Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Body panel misalignment after having headlight replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had the passengers side headlight replaced today. The DRL piece was going out again, for the 2nd time. I looked the car over before taking it back, but when I got home and took a second look, I now notice a misalignment of the front quarter panel, the V where it meets the hood and bumper, and also abit where the bumper and the quarter panel meet at the wheel arch. I don't think it was like this before, but I cannot be 100% certain. Would the procedure to replace the headlight affect the body panel alignment in these areas?

I didn't take pics before, so I cannot be 100% positive it was caused by their repair. Has anyone else noticed the alignment was off after having the headlight replaced?

When I had my left headlight replaced for the same reason as yourself by a mobile tech, he actually focused on making sure that he tried to align it as best as possible and actually mentioned that was a known problem. To be honest, even mine isn't 100% flush.

This is just one of the knocks on Tesla as they are a newer manufacturer and as they are focused on number of cars they sell, QA, QC, and customer service suffers. Until there is more valid competition, they will continue to let it slide.....

When I had my left headlight replaced for the same reason as yourself by a mobile tech, he actually focused on making sure that he tried to align it as best as possible and actually mentioned that was a known problem. To be honest, even mine isn't 100% flush.

This is just one of the knocks on Tesla as they are a newer manufacturer and as they are focused on number of cars they sell, QA, QC, and customer service suffers. Until there is more valid competition, they will continue to let it slide.....
They’ve been making this car for 8 years now, them being a new manufacturer is no longer a valid excuse, they simply don’t care to improve the quality of the vehicle because as you say they are focused on quantity rather than quality of the product.

I've replaced the headlights before. The panel gap is caused by the need for having to remove the front bumper (not completely, but they do need to drop it). So I totally understand the gap between the bumper and the quarter panel in front of the wheel, that's probably a clip issue that either broke or is missed. The gaps you show above the headlight near the hood were probably there before, as the headlight wouldn't effect that panel, and it bolts in 3 spots, so it cannot be adjusted to my knowledge.