Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could a TBM successfully tunnel through another tunnel at right angles? if so, this techniques could be used to easily create living and storage space on Mars.
That is one of my big questions about Boring. How will they connect equal sized branch tunnels?
The movement of the head requires a solid ring behind it, so any intersecting tunnel blocks the previous. Additionally, the outer ring grout would not be contained.
Specially designed crossing pieces (cutting the cylinder kills the strength) that get removed or cut out afterward and a way to seal off the grout layer might work.

From investor thread:

Hasn't been posted yet:

Miami mayor says Elon Musk will tunnel under the city for just $30 million

"Elon Musk told Miami’s mayor Friday that The Boring Company could dig a two-mile tunnel under the city for as little as $30 million — a fraction of the $1 billion price tag once quoted by local transit officials. Musk also told the Mayor that The Boring Company could complete the job in six months, versus the original four year estimate."

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Pricing for Vegas Loop
Vegas Loop — The Boring Company
Found thanks to:
The Boring Company’s initial fare prices for the greater Vegas Loop are released
According to the tunneling startup’s official website, trips from McCarran Airport to the LVCC, which cover a distance of 4.9 miles, would take about 5 minutes and cost $10 per vehicle. A trip from Allegiant Stadium to the Convention Center would cost $6 per vehicle, and a trip from downtown Las Vegas to the LVCC could cost $5 per car.

1618426209325.png

Reactions: RabidYak

This statement about prufrock goal speed has people questioning the grammar "Prufrock’s medium-term goal is to exceed 1/10 of human walking speed, which is 7 miles per day." does that mean the goal is 4.9 miles per week or 49 miles per week?
Context: Prufrock — The Boring Company
Prufrock is designed to tunnel at a speed greater than 1 mile per week, which is 6 times faster than The Boring Company's previous generation TBM (Godot+). This is still 4-5 times slower than a garden snail...but Prufrock is catching up!

Prufrock’s medium-term goal is to exceed 1/10 of human walking speed, which is 7 miles per day
Yeah, they appear to have dropped a 10x factor. 7 miles per day is 0.3MPH is 1/10 walking speed (3 MPH), but Gary the garden snail's pace is 0.03 MPH, another factor of 10, which aligns with the 1 mile a week goal.

Context: Prufrock — The Boring Company

Yeah, they appear to have dropped a 10x factor. 7 miles per day is 0.3MPH is 1/10 walking speed (3 MPH), but Gary the garden snail's pace is 0.03 MPH, another factor of 10, which aligns with the 1 mile a week goal.

That's the page I quoted from, but you didn't pick an answer, the two choices as I've seen the discussion are

* 4.9 miles per week
* 49 miles per week

the 7 days and 7 miles per day are in both answers but one divides by 10 for "1/10 of" wording. Some argue the walking speed is 72 miles per day and 7 miles is 1/10th of that, some argue it's 1/10 of 7 miles per day.

That's the page I quoted from, but you didn't pick an answer, the two choices as I've seen the discussion are

* 4.9 miles per week
* 49 miles per week
I say neither of those and that the mid term goal is 0.49 miles per week.
They directly say the design speed is 1 mile per week which is 5 times slower than the snail's pace of 5.04 miles per week at 0.03MPH which is 1/10 of 7 miles per day which is 1/10 of walking pace (72 miles per day or 3 MPH).. This, at least, is internally consistent.
The medium term goal must be less than the design speed, and definitely less than many multiple of the design speed. 7 miles per day is already 1/10 of human walking pace, another 1/10 of that would be the 4.9 number, but that is the final goal for the entire project, and faster than Prufrock's final speed. So I would think the mid term goal is 1/10 again or 0.49 miles per week. This is 1/2 of it's design speed and a reasonable goal.
Put more in the form of the last sentence: It's 1/10 of 0.7 miles per day.

The reddit crowd is downvoting any answer other than 49 miles per week

Can't say as I see how that makes sense. 49 miles a week = 7 miles a day = 0.3 miles per hour = 26 ft per minute x 12 foot diameter = 2,900 cubic feet per minute = 107 cubic yards per minute of soil to move = 20 yard dump trailer every 11 seconds.
And reddit is saying that's a medium term goal?!?

