Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boris has a Leaf, Rishi an Outlander

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
upload_2020-10-6_9-19-41.png

Two out of date pieces of junk, Boris with Chademo and Rishi with Type 1.

I also don't think much of the Type 1 upgrade on the Model X.

Well done trolling idiots for photographs Octopus.

Reactions: philgods
Is there some more context to this?
It's from their party conference where Boris announced a plan for the UK to be the 'Saudi Arabia of Wind Power'.

Clearly I'm all for wind and other renewable power, but it would seem improbable we would export it. Still according to the BBC he is also saying ....

He said the country would also be investing in renewable hydrogen fuel technology to provide what he called "grunt" for "trucks, for trains, even perhaps for planes - for vehicles that aren't readily capable of being moved by electric batteries.

Which at least is sensible.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
A load of ‘our’ wind turbines are made by a Danish firm (Vestas). Can’t very well export technology that isn’t ours. Can you patent a wind turbine? It certainly won’t be hard for China to copy (do they think that if they paint them a different colour we won’t notice?). ;)

upload_2020-10-6_13-49-25.jpeg

Are we going to export electricity to France (who has lots of Nuclear) or the Norwegians (who use 97% Hydro)?

Bizarre.

I appreciate we can export/license some tech, skills & expertise. The new ‘oil’ we can only hope, but I’m not holding my breath.

Direct feed from the house of commons and lords?

Has anyone worked out how many wind turbines and the area required to do that? I get he wants to stick them out in the north sea, but that seems a huge engineering and expensive task to do it all

I've always thought a combination of wind, solar(combined with battery) and tidal is currently the best way to sustainably power things. e.g Solar+battery for domestic use, topped up with wind/tidal in the grid etc for industrial use.

A load of ‘our’ wind turbines are made by a Danish firm (Vestas). Can’t very well export technology that isn’t ours. Can you patent a wind turbine? It certainly won’t be hard for China to copy (do they think that if they paint them a different colour we won’t notice?). ;)

View attachment 595797

Are we going to export electricity to France (who has lots of Nuclear) or the Norwegians (who use 97% Hydro)?

Bizarre.

I appreciate we can export/license some tech, skills & expertise. The new ‘oil’ we can only hope, but I’m not holding my breath.

No We're going to be part of a North sea grid Importing Electricity from Norway and the Scottish islands
Norway to Shetland interconnector still being considered

A PROPOSED interconnector cable between Shetland and Norway still remains under consideration, according to its developer.

The 600MW Maali link has been mooted for a number of years and a prerequisite of the project was the Caithness to Shetland interconnector going ahead.

With that link having received the green light after the Viking Energy wind farm got the go-ahead, the 400km HVDC Maali link could appear to be one step closer.

Norwegian developer Statkraft, which took on responsibility for the Maali project in 2018 when it acquired Element Power, said it still depends on “other factors” around renewables.

Statkraft is also developing the proposed 160MW Energy Isles wind farm in Yell.

“Maali is dependent on Shetland being connected to mainland Scotland which is now going ahead, but it also depends on other factors around developments in renewable generation, strategies for Net Zero and relevant policies,” a company spokesperson said.

“Maali is a long term project and is still being considered by relevant parties in Norway and UK.”

Documents connected to the project highlight that the Maali link could allow Shetland and Scotland to export energy to Norway during period of high winds and transmission constraints.

This would help to “reduce wind energy constraints and curtailments with associated system operation cost savings”.

It is also suggested that the Maali link could provide further energy security for Shetland if the Caithness-Kergord interconnector is out for maintenance or if there was a fault.

The developer also says that Maali would allow “low cost Norwegian hydro power to flow to Shetland and on to Scotland, Great Britain and through further interconnectors to Ireland, France and Belgium, especially when the wind generation on Shetland was below full output”.

This would then “enable the transmission connection from Shetland to Scotland to move from a load factor of up to 50 per cent to a load factor of 100 per cent”, it says.

The Maali link has been proposed to run from an existing substation in the Bergen region to the Kergord converter station, which is being part as part of the interconnector and Viking Energy project.

The team behind the Energy Isles wind farm have previously called for a larger interconnector to be constructed between the Scottish mainland and Shetland as a result of the potential wind power capacity in the isles.

The 600MW transmission link between the Scottish mainland and Shetland, meanwhile, is expected to become operational in 2024.

The diesel-fuelled Lerwick Power Station, meanwhile, is due to close in 2025.

In my opinion in the long run Tidal is the only reliable green energy but it will take a few years yet for the experimental tidal generators currently in use in Orkney, Shetland and the Western Isles to prove their worth over the Aero generators.