Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Lights - anyone done a video of them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fav from the video. Evil was my first thought. Comin to get you gas cars!

tesla headlights.PNG

That was great... exactly what I wanted to know!

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen this a lot with youtube. I think it is the frame rate of the device used to record the video.

A very standard process for regulating the brightness of LEDs (where multiple brightness levels are needed, or where thermals are being controlled) is to pulse-width modulate the LED driver. This process drives the LEDs instantaneously at full-brightness, but appears to your eyes at a brightness near the PWM value - this only woks at modulation rates over 50 hz or so, and most systems like this use 100-200Hz mod rates.

Because these frequencies intermodulate with the video camera (very different from the way that the eye integrates brightness), it looks like a flashing.

Very similar to spinning wheels at certain harmonic frequencies looking still on moving cars, or sometimes drifting backwards.

Uh oh. Does your upper brake light bar have an LED out?

Yup! Didn't realize it until I review this video I made :smile: I just let service know.

- - - Updated - - -

Great video - but I am not sure - did you show any rear fog-light(s )?

I didn't try to put fogs on while video'ing the rear -- wasn't thinking there were rear fog lights. I can double-check that.

- - - Updated - - -

Great vid! So the LEDs next to the fogs can be turned on and off? Is that part of the drl control? I didn't realize there were so many configurations.

The DRLs only turn on the "eyebrow" to 100% around the main headlights. The LED strip below, near the fog lights, come on with parking / main. Turning parking/main lights on reduces the intensity of the DRL / "eyebrow" lights (as does using the turn signal).