Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Dust Brand New Model 3 (Help)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my M3 for about 18 months. I've never had an issue with brake dust. It might be because I live in a very rural area and can rely on regenerative braking for the majority of times I have to slow down or stop. But then, except for Portland, most of Oregon is pretty rural too. I'd suggest cleaning the car well, then after you've driven it for awhile, wipe down the wheels (just the wheels) and bring that rag with you to a Tesla service center and see what they say.

When i have a new car or change out brakes/rotors i more or less follow this process:

1. From 60 MPH, apply the brakes gently a few times to bring them up to their usual operating temperature. This prepares your pads and rotors for the high heat generated in the next steps.
  2. Make a near-stop from 60 to about 10 MPH. Press the brakes firmly, but not so hard that the ABS engages or the wheels lock. Once you've slowed down, immediately speed up to 60 MPH and apply the brakes again. Perform this cycle 8-10 times. Do not come to a complete stop! If you hold the brake pedal down while stopped you will leave excessive pad material on the rotors and ruin your braking performance.
  3. Once you've performed that final near-stop, accelerate and drive a bit more, trying to use the brakes as little as possible so they can cool down. Again, do not come to a complete stop while the brakes are still hot.

I have had very minimal brake dust. And that was mostly when new as the pads seat in.

If you think your car is bad, you have never owned a German car. After cleaning the front wheels they are black after three stops. Okay, I'm exaggerating. But not much.
I’ve had several BMWs and Benzes over the years, and I can attest to the brake dust problem. There are a few companies out there that offer pads that reduce it. That did help.

I’ve had several BMWs and Benzes over the years, and I can attest to the brake dust problem. There are a few companies out there that offer pads that reduce it. That did help.
In my limited experience over the years the better the pad, the more it dusts. Has that matched your experience? Did those lower dust pads bite and modulate and handle heat as well as the dustier ones they replaced?

The pads (and brakes overall) in my M3P feel good but it's really hard to compare dust levels with my past ICE cars! Regen sure helps these seem like low dust brakes. 😀

In my limited experience over the years the better the pad, the more it dusts. Has that matched your experience? Did those lower dust pads bite and modulate and handle heat as well as the dustier ones they replaced?

The pads (and brakes overall) in my M3P feel good but it's really hard to compare dust levels with my past ICE cars! Regen sure helps these seem like low dust brakes. 😀
I'll give them that. The OEM pads on the wife's SLK 350 work great. I'm impressed with the stopping power. But the dust is awful. I suspect that is because of the "organic" compound. Germans. Green you know. Fanatically so.

I'll give them that. The OEM pads on the wife's SLK 350 work great. I'm impressed with the stopping power. But the dust is awful. I suspect that is because of the "organic" compound. Germans. Green you know. Fanatically so.
Yeah, the Germans are so green that they shut down all their nuclear power plants and burn some of the dirtiest coal on earth instead.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
I've had my M3 for about 18 months. I've never had an issue with brake dust. It might be because I live in a very rural area and can rely on regenerative braking for the majority of times I have to slow down or stop. But then, except for Portland, most of Oregon is pretty rural too. I'd suggest cleaning the car well, then after you've driven it for awhile, wipe down the wheels (just the wheels) and bring that rag with you to a Tesla service center and see what they say.
If you want get on service centers *sugar* list, this sounds like a great plan.

Reactions: rpiotro
I'm pretty sure It does use the brakes for that last 5 mph. Just the rears I believe. Still should last a long, long time.

I say that because the stops became even smoother after the brakes were bedded in.

Oh yes, on the Hold drive mode it blends in regular brakes for a complete stop, but regen itself is motor only.

The last OTA update mentioned Hold mode using regen to work at even lower mph but no mention of actual numbers.