Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought CPO Model S yesterday and now Tesla says they made a mistake and will not honor the Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sucks. From personal experience and reading here, tesla won't budge an inch to help satisfy the customer when they've made a mistake.

People have tried getting compensation for all sorts of mistakes they have made but in general tesla is unwilling to deviate from policy or give anything back. It's partly a management and chain of command problem, partly a dont give a rats ass people will buy our cars anyway problem.

I don’t know about the law in CA, but getting a lawyer will probably cost you too much to be worth the trouble. Assuming you’d even get anything.

You might want to present your case to the local TV news. Many stations (at least here) routinely have a “help out the consumer who got hosed” type of feature once a week.

Even if that doesn’t motivate them to honor the lower price, at least it lets more people know the shady stuff that goes on. Daily price changes of $1000 or so are ludicrous and not in a good way.

The CA local news would more likely tar and feather you for speaking against the Tesla orthodoxy. :)

That sucks. From personal experience and reading here, tesla won't budge an inch to help satisfy the customer when they've made a mistake.

People have tried getting compensation for all sorts of mistakes they have made but in general tesla is unwilling to deviate from policy or give anything back. It's partly a management and chain of command problem, partly a dont give a rats ass people will buy our cars anyway problem.

I got 60% off new tires in compensation for a damaged (by the SC) headliner that took 6+ months to be replaced, and $250 credited to my account for a scratched (by the SC) bumper that did not look totally right after it was fixed.

Both about a month ago, both volunteered by the manager of the SC without me even asking...

What does the CPO Model S really have to warrant getting it? Especially when Tesla doesn't refurbish anything, and won't even let you test drive it.

Better looks
More room
Better UI layout
Heated Steering wheel (possibly)
Automatic Lift gate (possibly)

Respectfully submitted
I think the list could be much larger then that! Perhaps this is OPs motivation. It would be mine

The S still has things the 3 doesn't:
  • Larger
  • Hatchback
  • Biodefense HEPA air filtration
  • Air suspension
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Rear Facing Seats
  • More storage(see below)
  • Self-presenting door handles
  • AM Radio (I'm not sure it still has it.)
  • XM Radio
  • Faster AC charging (I think it is still available.)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Cooled seats
  • Dynamic turning headlights
  • Passive entry fob
  • Sunroof option
  • More storage adding-Larger Frunk(TM3 is not a frunk) Not sure what I would put there?
  • Roof Rack capable with integrated mounting hardware(Sunroof and XM required)
  • Leather(That for many who paid for it, want it) I personally love the smell when I get in everyday.
  • Integrated U/I cluster.
  • 80A charging or 59-60 miles per hour HPWC option with Dual charger option. Traveling and at Home.
  • Headrests adjust.
  • Unlimited Supercharging for life of the car on many Model S in the wild.
  • Good financing new
  • Leasing New
  • 2 year lease terms on many new.
  • Compelling list of reasons to have bought or buy a Model S new or used.
It is a different car, and some people prefer it even if it costs more than another car.

I feel also that the huge difference now between the 75/75D to to 100/100D is making it possible for the 75s go up in demand. Just the opposite of your thinking.
What matters here is the car the OP is looking at all the way in NY not seeing it worth anything at all. If I was treated like your being treated, I'd move along altogether. Its wrong way of doing business really, its a sign.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Hello All!!

I just got another call from my sales guys informing me that they made a mistake in pricing the car and that the car now is $13,400 more than it was advertised at.

Thanks!!

I am curious what year Model S this was (2016.5 AP1 or late 2016+ AP2). Was it AP2 hardware and they mistakenly priced it like AP1 hardware. I have seen a 10-13K difference in that alone when shopping CPOs.

In the end it sucks that they will not honor their listed price, but mistakes happen and you have to appreciate they are not going to sell the car at a loss.

As an aside - It always seems like the lowest priced (heavily optioned) CPO's are coming out of New York. I am curious why that is.

I am curious what year Model S this was (2016.5 AP1 or late 2016+ AP2). Was it AP2 hardware and they mistakenly priced it like AP1 hardware. I have seen a 10-13K difference in that alone when shopping CPOs.

In the end it sucks that they will not honor their listed price, but mistakes happen and you have to appreciate they are not going to sell the car at a loss.

