TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BMW Shifting Focus of I Brand

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by zenmaster, Jun 3, 2016.

1. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

BMW puts EVs on the ‘back burner’ to focus ‘i’ brand on self-driving cars
    “The company has changed tack after its only fully battery-powered car, the i3, failed to gain traction with the public, with only 25,000 sales last year. By contrast, Tesla has already received more than 370,000 orders for its Model 3."

Now, rather than seeking to match the likes of Tesla and Porsche with a new zero-emissions sports limousine for release within the next two years, its main focus will be on developing an electric car with the next generation of technology: autonomous driving.”

Article says the new platform not expected until 2021.

• Informative x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Was it because the i3 was ugly, made of plastic, had bicycle tires, and slowed down unexpectedly when under heavy load (read: BMW FAIL)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As usual, BMW is way behind. They make a weird looking EV with extremely limited range unless buyers pay for an optional gas-driven onboard generator, sales are pathetic, and they decide not to focus on improving it but focus on something they have no experience with: autonomous driving.

The people running that company seem confused.

• Like x 10
  4. sg021

sg021 Member

The i3 was never a real BMW, that's plain as day the moment you see one in person. I am really surprised about this though. They made all that carbon fiber investment and produced two cars. All I can guess is that they saw a bleak future against Tesla with the current path the i line was on, but didn't want to abandon the i line entirely. I'm also surprised because they're breaking rank with MB and Audi, which for the moment are still in the game.

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

They definitely didn't take the advent of EVs seriously and it will hurt them plenty in the short term.

• Like x 1
  6. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

BWW had a real electic BMW. The BMW ActivE. With a 32kw battery and 150km EPA range. I thought for the production model they'd step their game up and go more efficent and bigger battery (i.e 45kw) for 250km electric range or so.
    Obviously it mutated into the i3 later which has the desireability of a bicycle with flat tires...

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  7. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Yes, at one point they shoe-horned a battery into an existing 1-series gas tank and transmission tunnel for testing purposes. However for much better efficiency, they needed to design an EV from the ground up. Unfortunately, they introduced the i3, which was likely made ugly on purpose.

• Like x 2
  8. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

Meanwhile, BMW franchise dealerships breathe a - collective - sigh of relief; and go back to selling the same-old-crap.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. electracity

electracity Active Member

For a moment, let's take the radical view that BMW management isn't stupid. Let's say they found that carbon fiber has no advantage for high volume production, and that their plan to ease into EV through a long transition period has been disrupted by Tesla in general and the model 3 in particular.

If this is true, BMW would need 4-5 years to reposition and build a high volume aluminum/steel EV that is a true BMW.

The i3 is hundreds of pounds heavier than one would expect for a carbon-fiber car. There seems little point in doing high volume production of heavy carbon fiber EVs. They could reposition and build all their high end cars with quality carbon fiber, and build their high volume cars with aluminum and steel, for which the already have the presses and expertise.

10. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Only if it's too expensive for the value provided. But this is unlikely. A pressed steel equivalent car would be at least 15% heavier. BMW's carbon-fiber tech may wind up giving them a significant advantage at some point.

• Like x 2
  11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

But, but...a $2 Bbbbbbillion investment netted them the i3. Um...radical is the wrong word I think. Stupid, though.... :D

12. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

If the supposition is true then the contention is false.

• Funny x 2
  13. zag2me

zag2me Member

Did you guys even read the original article? :)

So the Electric models will continue, its just they are adding in autonomous technology as well!

14. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Re-read the article. No new BEVs until 2021. Only hybrids introduced in the next five years

In the alternate powertrain game 5 years is a lifetime.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  15. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

does this mean they are going to kill the i3/i8? I thought I'd read somewhere that they were gg to be making an i5...

16. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

They will continue to build the i3/i8, although without improvements the i3 might soon be obsolete. They have killed the i5.

17. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

I suspect we'll see that pulled forward FAST once the Model 3 starts eating their 3-series lunch.

18. dauger

dauger Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but nope; here's why:

Why BMW Won't Challenge Tesla Motors Until 2021 -- The Motley Fool

BMW doesn't have the money. They're even juicing high-profit M sales in order to make that 2021 target for a BMW long-range BEV. I'm not making this up; it comes from BMW's CEO.

Yes BMW is scared of Model 3, which is prompting them to pull every lever they have to make their 2021 target.

19. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

It startled me that BMW decided to cede the market and walk out, given that the i series are actually pretty nice cars. I thought they were making a serious effort to copy the best things in Tesla's design... and then they just back out and abandon the project until 2021, which is *years* too late.

20. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Lunch is over, we are well into dinner time. And BMW is picking up the tab to the tune of $321,354,000.

Thanks BMW!

[​IMG]