Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading the Motor Trend comparison, it seems like the amphibious nature of the i8 is showing. It isn't all that great as an EV, it isn't all that great as a supercar. It has its niche (it has way better mileage than most supercars), but the cost is so high that it isn't going to make much impact unless they follow it up with a better EV in the future.

I got a real laugh out of "amphibious"! What happens when I drive the i8 into a lake? Don't worry, I know English isn't your first language, it's just that this is a great typo for "ambiguous"!

I got a real laugh out of "amphibious"! What happens when I drive the i8 into a lake? Don't worry, I know English isn't your first language, it's just that this is a great typo for "ambiguous"!

I think he means amphibious, metaphorically--neither pure EV nor pure ICE. Somewhere in between.

I like to share facts and opinion.

This forum is well informed regarding Tesla.

On the i8 its a different story.

Please enlighten us on what we don't understand about the i8. I understand you also have never driven it so we are both going off things we've read.

Is the i8 safer? No.

Is quicker to 60mph? No

Higher top speed? Yes

Better looking? Subjective but it's designed to look like a Supercar so sure.

Better on track? Maybe. Runs out of juice just after the Model S so slightly better.

Holds more people? No

Wireless software updates? No

More luggage? No.

Better EV range? Definitely no

Bottom line is who cares? Why keep comparing them? They are two very different cars.

Last edited:
The i8 certainly is a nice looking car, I just wish it had better range in EV mode, in all honesty I don't like the range extender type cars as well as I like all electric but I guess BMW has to start somewhere

Agreed. I'd consider the i8 if it was a pure BEV with similar range and performance as the Roadster. The "Swiss army knife" range extender has zero interest for me - it's impossible to get a smooth power handoff between two drive trains. My old BMW M6 had an awkward and annoying hesitation in the SMG transmission, the same has come up in several i8 reviews. I wouldn't want to go back to that after driving a Roadster.

Just read the bottom line:

QUOTE:

"The BMW is more fun to drive"

:-D

Oh, are we doing just single quotes? How about this one from Car: "More focused and single minded is how the Porsche feels."

Or maybe this one, which is REALLY the bottom line from the MT article: "As nifty as the i8 is, the real revolution is the Tesla Model S."

Just read the bottom line:

QUOTE:

"The BMW is more fun to drive"

:-D

Oh please don't play silly games, you used to be better than this. Here are the sentences from the article:

The BMW is more fun to drive; it'll turn more heads, and you can drive it from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego. But Lieberman summarized our findings this way: "Do I like the i8 better than the Model S? Yes. Am I as blown away by it as I was by the Model S? No. As nifty as the i8 is, the real revolution is the Tesla Model S."

And this is what you claimed was a quote:

Even with no electric assist you can continue to drive on the track with the gasoline engine. The difference is 4s each lap. So the perfomance is still respectable.

Anyway this test finally shows that the BMW i8 is faster than the Model S and more fun to drive.