As an aside - It always seems like the lowest priced (heavily optioned) CPO's are coming out of New York. I am curious why that is.

There's a big depot in Newburgh NY where they process a lot of the east coast lease returns and demos.

When I purchased my CPO last month, the price dropped to $51,000, and I placed the order, but when I noticed my invoices that Tesla emailed me showed $51,400 I was confused. I contacted them and even showed screen shots as I had taken some to send to my friend, and they would not honor the price. It was $400 so I wasn't going to fight for it, but it was quite annoying.

Hi Guys!!

I did escalate it to his manager but have not heard from anyone all day.
I am in the process of getting the press involved and writing a letter to the BOD of Tesla and the AG.

Thanks!!

I really think you should rethink your approach here. It seems Tesla made a mistake and at the end of the day, you can't force them to sell a car to you. There is well established precedent in the courts that establishes a company is NOT liable for "mistake prices." At the end of the day, if they don't want to sell the car to you, you can't make them do it.

You efforts would be much more fruitful if you work with Tesla. Perhaps they can offer you free scheduled services as some form of compensation for the inconvenience. That seems like a fair way to resolve this. Have you requested that? Also you mentioned there are other cars around the same price range so have you considered a different car?

I can pretty much guarantee to you that you will get nowhere with legal threats and trying to involve the BOD. In fact it is likely that the moment you bring up legal threats that they completely stop talking to you.

Try to find someone at Tesla who will listen that you can reason with and find a mutually acceptable solution. The good news is that there are PLENTY of cars available for sale and many more will be available in the coming months. You may see even better deals in the near future.

Reactions: abasile and Vinc
Best outcome here is Tesla refunds OP's deposit and sells the car at the higher price to another buyer. The backlash on Tesla keeping a good-faith deposit would cost them a lot more. Maybe. Depending on which side of the bed Elon got up this morning.

I agree with the being nice approach.

Other then free maintenance what's a low cost thing for Tesla to offer? I think a upgraded battery pack (not sure what they cost Tesla?)

Maybe giving a $ discount on another CPO? I'm also thinking of jumping ship to a demo/inventory M3 if they can add FUSC

good advice
wonder what lifetime free supercharging costs Tesla?

I know EAP is a 5k upgrade on the M3, but doesn't cost them extra like it would on my 2015 MS
Mark my words, it's just a matter of time before Tesla drops that feature also and there isn't a thing anyone will be able to do about it esp. when they start upgrading the SCs it will be even less attractive in 2 or 3 years as a CPO "feature". Tesla can probably bottleneck SC charge times via OTA "updates" without even notifying owners, based on past behavior IMO.

I really think you should rethink your approach here. It seems Tesla made a mistake and at the end of the day, you can't force them to sell a car to you.

I totally agree, as well as this is not worth it either. At this point, this is the last car on the planet the OP should ever buy.

Tell someone they can have something, they don't want it, tell someone they can't have it and they are all over it. My intuition tells me again, run from this car. This is your last chance from being shackled to a bad car, if nothing else a bad experience and it has not even started.
To boot its 3000 miles away, sight unseen really. Consider yourself lucky to be walking away.
Of course since the price change

1. You should get your deposit back or apply it to another car you can see.

2. Perhaps since the price change a new set of cars has opened up(in your mind) at some point between the old number and the new number?

3. Take the easy route and order a Model 3 new and then it'll just be your car and not some left overs.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeEmCee
At this point Tesla has to decide whether they really want to improve the CPO buying experience or if they should simply partner up with someone like CarMax to do it.

They have already partnered with some auction house reading elsewhere. Jan 5, taking my daughter back to college two loaded car carriers all Tesla AP-1 MX-M3 cars headed North I assume to northern location to be auctioned off. The Tesla lots down here are bulging with cars they cannot sell.

Mark my words, it's just a matter of time before Tesla drops that feature also and there isn't a thing anyone will be able to do about it esp. when they start upgrading the SCs it will be even less attractive in 2 or 3 years as a CPO "feature". Tesla can probably bottleneck SC charge times via OTA "updates" without even notifying owners, based on past behavior IMO.

Not all MS people use FUSC heavily, have they throttled in the past?