Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought FSD today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got FSD when it was on sale. Sure it doesn't do anything now, but I didn't get the car on a lease and usually keep my cars for 10+ years so it seems like a good way to not spend more money later.
We are all early adopters right now, just not as early as the folks who got Model S & X and definitely not as early as the Roadster owners!
Each model is basically funding what comes next and all the developments that come along with it, so on that basis I'm happy to invest in the future.

This is a pointless argument, both sides. If we didn’t buy the FSD software, it would be less developed than it now is. Yes, it cost more. Yes, I did it to get the new hardware and encourage the software development. Yes, It seems to be working. The owners who don’t buy it are justified in their saving cash. Those of us who did will be happy when it succeeds. Just no complaining about future costs. If it works in the next 12 months the price will go up significantly.

Note that today Tesla drivers who use AP have significantly fewer accidents. FSD will simply be safer. It was worth it in my view. Tesla’s reduce the driver’s distraction and it tries to protect you from other vehicles. In my opinion this is the true value of a Tesla, it’s dramatically safer. FSD components contribute to this safety.

Everyone has their own opinion and it’s personally correct for them. No justifications needed and whining about price fluctuations won’t change them in your favor.

Note that today Tesla drivers who use AP have significantly fewer accidents.

Source?

Where AP is supposed to be used ("driving on dry, straight roads,such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."), the conditions are inherently safer.

In other words, if you track accident rate on cruise control, vs off, you would see the same numbers. IMO.

When I was ordering the car in sep 2019, I had two options within my budget.

Option 1: while m3p, without FSD for +8k over AWD
Option 2: red AWD for +2k plus adding FSD for +6k.

Picked option 2. Guess I am minority here.

I thought fsd was the main reason to own a Tesla before I owned a Tesla. Turns out it was everything else.

personally, I think they build a great car and I’m not sold on FSD rising in price that much.
They are def raising the price. They even raised the price of the base model 3 by 1K already. There is a huge demand and it’s only increasing.
I bought FSD and upgraded from EAP. AP is unbelievable. I can’t leave without it

I bought FSD not because I think level 5 no geofence is coming anytime soon. I bought it because I'm a tech nerd and I want to watch the development/process in real time. It was a smaller amount for me since I had EAP, rather than AP. This is such an amazingly complex problem to solve, I just really enjoy following along and be part of this significant part of human history. My last car I junked at 14 years old...so it's a couple hundred bucks a year (though at some point they will want me to pay for FSD 2.0 or whatever...fine!). Plus it helps keep Tesla in business, which I think is important as well...if nothing else it sends a message on where future money will be had for big corporations.

When I was ordering the car in sep 2019, I had two options within my budget.

Option 1: while m3p, without FSD for +8k over AWD
Option 2: red AWD for +2k plus adding FSD for +6k.

Picked option 2. Guess I am minority here.

For what it's worth, I used to feel in the minority for not having FSD on these forums (still do generally outside this thread). It would be interesting to know how many actually have the FSD option!

They are def raising the price. They even raised the price of the base model 3 by 1K already. There is a huge demand and it’s only increasing.
I bought FSD and upgraded from EAP. AP is unbelievable. I can’t leave without it

I like it as well, but I really couldn’t justify moving down a trim level to get it or waiting to buy a model three till I could afford the extra 6K

Source?

Where AP is supposed to be used ("driving on dry, straight roads,such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets."), the conditions are inherently safer.

In other words, if you track accident rate on cruise control, vs off, you would see the same numbers. IMO.

Per miles driven Tesla’s get into fewer accidents, per miles driven Tesla’s with AP on get into even fewer accidents. It’s an easily googled fact.

Talking about quality:
This is my second Model 3 actually.
The 1st one was early production RWD car, VIN 22xxx, which was much better quality overall. No paint issues, alignment problems or whatsoever, at least met my expectations.
I got that one with Enhanced AP for 5k and later updated to FSD for 2k mostly for HW3 upgrade perspective.

