Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a Certified Pre Owned Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a gas car now feels like... watching a black and white television...

ha! that is the best quote I've seen on these boards in a while... nicely put. We are 100% electric now (Leaf + Tesla) and I cannot imagine ever going back. I've loved my tinker toy gassers over the years, but nothing comes close to EV enjoyment. I can't wait to upgrade to an 85D or P85D down the road.

And you're right, the loss of range made the Leaf hard to enjoy, which fueled my desire for a Tesla. Now that we have it, the Leaf rarely gets used. We've even considered getting a 60 kWh to replace the Leaf, for the times my wife needs a car on her own (our normal routine has us commuting together in the Tesla).

Oh and ... your 140 mile trip you speak of.. IIRC your car is an 85 RWD. While you won't be able to do round trip w/o charging, as the reply above said, you won't need a whole heck of a lot of charging to make it work. Check out PlugShare.com -- I bet you'll find even a 30A 220v option somewhere (or search for RV parks)-- where maybe at most you would need 1-2 hours to charge max. That might be an option... or is there a Nissan dealer nearby? They don't usually mind Tesla visitors.

This is why I bought new. I couldn't get a break on pricing buying used. Your price is better than most I've seen used but still more than a new one. A 2015 configured with those options is $84070 - $7500 (fed) - $2500 (CA) = $74070. To compare apples to apples, add $4000 for the extra 4 years (years 5-8) and mileage 50K to 100K ESA and now we're at $78070. The crazy thing I see people trying to sell there 2 year old S85's for $80K without the ESA which is insane as a new one withe tax credit is $6K cheaper.

Ok, I'm glad what I'm seeing is "normal".

Yea, I don't know how you'd do it with a leaf if I'm losing 40% of range due to cold. that's 40% on a HUGE battery. 40% loss on the range of a leaf would be fairly problematic!

You always see the P85D tearing it up in the snow, but you never read that... yea... you'll get 160 miles... not 260 when it's 20 out.

Since heat is a byproduct, or actually most of, a gas engine, range doesn't seem to be affected at all on my 2009 Tahoe if it's 20 out or 90 out. it's still going 400 miles to a tank. Now towing my boat... lol... that WILL cut the range! good bye 18 MPG hello 10 MPG.

It's just something to keep in mind while traveling I guess. Every other aspect of the car has been sublime. Driving a gas car now feels like... watching a black and white television...

Gas cars actually do suffer from actual range degradation, even without the use of a heater.

My gas smart car drops from a nice 43-45 mixed use mpg in the summer (sans AC) all the way down to the mid to low 30s on the same drive when the temperatures range between -10 F and 5 F. My car doesn't idle much more in low temperatures versus, say, 30-40 degrees F. I don't even run the heater at -10 F because my tiny car engine never reaches operational temperatures that cold out :scared: Gas cars aren't as dramatic until you hit such low temperatures though, as even 20 degrees for me will still keep my mpg in the high 30s range.

The availability of gas tends to make people forget about range concerns. Oh, and even with a 35-40 mile winter range on my upcoming electric smart, I still won't have much to worry about range-wise for the commuting job it has to fulfill :) I wouldn't say the Tesla has less range anxiety, just that you have to "range plan" in far fewer circumstances.

Does anyone have an e-mail address for the CPO team covering NY state? I would like to see what they have available (and hopefully make it work).

Knowing there isn't a store in western NY just yet, i can tell you that one of the closest stores to you here in Cleveland, Ohio, just got in a bunch of CPO Cars. I was up there yesterday, and they had around 6 or 7 of them parked out front. There were a bunch of P85s in the stash, some 85s, etc.... lots of options! You may want to reach out to that store, since they already have CPO inventory on-site! Apparently just got dropped off a few days ago...

I find it really odd that they don't let you purchase an extended warranty on a CPO car. If you buy a 2014 CPO you are barely left with what the remaining factory warranty is with no way to get additional coverage.

If the car has 23,000 miles for example the warranty is good until 73,000 miles. And im sure there will be some way to get additional coverage when it runs out, doesn't seem right that there wouldn't be.

Correct, now that the CPO program has officially launched the NEW and official warranty is

NEW--> 4 year, 50,000 from DATE and MILES of CPO purchase.

