delivered to a few /.../ who managed to make their way to Pebble Beach over the weekend, including /.../ Roger Penske and Nest CEO Tony Fadell. /...

[My underline.]

First BMW i8 in US sells for $825,000 | autobloggreen

(The forum software told me my message was to short and that I had to add three characters… So the only way to make any sense was to add 144 more…)

Yes, this really bolsters the Dealerships argument that we need them for "integrity and honesty" :confused:

Free market in the U.S. Some are very willing to pay such a premium, but this type of pricing will not hold for long. This is not a limited production vehicle and with no heritage behind it, so those spending the extra $$ are essentially tossing it away. I do suspect whether there is any truth to these mark ups. At the end of the day, what the dealers want vs. what they actually get can be quite significant. Too many dealer games.

Umm... that can't actually be done. In any car.

Was coincidentally reading this earlier today:

BBC News - Silent Darien: The gap in the worlds longest road

"The loggers will follow the road, forests will fall, and huge chunks of paradise will be lost forever."

I don't think I would call that place a paradise... but I don't see why they can't make a single road through there and make the rest off limits still to logging, just as it is right now. Plus with a road it would be easier to control, since most people will stick to the roads rather than risk all the dangers off the road. Just my thoughts...

.../ but I don't see why they can't make a single road through there and make the rest off limits still to logging, just as it is right now. Plus with a road it would be easier to control, since most people will stick to the roads rather than risk all the dangers off the road. /...
There likely is no entity that can enforce such a logging ban. And if there is, then that entity is massively undermanned, underfunded and lacking the necessary skill set and equipment. And add to that one of the world biggest corruption problems. And at the root of it all there is of course one of the worst economic inequality gaps on the planet. A inequality gap with the kind of poverty that leaves some folks homeless on the streets with no money for food. The only way to survive may be prostitution. IMO there are likely more factors, but as I understand it, those can not be discussed on TMC.

There likely is no entity that can enforce such a logging ban. And if there is, then that entity is massively undermanned, underfunded and lacking the necessary skill set and equipment. And add to that one of the world biggest corruption problems. And at the root of it all there is of course one of the worst economic inequality gaps on the planet. A inequality gap with the kind of poverty that leaves some folks homeless on the streets with no money for food. The only way to survive may be prostitution. IMO there are likely more factors, but as I understand it, those can not be discussed on TMC.
What does this have to do with the i8 again? Oh yes -- due to no connecting road, can't drive it from North to South America. Moving on... :)

Several i8s were delivered/presented to owners in a BMW US launch event in Pebble Beach this past weekend. Also, if anyone considers the base price of the i8 is simply too low to be of interest, then you just missed an opportunity to outbid someone who paid $825k for a one-off "Concours d'Elegance Edition" i8. "Proceeds to charity" and all that, but still. Oof.

Gizmag: BMW celebrates US launch of i8 sports plug-in with $825K one-off

Actually yes, a lot of people have given Tesla some slack for it not just being their first effort at making an electric car from the ground up (I don't fully count the roadster since they didn't make the whole car in house... it is a semantics thing I guess), and it was only their second car and first mass production car... so a lot of people have been very nice to Tesla... A lot of people have not... and a lot of it is deserved gratitude because it really is a nice car.

I still have mixed feelings about the i8 as a *car* (not really judging the hybrid aspect... *shudders*)

Imagine how much faster the Model S would be if it were <3400lbs! :)

Indeed! That is one of the reasons for it's worse handling around the figure 8... it is such a heavy car the wheels have trouble staying stuck to the ground. Given it's power output it would also be REALLY quick if you could drop about 1400lbs off of it. I mean, consider the roadster in that discussion...

Model S P85RoadsterRoadster Sporti8
Power416 HP (310kW)302 HP (225kW)299 HP (223kW)357HP (266kW)
Torque443 lb-ft273 lb-ft295 lb-ft236 lb-ft
0-604.0Sec (Motor Trend)3.9 Sec3.7 Sec3.8 (Motor Trend)
Weight4647 lbs2723 lbs2723 lbs3274 lbs

Imagine if they could suck out all the power electronics out of a P85 and slap it into a roadster how fast that would be! Especially since they can fit a larger battery (density wise) into the roadster frame. That thing would be blazing fast!

But regarding the i8, assuming you didn't care that it was a hybrid and was debating between it and the roadster, which would you honestly prefer? Because to me, they are very closely matched cars. Just looking at the specs on paper, I really don't see how the i8 is able to outperform the Roadster. That just baffles me! Can anyone explain this?

I must say, I am pleasantly surprised at the weight distribution on the i8, that is almost perfect.