TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Borrowed Model X for my first driving experience

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by skate_a_book, Dec 13, 2016.

1. skate_a_book

skate_a_book Member

And good god this is amazing. Borrowed a 90D from the Turo app. I'm perusing the areas between Anaheim (doing Disney with family) and Venice. Where do you folks get a chance to absolutely floor it other than freeway entrances, of which I still haven't gotten an opportunity to due to traffic. I'd feel like I were doing something wrong if I did it on a surface street!

• Like x 2
  2. swaltner

swaltner Member

Only other chance is at the front of the line at a stop light with a couple clarifications:

- Double/Triple check that cross traffic isn't going to run their red light - From my years of motorcycle driving, I NEVER trust cross-traffic to honor the stop light.
    - Let off the throttle by the time you leave the other side of the intersection or you'll be going way above the speed limit
    - DON'T do this when you're parked next to a police car at the front of the line - can't find it, but there was a thread here along the lines of "Police don't like getting smoked" of someone getting a ticket for doing a full power launch from a stoplight right next to a police officer - ticket was for "exhibition of speed" or something like that

As you note, highway entrance ramps (or exit ramps if you also want to test the brakes) are relatively safe places to enjoy acceleration.

• Like x 1
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

This was the defacto ticket in the 60's in LA for burning rubber.:)

4. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Texas was "Exibition of acceleration". Very popular in the 80s as well.

5. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Only in the 80s the "acceleration" was less by an order of magnitude! :D

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

True - more "exhibition of noise"

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1