The same page shows 2 days of digging to go under a road. That seems much more in the range of 0.49/7x2=0.14x5280= 740 ft than 49/7x2=14 miles.

Silhouette / measurements of the new Tesla High Occupancy Vehicle for the Boring company LVCC loop and essentially a side by side with the Model 3 they are using temporarily.

The file is from 2020 but it was previously confidential, not sure when it got filed publicly, maybe the 08/10/2020 date?

Boring - Tunnel - Fire Protection Report_20200427.pdf

Type of Facility: Underground Public Transportation System
Name of Facility: Campus-Wide People Mover
Facility Address: 3150 Paradise Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89109
Date of Submittal: April 27, 2020
Application Number: BD19-48204

Revision 8 4/27/2020 from here 08/10/2020

View attachment 653890

Each vehicle is anticipated to have a load of 12 people, however for conservatism, each vehicle’s load is assumed to be 15 people for tunnel egress calculations. Vehicles are not expected to interact in the tunnels, however as an additional safety measure, the egress calculation assumes two full vehicles, which is a total of 30 people.

I'm guessing some TMC locals will be going. :)

Seems like the event is already full per the Eventbrite link.

Reactions: mongo
Seems like the event is already full per the Eventbrite link.
There is still a waiting list.... you might be lucky.

BTW, is there any mention of ADA accessibility?
Isn't a requirement for any public transportation?

Would it be possible to have a Model X without the second row and a ramp to provide ADA accommodation?
Unless ADA access will only available when the future Pod (?) will be delivered.

I noticed some escalators to access the underground stations, but I imagine there must be also some elevators
to provide ADA access or to carry someone on a gurney, or a baby on a stroller.

Last edited:

Don't know if this should go in a Vegas-specific thread, but testing has begun on the LVCC Loop.

And the Vegas loop goes live June 1.

Next big event at the LVCC is

World of Concrete 2021

Event Dates Jun 08 2021 - Jun 10 2021

/

which overlaps on June 10.

So we'll see videos again in a couple of weeks if no one videos between now and then.

What is the hourly capacity of people they can transport. Does Tesla or Vegas own the tunnels? Will people be charged to use the tunnels?

Something on the order of 2000-4000 people per hour.

Boring Company owns the tunnels, Tesla owns nothing.

People will download an app to get a ride and it will charge them per trip. Public vehicles won't be allowed in the tunnels. Just the Boring Company vehicles will be in there.

Vegas Loop — The Boring Company shows example pricing for the larger Vegas network, I want to say it was going to be $1 or $2 to the LVCC legs but I don't know the exact pricing.

Last edited:
Something on the order of 2000-4000 people per hour.

Boring Company owns the tunnels, Tesla owns nothing.

People will download an app to get a ride and it will charge them per trip. Public vehicles won't be allowed in the tunnels. Just the Boring Company vehicles will be in there.

Vegas Loop — The Boring Company shows example pricing for the larger Vegas network, I want to say it was going to be $1 or $2 to the LVCC legs but I don't know the exact pricing.

Fire regulations may limit it to ~1,200 per hour.

• Funny
Reactions: dhanson865

Restrictions put in place by Nevada regulators are making it difficult for The Boring Company (TBC) to meet contractual targets for its LVCC Loop, Elon Musk’s first underground transportation system.

The Loop system at the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) is supposed to use more than 60 fully autonomous high-speed vehicles to transport 4,400 passengers an hour between exhibition halls. However, TechCrunch has been told that Clark County regulators have approved just 11 human-driven vehicles so far, set strict speed limits and forbidden the use of on-board collision-avoidance technology that is part of Tesla’s “full self-driving” Autopilot advanced driver assistance system. Tesla’s Autopilot system technically does not rise to the level of fully autonomous, even though it is branded as such. It is considered — even internally, according to exchanges between Tesla and California regulators — an advanced driver assistance system that can automate certain functions.

Emphasis added is mine - is this correct? There are only 11 vehicles approved so far for the LVCC Loop?