Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought 150KM Range Model 3 in Canada - Can I upgrade range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2020 Model 3 tesla from out of town and was told it is a SR+. When it arrived I found out it was actually a SR with 150km range and no autopilot. When I ran the Vin it shows up at a SR+. Is there anyway I can get that mileage and autopilot back?

I bought a 2020 Model 3 tesla from out of town and was told it is a SR+. When it arrived I found out it was actually a SR with 150km range and no autopilot. When I ran the Vin it shows up at a SR+. Is there anyway I can get that mileage and autopilot back?

Thats not either a SR or SR+... its a specific tesla only available in canada, so not applicable to this thread discussion at all. Also, the internet says "no range upgrade for that model"

======================================

(moderator note)

Split off post from old SR+ downgrade thread as this OPs question is not about downgrading a US SR+ but upgrading a canada specific 150km Model 3.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Obviously, if you purchased under a specific premise (as you note above) there would be a liability on the seller's end to provide what was communicated. I would either expect the seller to take back the car (and you go shop for a new one that fits the bill you believed you'd paid) OR take them to court to pay for the upgrade to the version they were to have sold you (which is not possible). Either way, if you were sold under a specific premise, you have grounds to dispute this purchase.

Tesla was very clear when these were sold. It will never be possible to upgrade the range of a standard range to a SR plus.
I'd refuse delivery if it was advertised as a SR+.

Did you call tesla to confirm the vin and features?

Yeah, I remember there was no way to upgrade the range. It was that way to satisfy the Canadian tax credit requirements (basically Tesla sticking their middle finger to Canadian government for trying to exclude them from the credit). There is a way to upgrade SR to SR+ in the US, but that is irrelevant to that special Canadian model.

Tesla is not allowing range upgrade on new 150 km Model 3 in Canada - BUYER BEWARE

As others mentioned, rejection is the most likely course of action as you were delivered an SR, not a SR+ as you were promised.

VIN search tools unfortunately may not be reliable (it's not clear if there even a separate VIN designation for this special model). You should have asked for the MVPA vehicle configuration page. It will show explicitly the "Standard Range Plus" upgrade and "Autopilot" (it does at least in my USA SR+).