The new one is AWD, VIN 492xxx, came with AP and HW3 standard. The build quality is utter garbage, numerous paint issues, misalignment of panels, door handles, misaligned wheels, missing clips all over the car.
Guess this is how they scale the production.

So you bought a second model 3 with lots of issues and accepted the car. Very smart....

I also got the FSD when it was cheaper in March, but was wondering how much Tesla charges to purchase FSD now after the fact...

i can enable it in my account right now (mid-2018 w/ EAP) for $3k. the price i agreed to when i bought the car was $5k after the fact, and from what others have said on these forums they will honor that price if you ask...which is what i'll do if they end up raising it past that number. unless there are actual features available that i judge to be worth the $3k before they raise it...right now, i can't justify paying $3k for vaporware.

i can enable it in my account right now (mid-2018 w/ EAP) for $3k. the price i agreed to when i bought the car was $5k after the fact, and from what others have said on these forums they will honor that price if you ask...which is what i'll do if they end up raising it past that number. unless there are actual features available that i judge to be worth the $3k before they raise it...right now, i can't justify paying $3k for vaporware.

Thanks for the info !! Sounds like a plan - I'm not even using Navigate on Autopilot right now or smart summon, as I prefer driving for now ....

I bought FSD not because I think level 5 no geofence is coming anytime soon. I bought it because I'm a tech nerd and I want to watch the development/process in real time. It was a smaller amount for me since I had EAP, rather than AP. This is such an amazingly complex problem to solve, I just really enjoy following along and be part of this significant part of human history. My last car I junked at 14 years old...so it's a couple hundred bucks a year (though at some point they will want me to pay for FSD 2.0 or whatever...fine!). Plus it helps keep Tesla in business, which I think is important as well...if nothing else it sends a message on where future money will be had for big corporations.

Pretty much this for me too.

Per miles driven Tesla’s get into fewer accidents, per miles driven Tesla’s with AP on get into even fewer accidents. It’s an easily googled fact.

Alright, let's try this then.

I Google'd "model 3 autopilot safety". The first 3 links are...
They're all tesla.com. That's a bad start since it's first-party information which can be manipulated, but we'd be hard-pressed to find anything else.

The first links touts safety, but mentions no numerical or comparative data.

The second links has a lot of forward-looking statements that in my opinion are downright misleading. It is not at all clear that the features mentioned are not currently available, especially when skimming the page. Also, no numerical or comparative data.

The third link finally has some meat. Let's pull 2019 Q3 data,

In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.34 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.70 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.82 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 498,000 miles.

So you are correct in that while AP is enabled, it is true that more miles are traveled per accident on average. However, this does not account for the fact that AP is normally used in safer situations at higher speeds (meaning more miles traveled).

A town may be 10 miles in diameter and experience a lot of accidents per day, but the 30 mile highway connecting two towns with many inter-town commuters may only have one or two accidents per day. People that have vehicles for "in town" travel very few miles compared to highway commuters. Only highway commuters can really use AP right now. The very true fact is that these AP stats sound good on paper, but all they're saying is "higher speed safe areas have less accidents per mile than lower speed complex areas", which is trivially true for all vehicles.

Furthermore, one can/should not use AP in poor weather. Doing so is obviously less safe and not recommended by Tesla. This statement alone should be evidence that AP is not universally safer. It may help a small amount on clear days on highways that are relatively straight.

Additionally, we don't know if "Autopilot engaged" in this blurb means Autosteer+TACC or perhaps also just TACC. Since TACC is part of AP, they certainly could include TACC-only usage in these numbers.

What is good to see and has less of a bias is that the active safety systems help, though this again should be true for all manufacturers.

And what is even better to see is that on the third page, one of the early links shows comparisons to other vehicles for NHTSA ratings and testing. Regardless of whether or not AP is safer, if you get into an accident, the Model 3 is one of the safest vehicles you can be in.