Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Booster seat and Tesla don’t go together

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem is not unique to Tesla but this forum is. So, we're discussing the problem from the point of view of Tesla owners here.

Maybe Tesla could just engineer a properly-made, safe, seat-belt-extender-for-booster-seats solution and sell it to us at a typical Tesla markup. We'd buy one. :(

They just happened to make all vehicles with the same problem, not sure about the Y. I have a feeling it is the same.

They just happened to make all vehicles with the same problem, not sure about the Y. I have a feeling it is the same.

Problem?

What vehicle do you know of that doesn't have the "problem"? ( as you say it ).

1970 buick 225?

1970_Buick_Electra_225_2.jpg

This problem is not unique to Tesla but this forum is. So, we're discussing the problem from the point of view of Tesla owners here.

Maybe Tesla could just engineer a properly-made, safe, seat-belt-extender-for-booster-seats solution and sell it to us at a typical Tesla markup. We'd buy one. :(

And if the queen had balls she’d be the king. Tesla is not going to do what you want it to do with regards to this issue. At least not anytime soon. Go get another booster seat and return the one you have if you can’t make it work.

As a side note to manage anyone’s expectations about children buckling themselves into booster seats, don’t count on it happening anytime soon after you move from car seat to booster. Even if it fits well and everything is reachable, most kids don’t have the dexterity to do it right out of the gate. You’re still gonna have to fasten them in yourself for a little while.

Nobody’s saying the car is perfect. What they can’t do is make a seat that perfectly accommodates every car seat and booster seat on the market now and in the future. No manufacturer can do it. It’s unreasonable to expect Tesla to magically be able to.

Nobody's expecting Tesla's cars to work with every possible booster. We'd just prefer it if it worked with more than a very select few.

Incompatibility with most booster seats is a Tesla-specific issue.

If you pick 10 random boosters, maybe one or two will work in a Tesla, and even then, it'll work just barely usably. Try the same 10 boosters in pretty much any four door sedan, SUV, or minivan, and probably 7-8 of them will work.

Tesla doesn't need us to make excuses, they need to test what's available and make some effort to make the cars be compatible with a majority of products. Or they can design us a Tesla booster instead. We'd buy that.

If you pick 10 random boosters, maybe one or two will work in a Tesla, and even then, it'll work just barely usably. Try the same 10 boosters in pretty much any four door sedan, SUV, or minivan, and probably 7-8 of them will work.
Citation needed. I've had the same difficulty with various booster seats in my previous Acura sedan and my parents Honda and Lexus. Both of them have wider seats than the Model 3 but for some reason the buckles aren't located at the edges of the seats (I'm assuming to give the middle passenger room to sit without having buckles digging into their hips). They also have the same integrated buckle design instead of having straps - this seems to be a common design trend on many newer cars (and even my 2006 Acura was this way).

Although my mom's Honda does have awesome caps that cover the LATCH points instead of having them buried between the upper and lower parts of the seats, which makes installing and removing the seats much easier.

Citation needed. I've had the same difficulty with various booster seats in my previous Acura sedan and my parents Honda and Lexus. Both of them have wider seats than the Model 3 but for some reason the buckles aren't located at the edges of the seats (I'm assuming to give the middle passenger room to sit without having buckles digging into their hips). They also have the same integrated buckle design instead of having straps - this seems to be a common design trend on many newer cars (and even my 2006 Acura was this way).

Although my mom's Honda does have awesome caps that cover the LATCH points instead of having them buried between the upper and lower parts of the seats, which makes installing and removing the seats much easier.
This. Are you telling us, mal_tsla, they you selected 10 random booster seats and tested them all out in a M3, cause if you did, you have WAY too much time on your hands, even with social distancing.

This. Are you telling us, mal_tsla, they you selected 10 random booster seats and tested them all out in a M3, cause if you did, you have WAY too much time on your hands, even with social distancing.

I personally tried three different ones, but doing some easy Googling on parenting/booster seat websites finds supporting evidence that many boosters won't work in Teslas specifically, along with some recommendations on especially narrow ones that might work better.

We had zero problems with randomly chosen booster seats on our Nissan, Honda minivans and Infiniti sedans/SUVs. We picked the one we thought was best, and it just worked, just like it should. Only with the Tesla did we have to make multiple trips to exchange one and finally order something online after doing research on something that would work...

I'm certain Tesla is not unique here, but they are (not the only) outlier, and they could fix that.

Reactions: MooseFortress