Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the i8 does well for it's niche, hopefully it'll convince BMW to make a real electric car instead of such a short range one. The i8's range is so tiny, I couldn't even make it to work and back on battery. I'd get beat off the line by damn near anything with guts while still 10 miles from my house.

Couple of interesting observations in this test of the P85+ v. the i8:

2014 Tesla Model S P85+ vs. 2014 BMW i8 Comparison - Motor Trend All Pages

First, they acknowledge that it is goofy to compare the two. Second, the Tesla comes out the winner. But related to the question raised above--they note that the i8 can do two laps of Laguna Seca before the electric assist is gone. Frankly, that's a little better than I expected, but this isn't a car you're going to take to a track day.

First, they acknowledge that it is goofy to compare the two. Second, the Tesla comes out the winner. But related to the question raised above--they note that the i8 can do two laps of Laguna Seca before the electric assist is gone. Frankly, that's a little better than I expected, but this isn't a car you're going to take to a track day.
Was just about to post my own follow-up -- you beat me to it! Thanks.

After reading the Motor Trend comparison, it seems like the amphibious nature of the i8 is showing. It isn't all that great as an EV, it isn't all that great as a supercar. It has its niche (it has way better mileage than most supercars), but the cost is so high that it isn't going to make much impact unless they follow it up with a better EV in the future.

Even with no electric assist you can continue to drive on the track with the gasoline engine. The difference is 4s each lap. So the perfomance is still respectable.

Anyway this test finally shows that the BMW i8 is faster than the Model S and more fun to drive.

Even with no electric assist you can continue to drive on the track with the gasoline engine. The difference is 4s each lap. So the perfomance is still respectable.

Anyway this test finally shows that the BMW i8 is faster than the Model S and more fun to drive.

That is one way to look at it.

Of course, if you go to a track day, 4 seconds is a huge difference--it's the difference between potentially being in the mix of a run group and being a rolling road block. Get used to doing point-bys.

Comparing the two is kind of silly, because they are entirely different types of car (ignoring their drivetrains completely). It's like comparing a 911 and a Panamera. There will be a limited number of people who cross-shop, but not many.

The real question is how do the cars compare to those vehicles they *do* compete with.

A Tesla costs about the same as a Panamera, offers the same or better performance, and a great deal more utility.

An i8 costs 30K or more more than a 911, offers similar performance for about two laps at which point it gets a good deal slower, and the same or less utility.

Which is the better car?

Hahaha! Thank you for starting my morning with a comment that really made me laugh out loud. :-D

I was actually just quoting the Motortrend article. I don't know if this is true because I haven't driven the i8 yet.

Anyway, the i8 waiting list continues to grow. If you order now you will not get your car before summer 2016. If you want one now you have to pay 30k extra on the grey market.

Sorry it's hardly going to be another Fisker Karma.