Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both key fobs disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all.

Both key fobs of my 2017 X have stopped unlocking the doors and enabling driving, and both failed at the exact same time.

Changed batteries. No avail. Hard reset the car several times. No change.

Odd thing is that the car’s lights turn on when I near the car, but that’s all the fobs will do.

I can unlock and drive the car with the app.

Anyone had this and found a fix that didn’t involve a service appointment?

Hey all.

Both key fobs of my 2017 X have stopped unlocking the doors and enabling driving, and both failed at the exact same time.

Changed batteries. No avail. Hard reset the car several times. No change.

Odd thing is that the car’s lights turn on when I near the car, but that’s all the fobs will do.

I can unlock and drive the car with the app.

Anyone had this and found a fix that didn’t involve a service appointment?
The signals are fine because the lights come on but it's the lock/unlock function that is the issue.

It sounds like something is happening on the side of the car and not the fobs.

The signals are fine because the lights come on but it's the lock/unlock function that is the issue.

It sounds like something is happening on the side of the car and not the fobs.
Yeah. That’s my feeling as well. The fobs are likely fine and the problem is car-side. Had a similar issue 2 years ago. Roadside assistance was able to remotely clear up some module overload problem or at least that’s what I remember the rep on the phone called it. Called roadside again but they quickly transferred me to support this time claiming it was non urgent. Have been on hold for quite a while…

Well, I have to say I'm quite surprised, and pleasantly so. Wait on the support line wasn't that long, or at least less than I thought it would be. Maybe 30 minutes. The agent who handled my call was super friendly and reassuring. She went through with me a number of things to check. Brought up how I had the issue a little over 2 years ago. She looked in the logs and saw the commands the agent back then had sent to the car to get the fobs to work again. She said front line agents were no longer able to send those commands but put me on hold to check 'with another internal group'. While I waited, the lights inside the X turned on so I could see they were doing something and then, a little later, the 'key fob not inside' message disappeared. She came back on and asked me to try putting the car in Drive and sure enough, it did! Apparently, they 'reset the electrical codes' or so she said. All this to say, issue solved.