Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming a speed of 20 km/h, 1 kWh/km means 20 kW regen. So the Model S would have three times the regen. (Of course, kW/ton is also important, and will decribe the experienced deceleration.)

Assuming 20 kW is accurate for the i8, the i8 would have approximately 13.5 kW/ton, while the Model S has about 28.5 kW/ton. In other words the Model S has about twice the regen.

Realist, we can figure this out more accurately if you state the peak kWh/km figure you get, *and* the exact speed at which you achieve this peak figure.

Would be interesting to know - after a few Thousand kilometers - how many liters of petrol and how many kwh's the car has used. If 5 kwh gets you 25 km (so about 200 wh per km, which is comparable to Model S) then it should be easy to calculate what the fuel consumption of the ICE is. Say 3,000 km with fuel consumption of 120 liter and 240 kwh = 120 liter for 1,800 km = 15 km per liter. Just an example. Would be interesting to know how the i8 fares.

Love how the model s is doing that in December (instead of 2016) and is .3 seconds faster with the same top speed and is 50k less and comfortably seats 5 instead of 2... Seriously, if this is the "answer" to the P85D then they have failed miserably... Which is unfortunate.

I really hope to see this change for the better come 2016 by at least somehow making it MORE of an EV.

If it does all that they claim and they get enough battery to give it something like 100 miles of range it MIGHT be a step in the right direction for BMW.

Love how the model s is doing that in December (instead of 2016) and is .3 seconds faster with the same top speed and is 50k less and comfortably seats 5 instead of 2... Seriously, if this is the "answer" to the P85D then they have failed miserably... Which is unfortunate.

I really hope to see this change for the better come 2016 by at least somehow making it MORE of an EV.

If it does all that they claim and they get enough battery to give it something like 100 miles of range it MIGHT be a step in the right direction for BMW.

Given that new i8s currently sell with almost 50% above recommended price e.g. in the UK I don't believe that BMW has to be worried much. Let's see if the P85d gets out of minivan territory with regard to its Ring times before claiming that it trumps sports cars.

What is the i8's ring time in EV mode?

I think the answer to that question is "irrelevant". And I don't mean that in an offensive or confrontative way. Kind of like asking what lap time you'd get using only first and second gear of a regular ICE, if never pressing the accelerator pedal more than 1/2-way down or some other such imagined constrained and stunted mode of a car.

I think the answer to that question is "irrelevant". And I don't mean that in an offensive or confrontative way. Kind of like asking what lap time you'd get using only first and second gear of a regular ICE, if never pressing the accelerator pedal more than 1/2-way down or some other such imagined constrained and stunted mode of a car.
Same goes for "lap time". Going to some special circuit and pressing it to the bottom is not much different from "never pressing the accelerator pedal more than 1/2-way down" - lap times are irrelevant. i8 and MS are not racing cars, they are "civil cars" made for public roads. i8 may have the looks for some (not for me) but not much more than that.

Is is a symbol of old guys incompetence. i8 is a failed product when you look at it from future point of view. All that is good on it, comes from ICE, they will improve it by improving the ICE. EV part of the car is a misery. Same misery as i3.