Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both cars unusable at the same time…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may have (almost) unlocked a new level of Tesla karma here.

Our Model S had a flat tire while parked in our local airport’s longterm parking. While I waited for a tow truck to arrive, my wife took the kids in our Model X to a nearby trampoline park. My tow truck never arrived even after an hour of waiting, so I called back Tesla. While I was on the phone with them for the second time, my wife had been trying to reach me because our Model X was having issues: its FWD wouldn’t open, and she saw a “car needs service” warning along with the car’s steering seemingly stuck. I asked her to try a reboot and call Tesla if that didn’t fix the issues.

While I was getting a ride in the tow truck to a tire shop my wife called to let me know that they were going to tow the Model X to a service center.

Has something like this happened to anyone else? All of their Teslas (n > 1) being unusable at the same time?

Anyway, I got my tire patched up and reached my wife, kids and our Model X before the tow truck did (no surprise there). While killing time waiting for another tow truck I tried a reboot, and immediately everything started working normally again.

Since I have a planned appointment with our service center for the Model X next week, we drove both cars home (after informing Tesla).

We still love our cars (probably because the kids did not have any tantrums while dealt with these issues). :)

red-car.jpg
blue-car.jpg

Boom! It happened again this morning with the X and this time the FWD refuse to open although the graphic in the display shows the doors to be full open. The steering issue showed up too so Tesla is getting this towed to the service center. :(

I had it happen to me, although it was somewhat self imposed. My S was at the detail shop getting tint and wrap and we came out one morning when my husband was trying to catch a flight to find the steering messed up on his S.

He jumps in our ICE Tacoma that no one had driven in a while to find a dead battery. Now we have two people needing vehicles and no vehicles.

Luckily I have a jump starter for off-road adventures in the truck, so he jumped the truck and headed to the airport. I waited for a tow and rode with the tow truck down to the SC. After a bit of drama about how I can't be Ubered to work due to the fact that I work on a military base, they hooked me up with a loaner and away I went.

It was a bad luck day for sure! Very glad I had the jump starter since neither S can provide that service to my truck anymore.

I think I may have (almost) unlocked a new level of Tesla karma here.

Our Model S had a flat tire while parked in our local airport’s longterm parking. While I waited for a tow truck to arrive, my wife took the kids in our Model X to a nearby trampoline park. My tow truck never arrived even after an hour of waiting, so I called back Tesla. While I was on the phone with them for the second time, my wife had been trying to reach me because our Model X was having issues: its FWD wouldn’t open, and she saw a “car needs service” warning along with the car’s steering seemingly stuck. I asked her to try a reboot and call Tesla if that didn’t fix the issues.

While I was getting a ride in the tow truck to a tire shop my wife called to let me know that they were going to tow the Model X to a service center.

Has something like this happened to anyone else? All of their Teslas (n > 1) being unusable at the same time?

Anyway, I got my tire patched up and reached my wife, kids and our Model X before the tow truck did (no surprise there). While killing time waiting for another tow truck I tried a reboot, and immediately everything started working normally again.

Since I have a planned appointment with our service center for the Model X next week, we drove both cars home (after informing Tesla).

We still love our cars (probably because the kids did not have any tantrums while dealt with these issues). :)

View attachment 252564 View attachment 252565

It can happen to ICE owners too. My wife and I were leaving the auto parts store after picking up the new rear bushings for her car when the brake line let go on my truck. Ended up getting a tow back home (during which a blue X merged in front of the tow truck to add insult to injury :(). Ended up splitting the knuckle putting the bushings on, so ended up doing the drive of shame late at night to the dealership with a truck will little braking, an SUV with loose rear knuckles, and, fortunately, our son's car which happy worked.