OLD --> Mine was different, which was 6 years and 100,000 from DATE/MILES of FIRST purchase. (worded as "2 year and 50,000 miles more than original).

I think they switched it to make it the same for all buyers, regardless of date/miles on the vehicle. It gives you that 'new car warranty' feel.

So I lucked out and am covered for quite the long time, under the new plan, I'd be under warranty from 2/20/2015 to 2/20/2019... which is actually the exact same (for me 2013).
However, for miles, I bought with 13,000. So under the new I'd have warranty until 63,000.... instead I'm good for 100,000 miles :)

And I do plan to drive... a LOT.

If the car has 23,000 miles for example the warranty is good until 73,000 miles. And im sure there will be some way to get additional coverage when it runs out, doesn't seem right that there wouldn't be.

I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a car that I wanted to keep longer to find out after 3 years that Tesla never plans to offer an extended warranty for COP cars and I only have one more year of warranty left. A 2014 car can have another 4 years of warranty coverage added until 2018 but if you buy it as a CPO your warranty runs out in 2019 with no way to extend that.

It's just really odd that for the same car they refuse to sell an extended warranty after it has been through the CPO process. I can see people who plan to keep their Model S longer buying from a private party instead so they can have a better warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the reason behind Tesla not offering extended warranties on the CPO cars. Is it because there is likelihood that car might not be well cared due to multiple owners?

When I purchased my ICE CPO they still offered extended warranty.

IMHO it is a horrible decision. People who buy CPO cars I think tend to be more value conscious and they may want to keep their car a bit longer (I know we do!). They keep saying how EVs are more reliable than ICE cars but when it comes time to selling an extended warranty they are refusing to do that for CPO cars.

We bought a CPO GL recently and Mercedes sold us an additional 3 years of CPO warranty coverage for $3,000. Tesla likely runs the only CPO program where you can't pay more to extend the warranty. This made our decision to buy one easier as having owned many premium cars before we'd never own one of these cars out of warranty. With no one else being able to service Tesla vehicles there's absolutely no way I'd consider owning a Model S out of warranty.

Honestly, I think its one of those things in flux. I am anxious about this as well as I am a long-term owner (most my vehicles are kept to 8-12 years old and sold b/c of desire for new features rather than necessity at that point). That said, I am buy "on faith" that the extended warranty will be an option, even if it can't be purchased today. We are continuing to see the CPO plans being in flux. First 6-year/100k warranty from first in-service date, then 4-year/50k from CPO purchase. First no transport fee, now a transport fee. I would imagine that soon we will see the CPOs be eligible for the extended warranty.

Honestly, I think its one of those things in flux. I am anxious about this as well as I am a long-term owner (most my vehicles are kept to 8-12 years old and sold b/c of desire for new features rather than necessity at that point). That said, I am buy "on faith" that the extended warranty will be an option, even if it can't be purchased today. We are continuing to see the CPO plans being in flux. First 6-year/100k warranty from first in-service date, then 4-year/50k from CPO purchase. First no transport fee, now a transport fee. I would imagine that soon we will see the CPOs be eligible for the extended warranty.

I bought a demo car and I am really happy with it...now I am seeing P85 CPO for really good price and I wanted to trade my car for P85 2013 and I understand that there might be some hardware changes and I am letting go of it but now I am skeptical of buying CPO car.

I hope you are right and I hope Tesla fixes this real soon.

The other thing I noticed is how the CPO warranty REPLACES the new car warranty and does not augment or extend it. The new car warranty is typically very comprehensive and covered everything including rattles and such and I wonder if the CPO warranty is as comprehensive.

I just purchased a 2013 p85+ CPO with 23k miles, tech, pano, performance leather, 21" turbine grey wheels, 2 rear facing seats, auto suspension, carbon interior and carbon spoiler for 59,500.

as per my rep in new jersey, the car's original powertrain warrantee (8yr/unlimited miles)
is transferred to me and there is a 4yr/50k cpo warrantee to cover what the limited powertrain does not.

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing I noticed is how the CPO warranty REPLACES the new car warranty and does not augment or extend it. The new car warranty is typically very comprehensive and covered everything including rattles and such and I wonder if the CPO warranty is as comprehensive.

the 8yr/unlimited is just powertrain, the CPO covers everything the powertrain doesn't as per my rep in jersey