Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a P3D- for many reasons - environmental consideration wasn't one of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla sells $90,000 luxury cars predominantly to people living in the largest houses in the world.

If you want to do something about the environment, drive your 10 year old Corolla into the ground or take public transportation.
Those people would be driving 10mpg Range Rovers and Mercedes S class otherwise, not Prius. So yeah, big house and Tesla is working to reduce GHG emissions. Next is 12mpg diesel drivers with the best truck ever made.

Some people push back against environmental soap-boxing. Better in my opinion to let cars like Tesla Model 3 and Porsche Taycan win people over on the merits as fun, comfortable, and convenient vehicles. The environment will benefit as a result.

Exactly. When people ask about the car, I don't even bring up the environmental benefits. People are tired of hearing the soapboxing from Prius, Tesla etc owners. The car sells it self once someone opens their mind and drives it so I concentrate on the reasons I personally purchased it.

Reactions: ChadS and tvad
Tesla sells $90,000 luxury cars predominantly to people living in the largest houses in the world.
We live in Los Angeles, which may have the highest per capita Tesla Model S and Model X ownership in the world (a guess...but not a wild guess). While it is certainly true that the owners are among the wealthiest in the nation (along with luxury car owners across all brands), I can assure you most of these folks aren't living in the largest houses in the world.

Last edited:
I bought both my Teslas because they were the coolest cars I've ever driven. Like I've said before, I would have bought them even if they ran solely on unicorn tears.

Having owned them, though, I do like the fact that they save me in gasoline, that they're producing less pollution (who wants to make more pollution?), and that they're not helping to make our enemies (and even our so-called "friends") in the middle East even richer. That's just icing on an already great car, though.

We live in Los Angeles, which may have the highest per capita Tesla Model S and Model X ownership in the world (a guess...but not a wild guess). While it is certainly true that the owners are among the wealthiest in the nation (along with luxury car owners across all brands), I can assure you most of these folks aren't living in the largest houses in the world.
Former silicon valley resident. I know the housing situation in california isnt rosy. Still very generous by global standards. And speaking of the US as a whole, it trails only behind Australia, and both are well well well above any economically comparable countries in sq-m/occupant. So we've got the heating and cooling of such arrangements; other aspects of lifestyle and consumption that likely arent compatible with "green"; and im gonna guess the Tesla typically is part of a multi-vehicle household?

So folks with a 5200-pound Model X for the wife and a 4100-pound Model 3 that chews through rubber, flouting about their environmental consciousness, is akin to having a Supersize Meal with a 2 Liter Diet Coke.

So folks with a 5200-pound Model X for the wife and a 4100-pound Model 3 that chews through rubber, flouting about their environmental consciousness, is akin to having a Supersize Meal with a 2 Liter Diet Coke.
It's better than a Range Rover for the wife and a Mercedes S Class for the significant other, which would be akin to a Supersize Meal and a 2 liter Regular Coke. Baby steps...

Reactions: theeskimo
It's better than a Range Rover for the wife and a Mercedes S Class for the significant other, which would be akin to a Supersize Meal and a 2 liter Regular Coke. Baby steps...
3-series, 5-series,Lexus and Accord owners are the ones switching to the S and 3.
Very few RR and S-class owners are falling for that spell.

And yes, a little bit is better than none. Just don't go bleating about a token gesture if you're still a massive net polluter. Instead of flipping a 2 year old Audi A4 for a Model 3 to occupy that 3rd space in the parking garage, maybe donate to the Sierra Club instead. Just saying.

Finally, a car-guy. 100% in the same boat. I've been growing tired of the gadget crowd! :)

As soon as I sell my current DD, I'll be in an M3P+. Considering I'll be moving from a G Wagen, I consider this the swap of a century... ha.

My former DD was a 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser that was lifted on 34" tires, steel bumpers, steel armor everywhere, and just about every modification you can do to one. It weighed 7,800 pounds and got ~13 mpg on a good day, so moving to the Tesla was a massive change. To be honest, I can't wait for the Rivian R1S which I think is the perfect middle ground between the two.

Reactions: theeskimo
Former silicon valley resident. I know the housing situation in california isnt rosy. Still very generous by global standards. And speaking of the US as a whole, it trails only behind Australia, and both are well well well above any economically comparable countries in sq-m/occupant. So we've got the heating and cooling of such arrangements; other aspects of lifestyle and consumption that likely arent compatible with "green"; and im gonna guess the Tesla typically is part of a multi-vehicle household?

are.....are you lost?

Kind of depressing the number of people in this thread that don't seem to care that their choice is good for the environment, or it wasn't a concern for them.

Wake up people. This is the only earth we've got. No do-overs. Start caring. I hope 50 years from now when I'm dead and gone, my daughter has a livable earth and a good chance at a happy life.

Also, it's a great car. ;)

ianc

EV's are still fairly new, and there aren't a whole lot of options. So there is a feeling that when someone gets an EV that they're predominately doing it for the environment.

So I think it's only natural for people to focus on the other reasons as a way to combat that image.

I liked the OP's post because it felt like he was coming from the perspective of a true gear head. A true gear head is likely not going to want to compromise on vehicle choice for the sake of the environment. They might even choose to cut back on meat or some other behavior first. Plus if someone doesn't drive a lot of miles per year it doesn't make much difference anyways.

My initial response to the OP was a joke based on the fact that when you're at the coveted destination you don't need to explain how you got here. That this is simply the place to be.

Whether you're a tree hugger or if you spit oil, and you think humans need to go the way of the dinosaur.

It's kinda nice because there is so much diversity in ownership that there are actually complaints about it taking too long to access a gun from the glovebox in a Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: Dolemite and tvad
i thought i was in the thread with people sharing why they like a car, outside of environmental factors, with a few others decrying why it's soo soo bad some dont care about those factors.

you tell me - is this the right place?

You seem to be a little against Teslas. Maybe there's some subtlety I'm missing. But probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.