Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boring thread about causes of battery degredation (includes anecdote)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a pre-facelift 2016 90D. It has the gen 1 (aka "worst") 90 pack and about 56k miles.

I'd had it for about a year and put about 10k miles on it. Very little but occasional supercharging, mostly charging to 90%+ on a 30a/208 charger using the "free" charger at work; sometimes charging as high as 98%. I'd immediately drive it down to below 90% and typically recharge at or below 50%. After a year of this the battery estimate went from 249 (90%) or 277 miles up to sometimes even 251(90%) or 281 miles at 100%.

Then I had a change of plans with the pandemic and started driving to a place where I had no convenient l2 charging but very convenient supercharging -- a supercharger near a supermarket. After several months of mostly supercharging and driving the car from 90% to 15% regularly, the battery seemed ... mostly the same. I rarely / never charged it even to 90% on the supercharger (usually would pull it off around 70% when the charge rate decreases substantially). I'd rarely / never let SOC get below 15% and didn't push it when at low SOC.

Very recently, we ended up driving the car pretty hard with a somewhat low SOC, to the point that a couple times the "limited power output" triangle showed up on the power / regen meter. I'm used to seeing it when it is cold, and I've also occasionally seen it as a limit when *very* cold, but never seen it due to low SOC. When we parked (with about 5% SOC) the car estimated that the pack had a maximum capacity of 236 miles at 100% (vs the typical 277...). After charging for a while it bounced back, mostly...

But since that last trip the battery's been charging at best to 248(90%) or 274(100%) though sometimes it'll guestimate that it can charge all the way up to 249.

Now -- the 1% difference is basically nothing relative to how I use the car, and it is possible that all the supercharging I'd been doing contributed to the wear and I hadn't really been keeping track (boo, not using teslafi), but it seems like there might also be a relationship between wear and how the car is driven at high and low SOC.

Thoughts?